Project Cars

I'm speechless.

This plays and looks unlike anything I've experienced before. It looks real. And it's Rift compatible - which means I'll be buying the Oculus CV1 when it comes out in 2016 Q1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcYcVURP_1Q?vq=hd1080

My current specs:

GPU: Strix GTX 970

CPU: 3.5GHz I5-4690

RAM: 16GB

Panel: Bravia KDL55W900A

AMP: Naquadria Trinity Digital (modified)

Speakers: Elac FS 249 (modified) + Supertweeters

Wheel: G27

Rig: Next Level GTxtreme V2

• Like 1

Got it home and had a quick play, seems really, really good. These days I only game on the PS4 though so was rather annoyed to find out it does't support my G25... Guess I'll be getting a Thrustmaster...

• 7 months later...

I remember playing Geoff Crammond's Formula One Grand Prix on my DOS PC ages ago. It must have been a 386 PC fully loaded with RAM and graphics even with a Roland LAPC-1 sound card AND a SoundBlaster. I couldn't afford a steering wheel then so I played it on a PC. I remember memorising the track - right down to the number of taps of the key assigned to the brake for each corner. Insane. Of course, these days I can't play The Chain without thinking about the game :) The Roland really sounded good with the MIDI soundtrack. 

But I digress.

I bought the PS4 version of Project Cars last year. I normally game on the Xbox One but it turned out, the Xbox One version would require me getting a completely new steering wheel - and I was still having a blast with my Fanatec Porsche Turbo S wheel.

But a bout of sickness and other circumstances saw the game left in its shrink wrap. And I kinda forgot about it. 

I bought Forza 6 in the run up to Christmas but the lack of a compatible wheel made me put off playing it. The Christmas break allowed me to start looking at the steering wheel options and to be honest, I couldn't even convince myself on which wheel to go for. 

If you go with the Logitech camp, you are now forced to choose between a PS4/PC specific wheel or an XBox1/PC specific wheel. 

Ditto with Thrustmaster. The only universal wheel was from Fanatec and their prices have really ballooned since I got my Turbo S wheel from them almost 4 years ago. The wheel base alone costs close to 1000. And thats before adding a steering wheel. A proper wheel would set you back another 700 bucks (with the Xbox One hub). Or you could get a plasticky XB1 rim for $250. As a reviewer put it, it's insane to pay that much for a base and then go for a cheap small rim. 

Anyway, I remembered getting Project Cars on the PS4 so I could use my old steering wheel. 

So I hooked up my PS4 to my TV in the study and gave it a whirl this evening. But try as hard as I could, I could not get the game to recognise the wheel. 

So I upgraded the firmware on the Porsche Turbo S wheel. That took a while because it wouldn't work on Windows 10. And I couldn't get my Virtual Box Windows 7 VM to connect to the wheel. Lucky I found a Mac with BootCamp Windows 7 lying around. And got it upgraded. 

Tested it with Project Cars and again.. no joy. 

Finally I dug out my old PSN account and logged in to download the latest patch for Project Cars. Yes, even console games have patches these days. v7.00 apparently! I still think it is crazy you have to log in to PSN to download a patch. 

Almost two hours later - the 5.8GB patch was downloaded and installed. 

And this time, the Turbo S wheel lit up when the game loaded - with the red LED showing 

I did a quick test of it and have to say everything seems to be working. Force feedback, the manual shifters etc. But I would probably need to tweak the settings a bit more tomorrow. The "return spring" is waaaay too strong for one thing. It was kinda hard to drive with the audio off since I do use the engine note to change gears :)

The graphics in project cars look pretty :)

I gave up on car games years ago, even with a wheel and pedals I would end up ripping the steering wheel form the desk it was secured to :emot-bang:

The graphics in project cars look pretty :)

I gave up on car games years ago, even with a wheel and pedals I would end up ripping the steering wheel form the desk it was secured to :emot-bang:

Get a wheel stand. There's an outfit based near the Gold Coast I think

http://www.pagnianimports.com.au

Their wheel stand allows a racing seat to be added later on ;) or bought as a bundle. 

• 1 month later...

How does PJ Cars compare to Forza 6? I bought F6 on the weekend and i am loving it, i think i will finally buy a wheel. Its a little forgiving. I only have a gamepad

Anyone keen for SN racing online?

Edited by JPete9

• 3 months later...

I'm speechless.

This plays and looks unlike anything I've experienced before. It looks real. And it's Rift compatible - which means I'll be buying the Oculus CV1 when it comes out in 2016 Q1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcYcVURP_1Q?vq=hd1080

My current specs:

GPU: Strix GTX 970

CPU: 3.5GHz I5-4690

RAM: 16GB

Panel: Bravia KDL55W900A

AMP: Naquadria Trinity Digital (modified)

Speakers: Elac FS 249 (modified) + Supertweeters

Wheel: G27

Rig: Next Level GTxtreme V2

hah! such prognostication :P

I won't be buying the rift this quarter as it's not yet time.