Panel cutting for speaker boxes in Perth

To all the speaker builders in Perth. Where do you get your panels cut?

I have been told by my Ortho man that due to my injuries I will not be able to safely use power saws or even my big routers.

I am now looking for a panel supplier or a cabinet maker looking for a bit of extra dosh.

Travel is no problem, nor size of raw sheets.

• 1 year later...

The CNC suggestion looks good, wonder what their prices are like.

For simple straight cuts, Bunnings cutting service works well.

Various sign making shops can do CNC

• 5 weeks later...

Hi. I am in Perth too and have the same need - I am building some very large subwoofer boxes.
Just find yourself a local kitchen cabinet maker - who has a large rolling sawtable - essential for the job.

If you go in fully planned with your cutting list diagram, then you can usually find someone to agree. It will take them only a few minutes if you are fully planned. Don't forget to allow for saw blade thickness loss. Cuts have to be end to end - no right angles etc. Cut full length, then cut across as a separate cut. Possibly more waste but they won't muck around. And minimal number of sawtable cut width re-sets. Plan out the sequence.

If you are organised and logical, they will usually do it. Might only cost about $100 at a guess.

Stress that you can come when they have a quiet minute - don't try to break into a job run they may have going. 

Thanks Electrostatics Devotee.

I haven't finalised anything as yet but I am interested in a CNC for doing a stacked ply project. I know I should be only looking at straight cuts and even straight vertical cuts if I go with a contoured shape but the idea of a 3D shape. I would be interested to hear how you go with yours and who you used for the cuts etc.

I'm and engineer by qualification so I can rest assure you that I will spent 5 x as long milling around thinking about it, drawing it up in, re-designing it than what it would take any normal sane person to get the job done :-)

Might I suggest while you mull it over that you build your own cnc? They arnt that hard to make and then you technically wouldn't be operating power tools as ortho man says. What you spend making one would probably pay for itself very quickly in money saved from not having to use a commercial cutter.

Hi Hippy,

Yes I have thought of that however I am limited to space with only a half of a double garage to use. Wifey is pretty good with me taking over the other half every now and then but a permanent takeover wouldn't go down too well :-) Ideally I can find a local enthusiast CNC builder / owner and ply him with beer.

My experience from my speaker build using CNC in Sydney

1. Found my CNC guy through Aust woodwork forum equivalent to SNA (check out their Festool v Other brand threads which resemble our SNA preamp discussions). Use google to search Cnc.

2. Sign making business often have in house CNC but may have to chase for quote and pay premium as you are not core repeat customer

3. Ask timber supplier for contacts especially if for they sell higher quality timber or birch /marine ply. They may also do straight cuts or know repeat customer with Cnc.

4. I found service provider with similar interest in hifi is beneficial as they can provide suggestions to design which enhance audio outcome of your project. Consider Aranmar Acoutics in Melb or Adelaide Speakers who do custom builds as transport costs of completed build to Perth may be ok. Plus they will already have contacts for speaker painting which may be another supplier you may need to source and get right especially if you have to deal with WAF.

+ 1 for CNC, accuracy of CNC makes final assembly a lot easier as cuts are square and within spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Fast Eddie

All good advice there. Have left a message on a woodwork forum and will see where that leads me. I was actually considering Adelaide Speakers and buying a kit from him without cabs and building my own here in Perth. But I have a bit of reading up on that side of things and the effects of changing the internal geometry but keeping the volume the same, ported / non ported and what my price point is for the components. WAF is a must on this one as inside of the house is her realm. . . .