Rockport and Gryphon speakers

I am very interested in your comments on the Pantheon,

Slyarty(nice pseudonym too).

I have heard the Pantheon twice.First time brilliant with sweet treble, tight powerful bass and natural midrange.

Second time the treble was a little overbearing-the ribbon tweeter shrieked a little which could of course be a running in thing.

I am not anti-ribbon as the Kaiser Acoustics Kawero Classic is a magnificent speaker.

These two speakers are the best I have heard at that particular pricepoint.

I agree with your comments re Magico and Vivid.

The Vivid is a very good speaker,but lacks humanity with the solid state amps I have heard them with so far.

Any more detailed comments on the Pantheon?

I am very interested in your comments on the Pantheon,

Slyarty(nice pseudonym too).

I have heard the Pantheon twice.First time brilliant with sweet treble, tight powerful bass and natural midrange.

Second time the treble was a little overbearing-the ribbon tweeter shrieked a little which could of course be a running in thing.

I am not anti-ribbon as the Kaiser Acoustics Kawero Classic is a magnificent speaker.

These two speakers are the best I have heard at that particular pricepoint.

I agree with your comments re Magico and Vivid.

The Vivid is a very good speaker,but lacks humanity with the solid state amps I have heard them with so far.

Any more detailed comments on the Pantheon?

When I've heard the Pantheon it's always been partnered with Gryphon amplification and front end, so the treble and mids have been nothing less than simultaneously silky smooth and resolved, but I'm sure that they could be made to sound etched and grainy with the wrong electronics or front end.  AMT's can be quite unforgiving in that regard. The Pantheon's must be a very low distortion speaker, because I've noticed distortion on recordings  that are virtually inaudible through other (excellent) speakers. Imaging is as good as it gets and coherence is close to perfect.   The only area of weakness I could detect, and it's only a maybe, is in the upper mids / lower treble, where I felt that the large scale dynamics were slightly constrained. However, this was only valid for one audition and it was after hearing Wilson Alexia's  which can exaggerate that region slightly. 

Re Kaiser Kawero, I've only head them in a hi-fi show environment - in Melbourne last year, but they really did make an impact. Coherence was 10/10 and dynamically as good as it gets.

When I've heard the Pantheon it's always been partnered with Gryphon amplification and front end, so the treble and mids have been nothing less than simultaneously silky smooth and resolved, but I'm sure that they could be made to sound etched and grainy with the wrong electronics or front end. AMT's can be quite unforgiving in that regard. The Pantheon's must be a very low distortion speaker, because I've noticed distortion on recordings that are virtually inaudible through other (excellent) speakers. Imaging is as good as it gets and coherence is close to perfect. The only area of weakness I could detect, and it's only a maybe, is in the upper mids / lower treble, where I felt that the large scale dynamics were slightly constrained. However, this was only valid for one audition and it was after hearing Wilson Alexia's which can exaggerate that region slightly.

Yes,first time with all Gryphon including transport and Dac for me too.

Second time all Gryphon except transport and maybe connecting cable-this could be the difference.

I am encouraged that you have heard them twice with great treble both times.

I really like Wilson in general,but there is something unfulfilling about the Alexia when compared to the Pantheon and Kaiser Kawero.

I thought the Pantheon dynamics were hard to beat.

Edited by Road Kill

Yes,first time with all Gryphon including transport and Dac for me too.

Second time all Gryphon except transport and maybe connecting cable-this could be the difference.

I am encouraged that you have heard them twice with great treble both times.

I really like Wilson in general,but there is something unfulfilling about the Alexia when compared to the Pantheon and Kaiser Kawero.

I thought the Pantheon dynamics were hard to beat.

Often it's the listening environment that's most to blame.

I've heard Wilson Alexia's sound ridiculously good - in a good room and with worthy amplification and front end, and conversely I've heard them sounding terrible; with bass all over the place. Some speakers are more room sensitive than others, and Wilsons are IME very sensitive, to the point where it's almost mandatory that you  hear them in your own listening room before handing over the briefcase full of cash. 

Vivid's are a really interesting speaker; particularly the G2. People who love them and own them swear that they produce the closest thing to perfection yet, and technically I would agree that they come very close to achieving that, but as "Vivid" a presentation as they deliver, for me, they've never quite managed to create a musical experience that approaches the ideal virtual reality. I listened for hours but there's was no 'happy ending', so to speak.

Often it's the listening environment that's most to blame.

I've heard Wilson Alexia's sound ridiculously good - in a good room and with worthy amplification and front end, and conversely I've heard them sounding terrible; with bass all over the place. Some speakers are more room sensitive than others, and Wilsons are IME very sensitive, to the point where it's almost mandatory that you  hear them in your own listening room before handing over the briefcase full of cash. 

Vivid's are a really interesting speaker; particularly the G2. People who love them and own them swear that they produce the closest thing to perfection yet, and technically I would agree that they come very close to achieving that, but as "Vivid" a presentation as they deliver, for me, they've never quite managed to create a musical experience that approaches the ideal virtual reality. I listened for hours but there's was no 'happy ending', so to speak.

I have heard the Alexia's several times and they reflected the setup/room as you say.

Once or twice very good and also not so good,but I have never felt "I must have these speakers......".

I agree that the Vivid is very clear and detailed I.e. Low distortion,but as you say not musically fulfilling ,at least for me.

I have heard the Alexia's several times and they reflected the setup/room as you say.

Once or twice very good and also not so good,but I have never felt "I must have these speakers......".

I agree that the Vivid is very clear and detailed I.e. Low distortion,but as you say not musically fulfilling ,at least for me

If I had to choose between the two I would probably choose the Alexia's and spend how ever long it took to optimise the room. 

I've heard Vivid G2's on the end of a Gryphon system and the treble was still not as resolved or as sweet and seductive as it should be. That particular owner is upgrading to Mephisto and Pandora from the previous models, so I'll be interested to hear the Vivid's again when he's done that. 

I definitely agree with you regarding Alexia's vs Vivid G2's..

If you get the chance ,let us all know if the Mephisto/Pandora makes a difference to the Vivid.

All Gryphon amps sound very good to me(Antileon/Colosseum/Mephisto-Allegro/Mirage /Pandora).

• 6 months later...

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Well hullo.

Rockport- pure music group

Gryphon-

Dunno if its Kedcorp or Audioconnection.

Those Rockports look yummy.

Right on both fronts Daz. Gryphon - Kedcorp is the distributor with audio connection being one of the retailers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wikeeboy said:

Right on both fronts Daz. Gryphon - Kedcorp is the distributor with audio connection being one of the retailers.

They are one and the same, same owner, different name.

Guest yamaha_man
1 hour ago, wikeeboy said:

18 minutes ago, guru said:

They are one and the same, same owner, different name.

Must be great being the distributor and charging retail prices.

Guest yamaha_man
23 hours ago, Rob181 said:

Commonly called vertical integration...smart business if managed as 2 completely separate entities...

Really? I would call it double dipping. Getting distributor not wholesale pricing and selling for a retail price.

Edited by yamaha_man

33 minutes ago, Yamaha Man said:

Really? I would call it double dipping. Getting distributor not wholesale pricing and selling for a retail price.

In your opinion...what should happen when you have an AUS wide distribution for a product with sales through selected retail outlets in each state...

Additionally invest in a retail shop front to sell said goods + a range of other products in 1 particular location...

3 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

In your opinion...what should happen when you have an AUS wide distribution for a product with sales through selected retail outlets in each state...

Additionally invest in a retail shop front to sell said goods + a range of other products in 1 particular location...

Problem is that if you want Gryphon, you really can only go to Audio Connection. In Melbourne there is no retailer/presence at all. So audio connection has the market cornered unless you purchase at a much better rate o/s...

Guest yamaha_man

I doubt audio connection sells much at all that their sister company(s) don't distribute. Apple, Sonus and maybe Bose come to mind.

Anyway, given the profits that I assume are being made, one would think a better price could be given for the comsumer, like a much better price.

Edited by yamaha_man

Guest yamaha_man

So more people could enjoy the pleasures of hi-end audio. Then again, what an absurd idea. Leave it for the elite and keep profits to a maximum. :thumb:

3 hours ago, Yamaha Man said:

So more people could enjoy the pleasures of hi-end audio. Then again, what an absurd idea. Leave it for the elite and keep profits to a maximum. :thumb:

While I support & agree with your altruistic motives...the chances of that happening are buckley's & none...

Actions speak louder than words as they say....you, of course, could lead the way...sell the Krells for $10K & be happy with that outcome...then at least 1 additional person "could enjoy the pleasures of hi end audio"...

PS No...I am not interested in the Krells...