KLEIN DAC (AKM) 2015 OFFICAL RELEASE

• 1 month later...

Hi guys been looking for a dac and this piece of kit keeps popping up and wonderful bang for buck dac, i have never owned a dac so I'm looking forward to hearing the difference in using a dac.

Main question is my system is a slightly warm and laid back so what's the signature of this dac? As I want to breath some life into my system as I was looking to get a sabre es9018 dac heard they are more vibrate in face sound signature.

And is the new version worth waiting for compared to current available version, thanks.

System is primare cd22 shanling A40mkii class a intergrated amp into hifiman he-6.

If by "new version" you're talking about the pre-amp, remote controlled version that's been spoken about - it's probably still a few months (at least) away and I imagine will come at a higher cost.

Some people describe the ES9018 chip as "bright" or "forward" however it really all comes down to the implementation of the whole circuit. The Klein uses the AKM4990EQ chip and I wouldn't describe the DAC 'sound' as being anything other than accurate. There doesn't seem to be any colouration of the sound, either to the 'warm' side or the 'bright' side.

Hi guys been looking for a dac and this piece of kit keeps popping up and wonderful bang for buck dac, i have never owned a dac so I'm looking forward to hearing the difference in using a dac.

Main question is my system is a slightly warm and laid back so what's the signature of this dac? As I want to breath some life into my system as I was looking to get a sabre es9018 dac heard they are more vibrate in face sound signature.

And is the new version worth waiting for compared to current available version, thanks.

System is primare cd22 shanling A40mkii class a intergrated amp into hifiman he-6.

If you dont need DSD/remote etc - the one he is selling now is fine. For the price it is very good.

• 3 months later...

Has there been talk of a DAC/pre (with remote) using the AK chip? I was planning on heading in that exact direction with another product but would be thrilled to consider an Aussie product instead!

Has there been talk of a DAC/pre (with remote) using the AK chip? I was planning on heading in that exact direction with another product but would be thrilled to consider an Aussie product instead!

Yes, there has

Yes, there has

Do you happen to know any more? I'd love it to better the TEAC UD 503- that's what I have in my sights currently.

Edited by Bear72

Only what's been loosely discussed in the other Klein threads - Clay will eventually be working on an all-in-one unit with Klein DAC and pre-amp with remote controlled source + filter switching, possibly with a display and line out for headphone use.

I don't think Clay has had a spare minute thus far to make a start on it, though.

• Like 1

Only what's been loosely discussed in the other Klein threads - Clay will eventually be working on an all-in-one unit with Klein DAC and pre-amp with remote controlled source + filter switching, possibly with a display and line out for headphone use.

I don't think Clay has had a spare minute thus far to make a start on it, though.

I can understand that. Do we know if the plan is to have it convert DSD natively or even do double or quad DSD?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Hi Guys,

yes I am currently working on a DAC/Preamp combo. The tricky part is writing the control code for the AK4490EQ but once that is done it will open up the DSD option a well. It will have a volume bypass DSD mode which should give maximum sound quality as it bypasses a lot of internal circuitry including the Delta sigma modulator. You lose DAC Chip level control but that is not a problem as I have level control with the Muse chip in the preamp section. At this stage it will be native DSD mode but AKM have a new premium sample rate converter which I may use in a later model. It looks like a great SRC but I need to do some R & D with it first - link  http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/detail/0056/

The rough specs for the upcoming DAC/pre at this stage are;

Three digital inputs the same as the current Klein but with native DSD on the USB. An additional three analogue inputs. Remote volume control, filter selection & input selection. It will be RCA out but I may offer a balance out version as well. Display screen for input, level & filter modes. Dual outputs on the RCA version for subs or bi amping. 

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 5

Hi Guys,

yes I am currently working on a DAC/Preamp combo. The tricky part is writing the control code for the AK4490EQ but once that is done it will open up the DSD option a well. It will have a volume bypass DSD mode which should give maximum sound quality as it bypasses a lot of internal circuitry including the Delta sigma modulator. You lose DAC Chip level control but that is not a problem as I have level control with the Muse chip in the preamp section. At this stage it will be native DSD mode but AKM have a new premium sample rate converter which I may use in a later model. It looks like a great SRC but I need to do some R & D with it first - link http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/detail/0056/

Three digital inputs the same as the current Klein but with native DSD on the USB. An additional three analogue inputs. Remote volume control, filter selection & input selection. It will be RCA out but I may offer a balance out version as well. Display screen for input, level & filter modes. Dual outputs on the RCA version for subs or bi amping.

Sounds like just what I'm after[emoji2]

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

yes I am currently working on a DAC/Preamp combo. The tricky part is writing the control code for the AK4490EQ but once that is done it will open up the DSD option a well. It will have a volume bypass DSD mode which should give maximum sound quality as it bypasses a lot of internal circuitry including the Delta sigma modulator. You lose DAC Chip level control but that is not a problem as I have level control with the Muse chip in the preamp section. At this stage it will be native DSD mode but AKM have a new premium sample rate converter which I may use in a later model. It looks like a great SRC but I need to do some R & D with it first - link  http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/detail/0056/

This post make me very happy.

This is great news as I am patiently waiting..........but temptation keeps coming up with different offers of DAC's

Will there be any options for a special order like a tape output or balance control ?

Thanks for all your efforts on this Clay

• Like 1

Tape output, now that brings back memories Brian. I might need that too once I get one of my Revox B77's up & running. We were thinking of offering a fixed out as well so you could probably use that but no balance option. The circuit boards are rather complex so it would not be easy to modifi for a special order.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Clay,

do you want to offer the DSD DAC as a DAC only version without preamp too?

Matt