Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable Owners & Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, deniall said:

Are these considered a decent alternative to the SL1200 or is it worth trying to track down a good one?

Depends what you want it for.   If DJing then I'd get a PLX for the extra torque and pitch adjustment.  If not then a technics for better value retention and available mods.  

On 11/04/2017 at 8:46 PM, Diynamic said:

@deniall plx1000s are fine to use .. I had one for a couple of years , get one new or one second hand still under warranty , Technics will not have a factory warranty.

The refurbished Stokyo SL1200's come with a 1 year warranty, but that's about all. No lid, no platter mat and no headshell. Still, at $1099 it might might be a good option for a near mint 1200.

21 minutes ago, Chigurh said:

The refurbished Stokyo SL1200's come with a 1 year warranty, but that's about all. No lid, no platter mat and no headshell. Still, at $1099 it might might be a good option for a near mint 1200.

That's a good option , I would suggest not to worry about the mat and get yourself a achromat to go with your technics or what ever you decide ..

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/04/2017 at 0:42 PM, Chigurh said:

I do like the sound of these. It says Australian transformer and plug fitted. Does this mean they are 240v or is a stepup required?

18 hours ago, deniall said:

I do like the sound of these. It says Australian transformer and plug fitted. Does this mean they are 240v or is a stepup required?

That suggests to me that it's good to go without a stepup.

• 3 months later...

1 hour ago, deniall said:

What is the advantage over a PLX-1000? Is it a better table or just cheaper?

The Reloop is equally as good and cheaper. But more importantly the Pioneer platter is submerged below the plinth which means you need a cartridge spacer to achieve correct vta with many cartridges such as the AT440mlb. The Reloop platter sits above the plinth so correct vta can be achieved with any cartridge. No spacer is required. The Pioneer is poor engineering in that respect. My Reloop is still going strong. It's my main and most enjoyable turntable. I've owned more expensive, and in some respects, slightly better sounding turntables, but I like the balanced presentation of the Reloop, and I love it's ease of use. I don't miss my more expensive turntables one bit. I'm very glad I sold them. I use an AT150Mlx on mine. 

Also the Pioneer has a cheap feeling plastic tonearm lifter lever and the Reloop has a metal lever. It's little things like that which are nicer on the Reloop. 

I know that there are better sounding turntables than the Pioneer or Reloop. I've owned a few, but the differences were marginal. The Pioneer and Reloop sound different, but neither one was above the other in sound quality. I personally have a slight preference for the Reloop. I think it's got a better sonic balance. As is said on forums..... YMMV.

I think cartridges have a bigger effect on sound than the turntable itself, so if you have a $1000 budget you can get a better cartridge by buying the $550 Reloop vs the $900 Pioneer. 

I think the Reloop is good enough to install a MC cartridge if that sort of thing takes your fancy.

11 hours ago, eltech said:

Also the Pioneer has a cheap feeling plastic tonearm lifter lever and the Reloop has a metal lever. It's little things like that which are nicer on the Reloop. 

I know that there are better sounding turntables than the Pioneer or Reloop. I've owned a few, but the differences were marginal. The Pioneer and Reloop sound different, but neither one was above the other in sound quality. I personally have a slight preference for the Reloop. I think it's got a better sonic balance. As is said on forums..... YMMV.

I think cartridges have a bigger effect on sound than the turntable itself, so if you have a $1000 budget you can get a better cartridge by buying the $550 Reloop vs the $900 Pioneer. 

I think the Reloop is good enough to install a MC cartridge if that sort of thing takes your fancy.

Is the reloop compatible with different headshells etc?

• 1 month later...
Of course. I use a Technics headshell on mine. It takes any SME style headshell.

Have you noticed any hum using the reloop? I noticed it says it doesn't need grounding and as a result doesn't have a ground post. What's the speed accuracy and stability like? I'm still leaning towards the pioneer but the VTA thing bothers me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 31/08/2017 at 11:24 AM, deniall said:

Have you noticed any hum using the reloop? I noticed it says it doesn't need grounding and as a result doesn't have a ground post. What's the speed accuracy and stability like? I'm still leaning towards the pioneer but the VTA thing bothers me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No hum with the internal preamp or direct out. Speed accuracy and stability is perfect, just like the Pioneer.

All I suggest is to check out both turntables in person. I'm not saying to get one or the other. My previous posts were just explaining my reasoning behind my choice for the Reloop. As is said on the internet......YMMV.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, Chigurh said:

Has anyone here pulled the pin on the pioneer cartridge specifically made for the PLX-1000? At $349 it's fairly expensive for a DJ cart. It seems to be made by Nagaoka. High output and conical stylus.

https://djcity.com.au/product/pioneer-dj-pcx10-cartridge-for-plx-turntable/ 

Do you need DJ cartridge? Cos For around that price you have so many better option Denon dl103, ortofon quintet red comes to mind if your phono handles MC cartridge

9 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

Do you need DJ cartridge? Cos For around that price you have so many better option Denon dl103, ortofon quintet red comes to mind if your phono handles MC cartridge

Thanks for the reply @mloutfie but I was just asking the question as I am curious to what it might sound like. I have tried several cartridges with this turntable: AT150MLX, Denon DL103, Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MKII, AT95E, Garrott Brothers K1.  The AT150MLX probably sounds the best but the Ortofon sounds excellent too. The DL103 is a few mm too short if you want the VTA to be correct.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, haven't posted here for a good while so hoping somebody could help me with a problem (?) that I've got with my two year old PLX-1000; -

I've noticed a little seeping of liquid every so often coming from just below the arm height ring (below the pivot, at the base of the arm assembly where the arm meets the top plate of the deck).

It seems to be of a greasy consistency (oil lubricant of some kind), it also gathers around the arm lock lever switch and can be seen at the base of the cueing lever when it is raised (in the little gap at the lever's base).

It clears up quite easily with a cotton bud and I can honestly say the performance of both arm and turntable in general doesn't appear to be affected....Any ideas of what this could be and if I've any reason to be concerned?

I've posted the above on the Hoffman site and one of the posters suggested that maybe there was an overfill of lubricant in the cueing mechanism when the unit was manufactured??

I've also contacted Pioneer UK with this expecting a reply within 48 hours.....Anybody here have any other ideas as to what is going on?

Cheers

Darren

Edited by irons1965

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2017 at 3:47 PM, eltech said:

No hum with the internal preamp or direct out. Speed accuracy and stability is perfect, just like the Pioneer.

All I suggest is to check out both turntables in person. I'm not saying to get one or the other. My previous posts were just explaining my reasoning behind my choice for the Reloop. As is said on the internet......YMMV.

Hi, thanks for the info on the Reloop.  There is a RP7000 Mk2 that has just been released, it has a ground terminal and improvements to the arm base.  I think one of these with an Achromat, Jelco / Zupreme headshell, tonearm bearings checked and a KAB tonearm damper would make a decent daily use table.  I have also listened to more expensive tables and a modded SL1200 M5G Technics, not a hell of a lot in it to my ears.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:53 PM, nkoulban said:

There is a RP7000 Mk2 that has just been released

Thanks for letting me know.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:53 PM, nkoulban said:

I have also listened to more expensive tables and a modded SL1200 M5G Technics, not a hell of a lot in it to my ears.

From my experience, there are marked and reasonably audible differences between a properly set up high quality turntable and mid priced offerings. But, like you said, and I agree with, the music still comes out, and to a very high quality even on a mid priced turntable like the Pioneer / Reloop. It is a case of diminishing returns the more a person spends. A lot of money can be spent on the last 5% improvement. there are many who would hear these improvements, then ask, so how much does the better one cost? When told it costs $5,000 extra to sound that wee bit better, most will be very happy with the normal person's turntable. None of this really matters if the album you want to hear has crackles all through it! :-P

Edited by eltech
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just got a PLX-1000 today. Took advantage of a click frenzy offer and eBay code and got it for just over $700. Very impressed so far. Unfortunately mine has a  loose arm as do many others. I tried tightening it as directed but I couldn’t get the screw to budge. Worried I’ll break the thing so might just leave it. I have it running a Nagaoka MP-110 and it sounds tops. I’m probably going to grab a Jelco head shell and Achromat and call it a day.

DC53172F-8556-434F-95F9-A6473C0729CD.jpeg

• Like 1