Building the ideal(ish) Music Server

That's awesome @realysm42 - I'm a little jealous, I got an i5 4590T at a price I couldn't turn down and that was kinda that. 6Mb cache. My WAF equity is low to move to an i7 right about now :P Have some Xeons about the place but not motherboard-compatible.

I take it you've disabled hyperthreading?

My own CPU isolation/thread allocation scheme is a bit different - I'm in Linux and I use different player software - my stuff reacts well to running on a single core only.

There's a few other tricks - what's your motherboard?

Edited by rmpfyf

40 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

That's awesome @realysm42 - I'm a little jealous, I got an i5 4590T at a price I couldn't turn down and that was kinda that. 6Mb cache. My WAF equity is low to move to an i7 right about now :P Have some Xeons about the place but not motherboard-compatible.

I take it you've disabled hyperthreading?

My own CPU isolation/thread allocation scheme is a bit different - I'm in Linux and I use different player software - my stuff reacts well to running on a single core only.

There's a few other tricks - what's your motherboard?

The i7 was a nice step up as the pc is used for other things besides music; it was a pricey choice but will hopefully serve for some time yet.

Idk what else you use your pc for but your i5 is cetrainly no slouch!

I've not disabled hyperthreading (or underclocked yet). I'll have a play with the underclock this weekend.

Is disabling hyperthreading meant to imrpove sq too?

I'm simple; 4GB single-sided RAM, an SSD on another power rail, different clock on the PCH, ethernet optoisolator. 

I run the CPU at 800MHz. I run the graphics at 400MHz - running it at an even multiple of the CPU actually made a nice difference, when you think about it they're on the same CPU die... goes from there. More work to do there though. RAM at 1600MHz. There are better ways to work out what's optimal though I've not had time to crack out the equipment and look at the +12VDC in detail. Maybe in a few weeks.

Dropping hyperthreading should improve SQ. Does here. It's another scheduler in the operating system, another decision before doing anything the CPU has to make. Drop the decision and you're fine; that 'thinking' time is variable and contributes to jitter. So no HT. 

Try limiting your CPU C-states. Your BIOS should be able to limit your going beyond C3 - more than that and your CPU will shut down that nice big cache intermittently. Kill it in BIOS and the OS should recognise this. Won't make anything run slower, just slightly more power at idle. You'll get bigger power reductions by dropping your CPU speed - you can do 800MHz. I'm 35W rated like you but in actuality I'm at far, far less than that. Makes a significant difference. You can either lock this stuff down in BIOS or do it in s/ware, easier in BIOS. I've got a version of mine that'll play like xxHighEnd - run the CPU at whatever when its non-audio and then lock it right down for music

Some players reckon you should drop C-states altogether (C0/C1 only - the CPU never 'sleeps', it's always ready for war!) My players currently don't respond best to this, but wtfplayer (for those that use it) does. 

If it's a Gigabyte motherboard there's a filter PLL setting that works very well (LCPLL/high). This affects power quality and SQ nicely for me.

Anything that you're not using (factory sound, serial ports etc etc) shut down in BIOS. You can desolder them too.... but that's a bit down the road :) 

• 2 weeks later...

@rmpfyf thanks, I'll have a crack at your suggestions this weekend and report my findings.

I just switched Fidelizer to Purist and I'm surprised at the difference it makes actually; more of what i reported in my earlier post... Bass and dynamic impact really benefit, better definiton and 'thwack' eg guitars sound more vivacious, the sound springs out. 

There's also more low level detail coming into the mix, I'm guessing from a further lowered noise floor.

Very impressed by this software :)

Edited by realysm42

On 31/1/2017 at 7:50 AM, Chanh said:

List stands as of 31st January 2017;

1. Chanh; 2 x #1

2. rmpfyf; 2 x #1

3. BioBrian; 1 x #1

4. Yarland; 1 x #1

5. Jventer; 1 x #1

6. Jhya; 2 x #1

7. Kukynas; 1 x #1 

8. qwerter; 1 x #1

9. listener; 1 x #1

@Listener- your added in the list. Thank you.

For future interest(s), kindly assist me by update this list here in this thread to register your interest, PLEASE! Our new born decided to jump the gun, arrived earlier than anticipated, hence might not visiting SNA as frequent as I would like.

Cheers,

Chanh.

Hey guys, new comer from Hong Kong. First post here. Had been watching this thread for months while I am planning to build my own music server!! Luckily it seems that the boat is still available? Would like to join (1 x #1) if Chanh doesn't mind to ship it to HK?

Thanks.

57 minutes ago, K_C_ said:

Hey guys, new comer from Hong Kong. First post here. Had been watching this thread for months while I am planning to build my own music server!! Luckily it seems that the boat is still available? Would like to join (1 x #1) if Chanh doesn't mind to ship it to HK?

Thanks.

Welcome and thanks for your interest. No problem about shipping it to HongKong.

I plan to host a gtg in my shed to those who can make it and may be they can post their feedback(s) about this unit.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2017 at 11:51 AM, 125dBmonster said:

Oh, Gosh, Lovely addition to our World.

Congratulations @Chanh

Please put me down for the group buy of your boards. One day I may decide to r a PC from the power point rather than a battery :) 

Regards

Matt

@Chanh 

Still keen if you are. :)

@125dBmonster

1. Chanh; 2 x #1

2. rmpfyf; 2 x #1

3. BioBrian; 1 x #1

4. Yarland; 1 x #1

5. Jventer; 1 x #1

6. Jhya; 2 x #1

7. Kukynas; 2 x #1 

8. qwerter; 1 x #1

9. listener; 1 x #1

10. K_C_; 1 x #1

11. 125dBmonster; 1 x #1

if anybody else interested as Chanh mentioned just update your name in the list with number of units you need and resend updated list

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kukynas said:

@125dBmonster

1. Chanh; 2 x #1

2. rmpfyf; 2 x #1

3. BioBrian; 1 x #1

4. Yarland; 1 x #1

5. Jventer; 1 x #1

6. Jhya; 2 x #1

7. Kukynas; 2 x #1 

8. qwerter; 1 x #1

9. listener; 1 x #1

10. K_C_; 1 x #1

11. 125dBmonster; 1 x #1

if anybody else interested as Chanh mentioned just update your name in the list with number of units you need and resend updated list

Thanks Kukynas, appreciated a lot.

Regards

13 hours ago, kukynas said:

finally, standard pico boards arrived, now just the chassis and cabling and we are good to go....

IMG_0367s.JPG

IMG_0368s.JPG

Had a long history with these types of DC/DC supply boards.

How do these ones go ? 

57 minutes ago, kukynas said:

@125dBmonster

1. Chanh; 2 x #1

2. rmpfyf; 2 x #1

3. BioBrian; 1 x #1

4. Yarland; 1 x #1

5. Jventer; 1 x #1

6. Jhya; 2 x #1

7. Kukynas; 2 x #1 

8. qwerter; 1 x #1

9. listener; 1 x #1

10. K_C_; 1 x #1

11. 125dBmonster; 1 x #1

Thanks kukynas. Can't wait to get the PSU!!

1 hour ago, 125dBmonster said:

Had a long history with these types of DC/DC supply boards.

How do these ones go ? 

don't know yet, will take another week+ to get it completed so will report afterwards

1 hour ago, AudioGeek said:

Which psu is this group buy?

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/82802-building-the-idealish-music-server/?do=findComment&comment=1723415

15 hours ago, AudioGeek said:

Which psu is this group buy?

This is the one. Here is the working progress and is first draft. I do not have the luxury in time these days, to finalise it without the certainty of it will go ahead. Nevertheless - Some works and efforts have been invested....!

When your interests reached the target of 20+, I will move this group-by to a more appropriate thread, and hopefully by April we'll get some actions......

ATX for Chanh.png

• Like 3

Hi Gents,

For the Clarity, this is simply an AXT board, a logic to specs required for ATX's specifications, and is not a power supply. You will need three decent quality Linear Power Supplies, namely 12vdc, 5vdc, and 3.3vdc. 

Cheers.

Edited by Chanh
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chanh said:

Hi Gents,

For the Clarity, this is simply an AXT board, a logic to specs required for ATX's specifications, and is not a power supply. You will need three decent quality Linear Power Supplies, namely 12vdc, 5vdc, and 3.3vdc. Due to time constraint, with my recent new born, and also caring my other 3-years old child, there is unfortunately no provision for Power supplies group-buy. I will see how things eventuate in next 4-6 months. In the mean time, please source them from off the shelves, or I can make to order but will take time. Whatever, it will be at cost price with 10% on top for my overhead cost. Sound fair?

Please also note - all these are for diy and non-profitable exercise only, NO COMERCIAL PURPOSEs PLEASE! Kindly request no pm with commercial interest.......!

Cheers.

Hi @Chanh,

Thanks for clarifying the details. What if I have a JS-2 and would like to get it power a computer by using #1 option? Do I need an extra LPS for this configuration?

Edited by K_C_

1 hour ago, K_C_ said:

Hi @Chanh,

Thanks for clarifying the details. What if I have a JS-2 and would like to get it power a computer by using #1 option? Do I need an extra LPS for this configuration?

If you have JS-2 then your 12vdc and 5vdc are sorted. Couple choices here for you. Either get another 3.3vdc @ 3A, preferable 5A.  The other choice is, I can modify the ATX board with RDO from 12vdc rail to 3.3vdc. For best SQ, preferable to have each psu to each rail. 

5 hours ago, fury said:

Interested in one, possibly two depending on cost.

What sort of amperage are we talking about on the +12v rail?

At this current time, it may be $35 each pcb. Ofcourse, price will be cheaper if we get more interests.

ATX board, can handle up to 10A at peak or 5A RMS to the applicable voltage rail. Hope that helps?

• Like 1