Netflix currently watching

Guest jakeyb77
On ?31?/?08?/?2016 at 4:03 PM, Grumpy said:

Finally have myself  a card number to sign up for a 1 month free trial

Anyone know what happens at the end of the free tral if l dont wish to start paying for it and would it be worth paying for it?

@Grumpy I pay the $14 a month.  Obviously this is either just right or waaaay too much for some depending on what you get out of it.  I have a few people linked to my account and my 17 year old son uses my account in QLD.  So does my mum.  My Dad logs in in Melbourne and I watch on my TV.  For $14 a month you can get 4 people watching at any time.  Maybe see if a mate or family want to split the cost.  (mine make me pay for it lol)

Recently also picked up a Stan 3 month trial via Vodafone which unlike Netflix does count with SkyMesh, so up until now not to keen to use it, but bored and remembered seeing it had Ash v Evil Dead and was off-peak so just watched 3 eps, brilliant show, Ash was wasted in whatever that crap show he was a sidekick whereas in this he rules, Hail to the King Baby!

Anyway quick comparison.. No comparison..

1. Interface - on my Samsung TV night and day, like my WDTV out of the box it was rudimentary at best but could load some hacked software that gave it a brilliant interface with full info sheets for each movie, that's Netflix to Stan.

2. Selection - Netflix seemed cool at first a few shows, then started watching just because I could, whereas Stan seems has shows/movies I want to watch.

3. HD - seeing this is the most contrasting comparison of the 3, this is real HD I miss watching BRs on my old Pana plasma, stunning hi-res detail, makes the Netflix look pretty ordinary.

If I had unlimited data I would need to look more into their selection but expect I would change to Stan right now.

Guest thathifiguy

Just started Marvel's latest direct to Netflix superhero series, Luke Cage.

For those of you playing at home, this follows on from Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

This series appears to take us out of Hell's Kitchen and into Harlem. 

It's a bit of a slow burn for the first couple of episodes, but by episode three, things start ramping up.

Looking forward to getting through some more tonight!

2 hours ago, joz said:

Have just started watching Designated Survivor with Keifer Sutherland, looks good so far i'm two episodes in.

Yeah I've watched them too, but it feels more like another series of 24, except he's now the president.  I'll stay with it a bit longer but not convinced just yet.

13 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

Just started Marvel's latest direct to Netflix superhero series, Luke Cage.

For those of you playing at home, this follows on from Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

This series appears to take us out of Hell's Kitchen and into Harlem. 

It's a bit of a slow burn for the first couple of episodes, but by episode three, things start ramping up.

Looking forward to getting through some more tonight!

I'm two episodes into this and it does seem to be building momentum. Happy to keep watching at this stage.

After Jessica Jones and DareDevil just started Luke Cage, great show with a very cool funk soundtrack. If you liked both of those its a no-brainer :thumb:

Last night off-peak watched the rest of Ash v Evil Dead on stan, and the picture difference is night and day, and considering this is a big Netflix series in a big netflix universe I would expect they would stream it in the best quality possible. Has me wondering if upgrading to their 4k plan would make their 1080p look like 1080p?

Just finished Luke Cage. If other Netflix/Marvel shows are as good as this one, I have some catching-up to do. It's good fun overall.
I've also watched Atari Game Over documentary recently, also a big recommendation for every gamer who'd like to know a bit about gaming history.
@likwidsh0k About the selection, aside from paying for the 1080p package, I recently discovered a way to watch more shows and movies on Netflix than offered here. This article pretty much sums up everything about the service. So, now i pay $11.99 + $4.99 for the unblock.

Edited by Jensen Thug
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2016 at 9:17 AM, likwidsh0k said:

Last night off-peak watched the rest of Ash v Evil Dead on stan, and the picture difference is night and day, and considering this is a big Netflix series in a big netflix universe I would expect they would stream it in the best quality possible. Has me wondering if upgrading to their 4k plan would make their 1080p look like 1080p?

Not sure what your picture quality issues with Netflix are. I watch 1080p and 4K content on my Netflix account on my Sony 79" UHD TV and the picture is faultless. Revisiting Lost on Netflix and even though I bought all 6 seasons on Bluray, happy to watch the series through Netflix for instant gratification. If I felt the PQ was lacking I would happily watch the boxsets.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Not sure what your picture quality issues with Netflix are. I watch 1080p and 4K content on my Netflix account on my Sony 79" UHD TV and the picture is faultless. Revisiting Lost on Netflix and even though I bought all 6 seasons on Bluray, happy to watch the series through Netflix for instant gratification. If I felt the PQ was lacking I would happily watch the boxsets.

Like you I have th PQ faultless, not BD but excellent nonetheless.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2016 at 8:20 AM, Jensen Thug said:

Just finished Luke Cage. If other Netflix/Marvel shows are as good as this one, I have some catching-up to do. It's good fun overall.
I've also watched Atari Game Over documentary recently, also a big recommendation for every gamer who'd like to know a bit about gaming history.
@likwidsh0k About the selection, aside from paying for the 1080p package, I recently discovered a way to watch more shows and movies on Netflix than offered here. This article pretty much sums up everything about the service. So, now i pay $11.99 + $4.99 for the unblock.

I think I may try this when I know I can have a Netflix binge.

2 hours ago, CatsWiskas said:

Remember picture quality on Netflix is bandwidth dependant you really need a fat pipe or a nicely optimised service for 4k otherwise it will scale down the resolution automatically if it doesn't have the bandwidth.

Yes having a fat pipe to your house would certainly helps. Late last year Netflix updated their algorithm to improve picture quality. 

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/the-small-change-netflix-is-making-to-massively-improve-streaming-quality-1311166

Here is the gist of it from Netflix:

http://techblog.netflix.com/2016/06/toward-practical-perceptual-video.html

Guest jakeyb77

I've been watching The Ranch with Sam Elliot and Ashton Kutcher.  Ok so it's a bit 2.5 Men and has swearing abound but I find it a hoot.  Debra Winger and the other guy from that 70's show is in it too.   Funny as for my liking.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, joz said:

Tried the first few episodes of Black Window, not sure and will probably struggle to get through any more.

I'm possibly not the target audience for this.

Black window?, could not find. But I only have the Aust Netflix.

Unless you meant black mirror, which is great.