Red Spade HE2 build

NQB

My quest for the perfect Home Theatre continues. Wanted to share the build of my new front speakers.

I placed an order for a HE2 kit from Paul Spencer (Red Spade Audio) a few months ago. The kit arrived last week and miraculously I had a weekend free to start construction.

Straight out of the box the panels were expertly cut. Only minor sanding was needed for a perfect fit.

Luckilly I had enough clamps to build two at a time. I say luck, but really it was more like adding another pair to the trolley whenever they're on sale.

Paul recommended adding rubber sheet to make the speakers more inert. Hopefully 3 sheets will do it. Doesn't entirely cover all interior panels, but it's close.

These beauties are going to be painted to a high gloss black. Piano black is the goal, but we'll see how much of my OCD I can contol after the 6th round of sanding. Has anyone had good success with HVLP on MDF? I'll be using automotive primer and paint...

Next step is to flush sand and afix the front baffle. Afyer that, ill be routing the edges and on to high fill primer.

The spray booth is coming along. I finished the extractor fan box last week. Not much to look at, but it will do the job. Now I just need to clean and hang plastic in the downstairs dungeon (no idea what it was originally, probably something to do with 50 shades of grey). By the end it will. Look like something out of dexter. Good thing I'm not painting them red or I'd have some explaining to do when the mrs gets back from her holiday.

Anyhoo, pics on the way.

J

Edited by NQB
  • Like 3

Hey bjc,

I'll try to keep the updates coming. Hoping to get the boxes built by the weekend so I can take my time on prep and paint for the next two weeks.

There was a delay on some of the parts, but fingers crossed they will get here before the last coat goes on.

As for pricing, they weren't cheap, but a bargain for what they are. Final price may depend on what you want. Paul is pretty active on the forum, so I'd just reach out to him and ask.

Cheers,

J

• Like 1

Very nice project . You won't be disappointed with the sound ,my son's rapped with his HE2's .

Cheers

Great to know from someone with first hand experience. I bought them without a listen first,but lots of positive feedback and science behind them :)

Great to know from someone with first hand experience. I bought them without a listen first,but lots of positive feedback and science behind them :)

Controlled dispersion (coverage pattern) is the single biggest thing (after removing errors from the frequency response), to get good sound ... especially in a (small) room.

The design idea here....  use as large a horn as practical (for a domestically friendly speaker) .... keep efficiency high, and amplifier load pleasant ....  is really the embodiment of good speaker design principles.    I'd be surprised if you were even close to disappointed.

Considering how big an upgrade this will be, I'll be surprised if I'm not completely blown away :)

I've been dreaming of sound quality for about 15 years. Finances, time and knowledge just never lined up.

Now in the space of a few months, I've replaced everything in the audio chain one step at a time. Each step so far has been a massive improvement. Really hoping this is the leap that will keep me happy for the next 15yrs.

• Like 1

Considering how big an upgrade this will be, I'll be surprised if I'm not completely blown away :)

I've been dreaming of sound quality for about 15 years. Finances, time and knowledge just never lined up.

Now in the space of a few months, I've replaced everything in the audio chain one step at a time. Each step so far has been a massive improvement. Really hoping this is the leap that will keep me happy for the next 15yrs.

you will experience a great improvement over usual speakers in terms of dynamics, scale and transparency..  but get ready for it, i know some people aren't.. :D

With a speaker that is a much easier load  (the HE2), hopefully your "new" amp is the right one.    (hides)  :P

Heh. I can tell you that the old one certainly wasn't the right one. If I'm not happy, I can always add an outboard amp from the processor preouts. Old reciever did not have this option and made me very sad.

Going to try and get something done each night until the weekend, FIngers crossed I can get them ready for paint by Sunday.

Today's efforts : Compression Driver waveguide mod.

Rather than leaving the waveguide untreated plastic, I'm following the upgrade option to add sound deadening.

1. Scratch up the outer surface with sandpaper

20150224_185106.jpg

2. Mix some bitumen 1:1 with water for the first coat (thinner works better as a primer).

20150224_190404.jpg

3.Mask and paint. Got a little over excited and messy for the first coat. Only had a few minutes left before a call to the mrs.

20150224_191856.jpg

When it's dry tomorrow I'll switch to a pure mix and keep going until it feels right. Might add some mix in deadener flakes if I can be bothered. 

Next on the list tomorrow, a sheet load of dacron.

Question: Rubber feet or spikes (with casters)?  Right now I'm leaning towards rubber because it's easier, not permanent and should suit the wood floor.. Thoughts?

J

• Like 2

Dacron fill complete. 3 layers in all sections and a heavier fill for the mid driver compartment.

20150226_205900.jpg

First of the speaker baffles glued. I thought about routing a groove around the baffle, but in the end I think I'll roll the dice on getting it perfect and working with bondo and spray putty to blend the edges. Starting to get excited :)

20150226_211730.jpg

• Like 1

I might need to go ask John for some tips on getting stuff built quick. It's unnatural how quickly this DIY project is progressing :D

Heh :) I'm usually a procrastinator. In school I was the one that left study till the weekend before and then smashed myself until it all made sense.

It's sort of the same reason now, I leave for Thailand in 2 weeks and when I return, I'll be busy with construction with my wife on the latest business venture (espresso bar). Who doesn't like coffee right?

Great thing is now that construction is nearing completion, if time starts to get away, I can postpone paint and still get some audio bliss :) Just need the last of the parts to arrive and I'm golden.

Still haven't decided on rubber feet vs spikes and castors. Thoughts?

J

Edited by NQB

They will be around 30 kg when complete. It's a good idea to have rubber feet even just for practical reasons - like when you pick them up and move from workshop to your room. Picking up and setting down is easier and the feet protect the edges and corners.

• Like 2

Not sure on weight yet... I'd say with the crazy big components, stack of rubber, sealant and bracing. Maybe 25-30kg ea?

I might weigh them when they're finished.

Rubber feet will be the easiest. Sold. Might add spikes if Im not happy later on.

Edit:paul beat me to it!

Edited by NQB