The Song Game

Radiohead:

Yesterday - In Rainbows

Today - Hail to the Thief

These records honour the experimental spirit of, say, early Henry Cow and Robert Wyatt yet the songs have contemporary hooks for those who can't recall (who weren't born in) 1972. They aren't pioneering; they are excellent. And their excellence makes me feel young, which is reason enough to listen.

maxgate;151907 wrote:
Radiohead:

Yesterday - In Rainbows

Today - Hail to the Thief

These records honour the experimental spirit of, say, early Henry Cow and Robert Wyatt yet the songs have contemporary hooks for those who can't recall (who weren't born in) 1972. They aren't pioneering; they are excellent. And their excellence makes me feel young, which is reason enough to listen.

I agree and also like their latest; it's dense and reveals more with repeated listenings. Like them or loathe them ( the former for me ) they're a band who are not content to keep trudging the same musical path and that keeps them being relevant.

Yesterday on lp worked through some of the recent Grateful Dead 5xlp box set.

Looking through some reviews on Amazon recently and saw one punter laying out the sweeping comment that all reissues since the early 90s should be avoided as they're crap.

I would suggest the gent have a listen to the above set or the Dylan Mono reissues. Sure there're some duds, but there're also a fair amount of cream coming through to.

IMO a golden age for physical product, maybe the last so make the most of it.

Last night on cd, Tom Waits and Crystal Gayle-movie soundtrack, One From The Heart.

I know nohing about Ms Gayle but she has a fine pair of pipes and Waits is in good form as well. Picked up the cd at JB,HIFI, waiting on the vinyl reissue from Amazon to arrive.