Vibrato Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

I finally bit the bullet and have ordered an 80KHZ Ultrasonic Cleaner. I ordered from Vibrato LLC after being in discussion over the last week or so via email, with Louis the manufacturer.

https://www.tindie.com/products/VibratoLLC/80khz-6-quart-vibrato-ultrasonic-cleaner/?pt=directsearch

Two units came up for sale on the Tindie website ( where Louis advertises his product) late last night  , so I jumped in and ordered one after reading all the positive talk about this machine.  

Apparently Louis is having some issues with supplies of the enclosures he uses, so it may be a while before he offers more on the Tindie site.

2015-01-24T14:53:54.052Z-Image00001.jpg.

I then went to Ebay and purchased this:

Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Cleaning Kit - "Vinyl Stack ULTRA Sonic Spin Kit"

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161402849405?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

$_12.JPG

I will make some adjustments in regards to using the above device, as, although it was designed to hold 4 records, I have been advised that the records need a minimum spacing between them when in the Ultrasonic bath, for best possible results. Due to the width of the tank, I may have to settle for cleaning three records at a time. Time will tell.

I also need to purchase 2 SDT's to run these units as they are both 110v. Can anyone advise the likely sized units I would need?

What have I spent so far?

The Vibrato unit cost me $848 AUD shipped, and I spent $510 AUD for the Sonic Spin Kit. Total thereabouts of about $1360 AUD so far.

And I will need 2 step downs to run them, so that is more funds to spend.

Will it be worth it?  I bloody hope so, I couldn't afford 4K plus for the KLAUDIO unit or even more for the Audio Desk machine.

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 9

Hey, well done, mate.  Please keep us up to date.  Re. # records at once - AIUI, you need a minimum of 25mm gap either side of each LP, for maximally effective cleaning.

Somebody here (in either Cbr or Syd) was advertising a step-down, recently.

Good luck,

Andy

• Like 1

keen to hear how this performs.   

do you really need 2 x SDT's.   wouldn't one do the job (with a double adapter).    Also,  are you sure the powersupply for the spin thing doesn't accept 220VAC...a lot do these days. 

• Like 1

keen to hear how this performs.   

do you really need 2 x SDT's.   wouldn't one do the job (with a double adapter).    Also,  are you sure the powersupply for the spin thing doesn't accept 220VAC...a lot do these days. 

You are correct.

I've just been informed by the seller of the Ultra Sonic Spin Kit that it's power supply is universal and switchable to suit 240v.

• 3 weeks later...

An update.

I cleaned about 30 records in a couple of hours yesterday, using the Ultrasonic Cleaner with the Sonic Spin Kit. I set the temperature for 45 degrees celcius on the Ultrasonic, and  set the Sonic Spin kit to 6 volts. Setting it on 6 volts meant that a full rotation of a record would take 4 minutes. The kit allowed different voltages which meant different timings for a full rotation of a record.

I then set the cleaner for a 12 minute cycle, loaded up 3 records to clean, and started the process. While the first three records were being cleaned I set up another 3 ready to go when the first 12 minute cycle finished.

I had read on DIY forums that  a minimum spacing of about 25mm between records for maximum effectiveness of the cleaning process was ideal, so thats what I went with.

Anyway, the end results were brilliant. I deliberately chose some of my records that had a fair bit of noise and pops etc and was seriously impressed how much better they sounded after a cycle in the Ultrasonic cleaner. And these same records had previously been cleaned with my KAB EV-1, so it wasn't like they hadn't been cleaned before.

A few pictures taken with mobile phone. I'm having massive problems uploading pics via camera at the minute:

U1_zps6c7r5ecw.jpg

U2_zpsctwtwgok.jpg

U3_zpssli9r3lu.jpg

U4_zpsyjhfmxy5.jpg

U5_zpsmprgqvni.jpg

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 12

How do you dry your records after cleaning with this ultrasonic cleaner?

I forgot to mention this in my last post.

When the LP's come out of the machine after a cycle, only the bottom 1/2 of an album is still wet. I contemplated setting up my KAB EV-1 and vacuuming any remaining water, but decided to simply place the records in a dish rack for a couple of minutes.

A soft cloth then removes any moisture should it be still present on vinyl.

A couple of other points I think are worth noting, and are the only negatives I can find.

Getting the temperature in the ballpark required is a bit tricky. I actually had to warm the demineralised water in a pot for a short time to get it up around the temperature I wanted.

If I was to place the demineralised water it in the tank at room temperature, the heater takes a looooooooong time to get the water up around temp required.

A bit over 4  litres of demineralised water are required every time I intend to clean records with this machine. Plus whatever percentage of Isopropyl Alcohol I use. I have been using a full 125ml bottle as purchased from Bunnings.

I need to make enquiries so that I can buy Isopropyl Alcohol and the demineralised water at a cheaper rate. In bulk preferably.

Edited by soundfan

The brushes (that reduce air from escaping) on the vacuuming device will create static as it rub against the vinyl surface.

The result is high freq rolled off and reduction of soundstage size.

Fabric materials coming into contact with vinyl surface will cause the same issue.

You should consider some sort of high speed blower device to quickly dissipate moisture so that the drying process is contact free.

Only then would you be able to fully appreciate the benefits of ultrasonic cleaning.

I would be a little hesitant putting LPs into warm water, especially 45deg C.  With all my old & any 2nd hand LPs I give them a spin clean before going into the Audio Desk (to reduce junk going into the AD water), I tried warm water in the Spin Clean and found dynaflex & 120g LPs would almost immediately buckle (severely warp), they returned to flat when cool but it imagine it can't be good for them.  I've not been game to try it with heavier LPs, suffice to say I now only use cold water!! 

I understand your concerns @@David.M, as I stated; I went on feedback from the manufacturer.

But 30 odd records the other yesterday and about 20 the weekend before. No warps or buckles thus far.

I'll do more research... it would be excellent if I could get the same results with room temp water, it would save me a lot of hassle to be honest.

I'm always open to suggestions from other users of Ultrasonic cleaners, at the minute I'm just putting my learning curve on display for all to see.  :P

• Like 1

Hi Chris

My KL Audio US cleaner just uses room temperature water and it works a treat.  Same with the Audio Desk I think.

Why are you using hot water?  I would think the ultrasonic cleaning will work fine for in normal cold water.

BTW, have you tried with just the water and no alcohol?    

Cheers

Hi Chris

My KL Audio US cleaner just uses room temperature water and it works a treat. Same with the Audio Desk I think.

Why are you using hot water? I would think the ultrasonic cleaning will work fine for in normal cold water.

Cheers

Hi Shane.

Food for thought there. I'm going on recommendations from the DIY forum with a 90 odd page thread on Ultrasonic cleaners.

Maybe next time I do a batch of records I will try with no Isopropyl Alcohol, and distilled water at room temperature.

Or are you using normal tap water?

Hi Shane.

Food for thought there. I'm going on recommendations from the DIY forum with a 90 odd page thread on Ultrasonic cleaners.

Maybe next time I do a batch of records I will try with no Isopropyl Alcohol, and distilled water at room temperature.

Or are you using normal tap water?

Using Distilled Water.  Glendale 4L from the Cincotta chemist $4.95

I believe distilled is more pure.

Let us know how the room temp cleaning goes.

Using Distilled Water.  Glendale 4L from the Cincotta chemist $4.95

I believe distilled is more pure.

Let us know how the room temp cleaning goes.

My distilled water is costing me about $8.00 for 4 litres.  Have been too lazy to shop around for cheaper prices, but will do so. 

My distilled water is costing me about $8.00 for 4 litres.  Have been too lazy to shop around for cheaper prices, but will do so. 

I plain found it hard to find anywhere who sold distilled water.   The cheaper price was just luck.

I plain found it hard to find anywhere who sold distilled water.   The cheaper price was just luck.

Aah, I see your old gf has taken you back ... is it going to work out, this time around?  :P  The one you've just given the flick to has a lot more going for her, IMO. ;)

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

After a little more experimenting I have settled on:

Setting temperature at 41 degrees celcius.

Using distilled water and a 100 ml of Isopropyl alcohol.

A quick spin on my KAB EV 1 to remove the moisture after they come out of cleaner.

I can easily clean about 30 to 40 records in a couple of hours

I've cleaned about 80 records over the last week, and am very very happy with how things are going.

Funny thing though; I received a new 2 LP record the other day in the mail, and both records were dished. 

Today after coming out of cleaner they were straight again.  :P  True.

Of the 150 or so records I have now cleaned, only 1 has come out of cleaner warped, and that was in first bunch I ever did.

• Like 1

After a little more experimenting I have settled on:

Setting temperature at 41 degrees celcius.

Using distilled water and a 100 ml of Isopropyl alcohol.

A quick spin on my KAB EV 1 to remove the moisture after they come out of cleaner.

I can easily clean about 30 to 40 records in a couple of hours

I've cleaned about 80 records over the last week, and am very very happy with how things are going.

Funny thing though; I received a new 2 LP record the other day in the mail, and both records were dished. 

Today after coming out of cleaner they were straight again.  :P  True.

Of the 150 or so records I have now cleaned, only 1 has come out of cleaner warped, and that was in first bunch I ever did.

A cleaner & vinyl flat in one, patent it :)

Guest yamaha_man

Hi Chris

My KL Audio US cleaner just uses room temperature water and it works a treat.  Same with the Audio Desk I think.

Why are you using hot water?  I would think the ultrasonic cleaning will work fine for in normal cold water.

Cheers

Yes. my Audio Desk Systeme uses room temperature water.

We've gone over this previously. 

I decided to, (and no disrespect intended to anyone here), follow the advice from manufacturer and other users of the same ultrasonic cleaner I purchased.

I have tried room temp, without alcohol and indeed it seemed to work okay.

Too hard for me to determine though whether the clean is better or worse.

For now, everything is going dandy, and I will leave it at that.   :)

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 2

My home made ultrasonic cleaner operates at 45KHz and seems to work extremely well. I know of other machines that operate at 40KHz and 60KHz. It is interesting that your machine operates at 80KHz and seems to work great also. I tried to do some preliminary research on this matter to determine what frequency works best for cleaning records, however opinions seem to vary on this subject. As best I could understand as a lay person, the lower the frequency, the more aggressive the cleaning action---but more "coarse"in nature than higher frequencies. One person made an analogy comparing this to sandpaper, much like the difference between using 40 grit and 80 grit. Everyone with an ultrasonic cleaner reports fabulous results regardless of the operating frequency. I am beginning to believe it is not a critical factor, but would like to learn more. Bottom line is that ultrasonic cleaning machines really do work!

We've gone over this previously. 

I decided to, (and no disrespect intended to anyone here), follow the advice from manufacturer and other users of the same ultrasonic cleaner I purchased.

I have tried room temp, without alcohol and indeed it seemed to work okay.

Too hard for me to determine though whether the clean is better or worse.

For now, everything is going dandy, and I will leave it at that.   :)

I occasionally buy used vinyl and some of it is fairly dirty. Here in the Virgin Islands with our warm humid climate, old records that were improperly stored usually have some mold and mildew on them that is tough to get off! I manually clean my albums first with a solution of distilled water,99% pure isopropyl alcohol, distilled white vinegar and Dawn dish washing detergent to get the bulk of the grundge off. Then a quick wash with distilled water to rinse the albums.

Once the records are initially cleaned, I put them through a cycle in my ultrasonic cleaning machine using only room temperature laboratory (reagent grade) water. I work at a university so I can easily get the lab grade water for free!

This process works for me, but ask 10 different people and each one will have their own special way of cleaning records. :wacko:

Edited by sailfreeordie
  • Like 2