GTG at Scuzzii's - Saturday 21 February

cheekyboy

Hi folks,

As you may be aware, Scuzzii has very kindly offered to be the custodian of our Wyndham Audio CH1 loudspeakers for the purpose of allowing Sydney StereoNET members the chance to either audition them in John's own wonderful system, or, to borrow them for audition in their own system for a period of time.

We have organised a small demo/audition on this coming Saturday at Scuzzii's place in Hornsby and we will have room for up to another three or four people if you're interested in joining us for a small GTG and to audition these sensational single driver FR loudspeakers. Please drop me a PM if you would like to attend with kick off from 12:30 on Saturday afternoon. 

Apologies for the short notice, but this demo event was only just organised and would be a good opportunity if you can attend. We have already held a demo GTG for a small number of members late last year and you can find a thread for that GTG with plenty of pictures here.

Cheers,

Keith

Bugger, I'd have loved to join you having recently met Scuzzi but a prior booking at a beer festival in Annandale takes me out. Hopefully, next time it won't clash with my other favourite hobby![emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I heard a pair of these Wyndham CH1's last night here in Melbourne.

Those of you who know me know that I'm not a full-range single driver kinda guy.  I've always found them to be a bit closed-in and dull sounding, with obvious limits at the

frequency extremes and in terms of SPL.

Not these ones though :thumb:

What they've managed to achieve using a little 4" driver made my jaw drop.  I was astounded at the broad soundstage, the ability of these things to give instruments space to be heard, and the wonderful sweetness of the top end. Yes, treble.  From a full-range driver.  I couldn't believe it either.

And they can quite easily fill a good-sized room with fun, tuneful bass.  No, they're not like a pair of 18's - but they sound much, much larger than a tiny driver in a slim cabinet has any right to.

I was amazed, and very impressed.  They're sincerely worthy of a good listen.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

@@Hensa

The speakers are with me full time so we can arrange for another weekend or week night.

Enjoy the beer festival

Sounds good to me and I'll bring a few of my top picks from the beer festival as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Andrew

was a great day.  we finished late into the night but was an all round enjoyable day.  I don't have a SET unfortunately.  Source was CD and SACD into my Audio Space Pre One and powered by some EL34 mono blocks.  The speakers were really singing throughout the day IMO.

Good to see @@Nigel, @@Paul47, @@cheekyboy

The CDs I enjoyed on the day were:

Dire Straits - Communique in SACD

Dire Straits - Love over Gold in SACD

Eric Clapton - The Breeze  CD

Asgeir Trausti - in the silence CD

Various - Dead Man's town (tribute to Springsteen's Born in USA) CD

Robert Downey Jr (yep the actor) - The Futurist CD

The CH1's really are a surprise packet.  Anyone looking to get decent hifi speakers should have a listen (for mid $2k's in price they are value +).  We listened all day and night and never stopped enjoying them

John

• Like 1

Hi guys.....I am so glad you enjoyed the day...and obviously the horns. Thanks Scuzzii for putting the day on! I have many questions of attendees opinions ...but mainly I want to know about Hensa and the beer from the festival?

Rgds: Dave T

Hi Nigel!

How are you going? I'm glad you made it to Scuzzii's. Yes mate, I too remember our last meeting......it was a hoot.....John's choice of reds blew me away! Probably unbelievable once again?

And in terms of the sound, yeah, that's OK mate....that's what makes audio interesting....differing sounds, differing opinions, some passionate discussion....resolving over red wine! I think I had one or two glasses too many last time?! But then as now, your opinions are important and the discussion as far as I can remember pretty damn good!

I guess I would want to add some word about rooms in our discussion. These play a huge and major role in sound resolution......It is often the most difficult part of setting up sound....and the major consideration that we keep in mind when we apply our choices....(when we remember too!) I know John is doing some further work in that area. Many of us are considering further implications of room testing and advice before we go through the drama of changing over a myriad of times our gear to get that sound we are looking for. We are pretty fortunate down here as we have Paul Spencer and Red Spade and a few others that come to mind. But in terms of sound gear various opinions are great....gives our interest (obsession?) some 'spunk'...and you are more than correct/appropriate with your ideas and viewpoints. It helps me in tuning and consideration of the next step......so I appreciate your thoughts.

Still haven't heard from Hensa and the beer? Is he still at the festival? .....which has been finished for a week!?

Rgds: dave t  

Edited by dthompson

Hi Dave,

yes as per usual John opened a couple of yummy reds, but Cheeky mentioned his love of bourbons. John disappears and returns with some flash thing, akin to well-aged single malt, so we had some of that, and elected to crash the night on the floor/couch. 

Re the speakers, they do an amazing job. The conical porting or whatever you call it, works well and as previously mentioned delivers surprising bass for a 4" driver. I think they look impressive unique also.