Monks - Black Monk Time

Frank Zappa - You Are What You Is

Some recent Tardme treasures...

Springsteen Tunnel of Love JP CD

Lisa Stansfield Real Woman JP CD

Gotan Project Live Fr CD

Godspeed You Black Emperor!- F#A# Infinity cd

Nile-Those Whom the Gods Detest (Vinyl)

Kronos Quartet plays Terry Riley (Vinyl)

Kraftwerk-Minimum Maximum (Vinyl)

Holy Fu(k- Latin (Vinyl)

last night for us

the cure :- rare 12'' versions 2

madonna :- angel 12'' = b side into the groove

fever tree :- fever tree

syd barrett :- opel

the doors :- the doors

the beatles :- sgt pepper

pink floyd :- piper at the gates of dawn

syd barrett :- the madcap laguhes

This afternoon/evening so far -

Hugh Masekela - Hope

Buena Vista Social Club

Antonio Forcione - Touch Wood

Steely Dan - Aja

Gerry Rafferty - City To City

John Martyn - The Church With One Bell

King Crimson - Islands

All vinyl last night.

A few from E C...

Slowhand

Backless

461 Ocean Boulevard

Then...

Kate Bush-A Kick Inside

and...

Ian Dury-New Boots and Pantys

Had a good session with the new speakers and had to force myself to pull the pin at 12.30am:)

CDs today as its brew day - not able to change record/flip sides every 20 odd min:

The Puddle - Songs for Emily Valentine

The Majick Heads - Transvection

Dead Exes - Dead Exes

Uncut - Search and Destroy

Mojo - Heavy Soul

Strangely the music on both the Uncut and the Mojo serve as touchstones for my current reading "Rip It Up and Start Again", particularly the chapter on Gang of Four and like-minded groups, they grew out of, yet rejected the sound of, the punk movement, instead adopting and adapting the edgy and fractured sounds found in funk and soul.

T110;127241 wrote:
All vinyl last night.

A few from E C...

Slowhand

Backless

461 Ocean Boulevard

Then...

Kate Bush-A Kick Inside

and...

Ian Dury-New Boots and Pantys

Had a good session with the new speakers and had to force myself to pull the pin at 12.30am:)

yeah! I'm sure the whanau would enjoy being woken up at midnight to "arseholes! barstards! 4kn kunts and prix!" at midnight. I reserve that record strictly for daylight hours, preferably midday on a sunny Sunday.

Last night with quite a few glasses of Canadian Club

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Mojo- getting played a lot at the moment

Neil Young - Tonight's The Night

Warren Zevon - Mutineer

Roger Waters - Amused To Death

The Band - The Last Waltz ( Disc 1)

After finially chaning to a MC cart the old records are getting an airing and are sounding great ! I didn't think of old kenwood was up for it !

Brothers in Arms , Dire Straits

Chaka Chan Remixed

Simple Red , A few older ones

Japan , Exercising Ghosts

Malcom Mclaren , Waltz Daring

Jam on it "12 inch"

Blue Nile , Walk across the roof tops" linn Pressing

Simple Minds " Sister Feeling Calls"

Nice to see you have the original Blue Nile album Neal. It is lovely on a nice system.

My night:

Yello ' Mix on one go'

Yello ' the Race' - Cd single

Alphaville- ' The Breathtaking blue'

A Flock of Seagulls - ' Story of a young heart.'

Celebrate the nun - Meanwhile

Exorcising Ghosts on vinyl? My original copy was on MC as I was at uni at the time and my Walkman went everywhere with me. The MC is now f'ed and i've looked for it on LP since but could never find it; only the CD which is missing a few key tracks.

My brother has our (shared copy) of the Linn pressing of "A Walk Across the Rooftops" :(

Papa Hemi;127248 wrote:
yeah! I'm sure the whanau would enjoy being woken up at midnight to "arseholes! barstards! 4kn kunts and prix!" at midnight. I reserve that record strictly for daylight hours, preferably midday on a sunny Sunday.

A man has to know his limitations:D I dont dare turn the volume past 8 o'clock and even then I get afraid and back it off to about half way between 7 & 8;)

Guest Guest

Echo and the Bunnymen - 'Crocodiles', vinyl

Echo and the Bunnymen - 'Ocean Rain', vinyl

Rage Against The Machine - First Album, vinyl

Lou Reed - 'Transformer', vinyl

These last two records are brand new audiophile pressings on the Music On Vinyl label. They sound fantastic! Quiet, smooth, just superb sound quality. I highly recommend this label!

Ah the 80s and the Crucial Three. Then Echo & the Bunnymen & Teardrop Explodes. The NME was a real touchstone in those days.

Now, I'm in dread of listening to that stuff again. At least from that period. It was like sex for the first time, drugs for the first time. Anything for the first time. It's pretty hard catching the same rush... :D

Back in the early 80's Echo & the Bunnymen played in a big tin shed on Riverlea Rd in Hamilton, now a panelbeaters? - draped with camoflauge netting to add some visual ambience, shame about the sonics. But their music meant a lot to me back then, so I was happy.

weekend listening:

second CD of King Crimson's 'concise KC' anthology. Well played by Mr Fripp & friends but rather naff lyrics. The first disc is better but some songs are abridged to fit on the disc, alas.

Roland Kirk (my new avatar, can't get much more horn-loaded than this guy) - Rip Rig & Panic, CD ex library sale.

RK explains the title in the notes, as his wake-up call to complacent muso's at the time.

Rip - dozing muso's - as in Rip van Winkle

Rig - they're in a state of rigor mortis

Panic - reaction of said musos when Roland unleashes his stritch, manzello, police whistles, etc!

The Rip Rig & Panic name was taken up by that 80's group of Brit funk-jazzers, who had Neneh Cherry (Don's daughter) on vocals, and some guys from the Pop Group. Haven't heard them, but would like to.

Finally, some live jazz at the Masonic on Sunday evening; the Manawatu Jazz Club's monthly meeting.

neil;127308 wrote:
Rip Rig & Panic performed a song on an episode of the Young Ones if I'm not mistaken...

You are indeed correct Neil. Wonder who your favourite character was? ;)

Great show from the '80s but when the musical interludes came on it was always time for me to go off and get a drink of cocoa. Unless it was Motorhead or Dexys Midnight Runners.

King Size;127280 wrote:

My brother has our (shared copy) of the Linn pressing of "A Walk Across the Rooftops"
:(

My quest for a mint copy of this LP continues!

Anyone have one they want to sell? Must be MINT though. Or will swap for two EX UK copies, or 2 EX+/NM NZ copies.

crackityjones;127309 wrote:
You are indeed correct Neil. Wonder who your favourite character was?
;)

Boomshanka! or (May the seed of your loins be fruitful in the belly of your woman...):)

My wife is away and my 2 yr old son's education on 80's synth pop continues. Fortunately he seems to like it:

Erasure: ' Wild' - nice upbeat, 80's synth pop.

Yazoo- ' Upstairs at Eric's.' Nice, melodic synth melodies.

Alphaville : Forever Young - one of my favourite 80's bands that hardly anybody knows of in NZ. Lush, teutonic keyboards.

Men Without Hats - Pop Goes the World - the title track is almost a pop tune for a 2 year old. Works well. Nicely recorded, forgotten album.

Electronic 'Electronic' - not quite 80's but sounds like it. Spoonfuls of New Order and The Smiths with some sprinkling of Pet Shop Boys. Nice.