Anyone in the Gold Coast?

saad

Hey Guys

I'm just getting into the whole HiFi thing, even though I have kind of been into sound systems and stereos my whole life! Anyone in the Gold Coast or Brisbane and has regular GTGs?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Southport Hi Fi in Surfers and Toma Audio in Tweed Heads.

Gieseler Audio and Lenehan Audio are both based in the Gold Coast and there are regular GTG's at Southport HiFi where they are involved.

Funny you mention Gieseler Audio, I used to buy a lot of gear from him when he was at braodbeach (Clay's Hi-Fi) He built my first subwoofer and in total about 4 or 5 of them (back in the early to mid 90's) Great guy too.

Saad, I am thinking of a BBQ at my place in the next month or so, home theatre/Music room and an arcade room. Heaps of music and videos to be heard. You seen some of it last night but I think we need to make it a full blown event soon

Other members welcome too

Steve

Edited by OzSteve
  • Like 3

Funny you mention Gieseler Audio, I used to buy a lot of gear from him when he was at braodbeach (Clay's Hi-Fi) He built my first subwoofer and in total about 4 or 5 of them (back in the early to mid 90's) Great guy too.

Saad, I am thinking of a BBQ at my place in the next month or so, home theatre/Music room and an arcade room. Heaps of music and videos to be heard. You seen some of it last night but I think we need to make it a full blown event soon

Other members welcome too

Steve

I like this idea very much

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Following on from the OP saad's question on here, in 2016 I wasn't able to commit much time to my love of audio due to working long hours,.... however in 2017 I am going to make the time to organise a monthly Gold coast GTG.I'm suggesting one night a month 6-9pm over 12 months at a commercial site that I have access to at Coomera. My thoughts are to invite our local audio suppliers (and those on the GCoast would mostly know who they are) and for fellow gold coast stereo.netters to bring along their gear for others to listen to.

If anyone is still actively on this thread and interested in this in 2017 send me a PM, I'm open to suggestions and I will make it happen in about 4 weeks for a late January GTG.

Cheers, Harry

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

I don't think QLD apart from a couple of efforts, quite do GTG's  like the Melb/Syd/SA/WA mobs do them.

Is it the weather, the lifestyle or what?

Social GTG's mixed with a bit of gear **** activity are great.

I'd have one here but my system is: A.Ordinary and B. In a special room with seating for 1, no room for 2 or 3 blokes on a couch swilling beer&wine and hogging the turntable.

But I have hinted to a couple of members up that way I'm open for a weekend but...nothings happened yet.

Distance is a problem I think.

Damo and Adam and Cafad's GTG at the Burleigh heads surf club was  great and drew a lot of people. But gtg's in someone's home are few and far between.

Hard to believe that there isn't some members on the GC that can host a weekend do and show up the Mexicans!

But...look how old this thread is...

I've got  a box of LP's sitting up Toma Audio I have to bring back home after gathering dust for 12 months so I'm up for a trip over the border if anyone is throwing a GTG.

@Bill125812 Are you thinking of Lenehan audio in Southport? Only local maker I know of, but not really kits. Edit: Misunderstood what you wrote, had to reread. Would be very interested to see what kind kit and sound he makes.

I attended one of LivingSound and Visions showcase nights last year, that was quite fun listening to a few different systems and seeing their products on display and meeting other people who were also passionate about HIFI.

I'm thinking I could hold a GTG at my place on a Sat/Sun afternoon. My setup is in a room big enough for about 10 people.

Edited by darkfringe
Misunderstood previous comment
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, darkfringe said:

@Bill125812 Are you thinking of Lenehan audio in Southport? Only local maker I know of, but not really kits. Edit: Misunderstood what you wrote, had to reread. Would be very interested to see what kind kit and sound he makes.

I attended one of LivingSound and Visions showcase nights last year, that was quite fun listening to a few different systems and seeing their products on display and meeting other people who were also passionate about HIFI.

I'm thinking I could hold a GTG at my place on a Sat/Sun afternoon. My setup is in a room big enough for about 10 people.

No. Not Mike.  

He is a member here but will have to check if he's ok to bring his gear.  

I'll pm you when I have contacted him 

Edited by Bill125812

• 2 weeks later...

Also interested in GTGs on the GC. 

I am in Mudgeeraba and have Duntech Sovereign speakers and ME25 pre/ ME1400 amp. I can't move them (185kg per speaker), but if anyone wants to try their (much lighter) gear on this system, by all means. If anyone has access to any good DACs or digital streamers etc I am particularly interested to see (hear) if it would be worthwhile investing in an expensive DAC? 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, nicholas9976 said:

Also interested in GTGs on the GC. 

I am in Mudgeeraba and have Duntech Sovereign speakers and ME25 pre/ ME1400 amp. I can't move them (185kg per speaker), but if anyone wants to try their (much lighter) gear on this system, by all means. If anyone has access to any good DACs or digital streamers etc I am particularly interested to see (hear) if it would be worthwhile investing in an expensive DAC? 

Don't know your budget, but Dacs/streamers are easy to transport - so should be able to bring to your place. I am sure some QLD members would love to hear the legendary Sovereigns.

In the meantime you could check out Mike Lenehan (he has and sells PS Audio stuff )Clay Gieseler (he has excellent dacs) and Toma Audio (sells nice stuff) - all in the Gold Coast.

• Like 1

Just now, Jventer said:

Don't know your budget, but Dacs/streamers are easy to transport - so should be able to bring to your place. I am sure some QLD members would love to hear the legendary Sovereigns.

In the meantime you could check out Mike Lenehan (he has and sells PS Audio stuff )Clay Gieseler (he has excellent dacs) and Toma Audio (sells nice stuff) - all in the Gold Coast.

Budget range is $1k-$10k new price for DAC. Probably I will buy secondhand though. 

3 minutes ago, nicholas9976 said:

Budget range is $1k-$10k new price for DAC. Probably I will buy secondhand though. 

That is plenty! And there is a massive range in that price range.

I love buying used. My dac is an upgraded 2005 model.

With dac's I think it is important to decide if your decision on technology e.g. older R2R, PCM, DSD MQA etc. The guys I have referred you to should have most of the latest technology available.

It ,may be a good idea to buy something you fancy here used and try it out in your system as you could always sell it without losing much.

There will be a GTG at Lenehan's soon as @bhobba and a few others have new speakers being built and plan a capacitor comparison. I am planning to attend that (3 hour drive0 but all the previous ones were fantastic.

Edited by Jventer

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I have planned visit to the Gold Coast early in May and would like to know if there is a possibility of catching up with anyone who may have a few hours to spend talking and listening?

Thanks,

Russell.

• 3 months later...

We are moving up to the Gold Coast in several weeks time and thought why not ask the question if there are any local's that have gtg and could put up with a couple of new arrivals to Queensland coming along?

cheers Terry

On your way up stop in Coffs Harbour at Coffs Audio and say hello to the boys there - not many GTG's but nice new shop and they have been in the industry a long time.

@Darren69 and myself are in Grafton so everyone going up and down the Pacific Highway has to come past us - always feel free to let us know to meet for a coffee/drink/listen.

In Gold Coast you have Mike Lenehan and Clay Gieseler - both commercial members. There should be a GTG soon.

There are a number of members around the Gold Coast/Brisbane and I have met them at GTG's at Mike's.

There is a nice HiFi shop in Tweed to pop into - Toma Audio.

Have not been to the Queensland Audio Club - that is on my list.

• 4 weeks later...