Marantz AV Owners Thread

Pete, I can't consider the Yammie as I need 4 HDMI inputs for this particular setup (1 HD-A35, 1 PS3, 1 Popcorn, 1 HD-Set-top).  Considering that this is for my Master bedroom, i would say that there are lots of punchy ACTIVITIES taking place.  ;D

You can connect HD STB's HDMI to TV, and audio using optical, then you don't need 4 input, unless your TV runs out of HDMI unput.

You can connect HD STB's HDMI to TV, and audio using optical, then you don't need 4 input, unless your TV runs out of HDMI unput.

Unfortunately my projector only has 1 HDMI port and I don't intend to upgrade till the next gen of 1080p PJ's appear.

Went round to SLS and Adelphi earlier enquiring about the current pricing for the 8002 and the price gap between SLS shops and Adelphi shops differ by between $50 to $75.  In SLS, I was quoted around $1750 for the black while in Adelphi, I was quoted $1800 and $1825 respectively.  Try guessing which shop quoted me the highest.  Heheh..

Unfortunately my projector only has 1 HDMI port and I don't intend to upgrade till the next gen of 1080p PJ's appear.

Consider using a HDMI switch for your projector? It is cheaper than the difference between 7002 and 8002, if number of HDMI ports is your main concern.

Consider using a HDMI switch for your projector? It is cheaper than the difference between 7002 and 8002, if number of HDMI ports is your main concern.

I'm already using one in the interim but I would like to streamline my entire bedroom setup to minimize the no. of devices cause the CFO is already starting to issue Yellow Cards already.  ;D

petetherock - Sr 12

koma - SR 7002

warmasterhorus11 - SR 7002

detusche - SR8002

armoury - 8200 (8300)

bong - 7002

ht.chua-7002

carhorn - SR8002

zapp - SR8001

DanDon - SR7002

chilli2 - SR7002

Some feedback on my SR7002. Decent performance on HT 5.1, most of the time on analogue 2 channel clean and clear sound, transparent and detail loved it. ;)

petetherock - Sr 12

koma - SR 7002

detusche - SR8002

armoury - 8200 (8300)

bong - 7002

ht.chua-7002

carhorn - SR8002

zapp - SR8001

DanDon - SR7002

chilli2 - SR7002

Some feedback on my SR7002. Decent performance on HT 5.1, most of the time on analogue 2 channel clean and clear sound, transparent and detail loved it. ;)

i using SR7001 :)

From my understanding, it doesn't seem so much as a fault as it's just the way it's implemented in the processor and the 02 receivers. It can't do post processing to matrix 5.1 to 7.1 for bitstream but not sure if you can apply post processing for lpcm. Maybe one is better off using a 02 receiver as a processor if the features/limitations are so alike unless the XLR connections matter.

Hi Guys,

Just became a proud owner of Marantz SR7002.

Newbie, I was never really into HiFi/HT stuff until I got my PS3, 40in tv, and ipod.

Decided to get a decent amp that supports all digital hi-def formats. Pretty heavy stuff with all those digital acronyms.

Read alot of raves on Onkyo 606; went to Adelphi twice, the popular shop was demo-ing SR606 on both occasions to buyers. Requested for a demo of SR7002 just on music, decided was good enough for me, am v.happy with this amp.

Currently paired the amp with an old inherited speakers, polk audio bookshelf 5jr+ which is at least 18 yrs old. Music/DVD is mainly from PS3 players using CD and mp3. Have another set of old Tannoy M2 which I use in my bedroom, try pairing M2 but didn't sound good with amp.

While I am happy with the grand old polk speakers, wondering If i should I invest in better front speakers, or should I go for 5.1 speakers that has decent stereo perf? My budget is about $800.

I am 60/40 music/movies & gaming.

And for current 2 speakers setup, which dolby mode shld I set for movies/ps3 game, is it Dolby VS,

Thanks

Sam

Welcome bro

Given your leanings towards music, $800 is not a lot for a 5.1 system. I would get the best stereo pair for that money. Then budget for a good subwoofer and the rest later.

The sticky is a good place to begin reading up and understanding. Anyway with the PS 3 simply select LPCM and let the PS 3 do the work.

Lots of speaker suggestions are available in the sticky.

Read up first and then enjoy the system for a while before you do anymore.

As for which DSP to use, virtual is ok, but you have the amp and speakers, why not simply Experiment and use Your Own Ears to make that decision rather than rely on others to make you listen to what may sound bad to you?

Good luck and enjoy the poison...

While I am happy with the grand old polk speakers, wondering If i should I invest in better front speakers, or should I go for 5.1 speakers that has decent stereo perf? My budget is about $800.

I am 60/40 music/movies & gaming.

And for current 2 speakers setup, which dolby mode shld I set for movies/ps3 game, is it Dolby VS,

Thanks

Sam

petetherock - Sr 12

koma - SR 7002

detusche - SR8002

armoury - 8200 (8300)

bong - 7002

ht.chua-7002

carhorn - SR8002

zapp - SR8001

DanDon - SR7002

chilli2 - SR7002

tas888  - SR 7001

suvon2004  - SR 7002

Hello,

I am a newbie in HT. These threads gave me lot of valuable information. Thanks

I like the Marantz as there are a lot of good comments on Music performance. I listen to more music than watching movies.

I am thinking of getting the 7002. However, I am a little hesitance as it does not have video upscalar. I believe Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha all have video upscalar functionality.

It this important ? If I get a decent DVD player with upscalar how much more I need to pay ?

Hope someone can give me the advice. Thanks

I am thinking of getting the 7002. However, I am a little hesitance as it does not have video upscalar. I believe Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha all have video upscalar functionality.

It this important ? If I get a decent DVD player with upscalar how much more I need to pay ?

If your DVD player already upscales all the way to 1080p, then you don't need upscaling capability in the AVR. Which is actually one attraction of the Marantzs to many, why pay extra for another set of upscaling chips you don't really need?  Better that they devote all their costings to the audio side of things.

Right now the outstanding value is the Oppo 983, going for $550 during mass orders -- see Planet Mass Order for details, but the current MO is closed and who knows when the next one will open?  In today's market $550 is probably quite a lot for an SD DVD player, but it is a flagship model after all.  There are lots of other great DVD players out there, available for less, just have a look around.  Sorry I can't make any specific recommendations, I've been using a Pioneer 969 for the last 3-4 years and didn't keep up with new players, until I participated in the MO for a 983 myself.

petetherock - Sr 12

koma - SR 7002

detusche - SR8002

armoury - 8200 (8300)

bong - 7002

ht.chua-7002

carhorn - SR8002

zapp - SR8001

DanDon - SR7002

chilli2 - SR7002

tas888  - SR 7001

suvon2004  - SR 7002

foocp - SR 7002

Can a basic 4002 AVR register in here too ?? I switch from a Onkyo Gang to a Marantz Gang  ;D ;D The Onkyo 705 is a good all in one AVR(imho)... ok here is why if u guys wonder ....Firstly my Main Bluray source which is a PS3 decodes all the HD audio internally and pass off as PCM so i dun need a AVR which can do decoding , secondly i do not use the Video upscaler chip in the 705 because my Oppo does a better job when watching DvDs (my personal opinion) , thirdly i dun have to worry for the "so called DTS MA bomb issue" which plague some Onkyo and Yamaha AVR (Personally i didnt face this issue in my previous onkyo 705) because apparently Marantz dont have tis problem (so far so good)...fourth reason..Marantz is less "Hot" compare to my previous Onkyo(This i must admit its "Hot" after awhile)...Btw now my Marantz AVR act as a pure HT preout...so its sweet simple affair for it.. ;D