There's a hole in my man cave!

Guest Peter the Greek

A question from a novice. With air movement - are the in and out vents at the same level? Do they need to be high , low or  the one high and the other low?

Doesn't matter too much. Low supplies and high returns are probably the way to go in a room like this. Sealed, soundproof rooms get hot, really hot. So you want to be taking the hot air out of the top (more efficient for the system too)

The main thing is getting the velocity of the air low (200-250ft/m) so that you can't hear it

Site meeting today, and I've come up with a slight ?improvement in the basic architects plan that won't cost a great deal of time or cash. Basically a couple of small soffits in the rear corners to direct air flow further apart (reducing short circuiting), and to minimise noise transference into and out of room. Not sure about ending the 150mm flexiduct into a box with large grille, though. Hoping this will slow air velocity - quieter, and change in diameter will also act like dead vent. Let me know what you think. My crappy drawing below.

5f1b1dcde0111be7bc1b930ed6765dce.jpg

Sealed, soundproof rooms get hot, really hot. So you want to be taking the hot air out of the top (more efficient for the system too)

The main thing is getting the velocity of the air low (200-250ft/m) so that you can't hear it

Though with an underground concrete bunker in Victoria I would have thought, at least for say March to October and with no decent internal heat source, that the cold would be a bigger issue.  In the winter months especially Zammo will need a ski outfit!!

Guest Peter the Greek

Though with an underground concrete bunker in Victoria I would have thought, at least for say March to October and with no decent internal heat source, that the cold would be a bigger issue.  In the winter months especially Zammo will need a ski outfit!!

Not with a sealed door. It heats up very quickly with people alone (forget gear for a moment - assuming its in there). Cooling will be needed all year round.

Guest Peter the Greek

@@Zammo have you got a HVAC engineer doing the work or is this just the builder?

What about air con? where is that coming in? I'd want to have a professional sign off on it (that it'll work - to your specs for noise and temp control)

@@Zammo have you got a HVAC engineer doing the work or is this just the builder?

What about air con? where is that coming in? I'd want to have a professional sign off on it (that it'll work - to your specs for noise and temp control)

No, just architect and builder at the moment. We have scope to move with aircon, as the fresh air and exhaust air ducts are being externally vented. There are some time constraints at present, so we are going to see how we fly with the ERV unit alone. One advantage of the bunker is that it is underground in the north side of a hill, so a very large amount of thermal stability year round. Ventilation will only be on when room is in use, otherwise door open to large open living space with huge slab that will maintain comfortable temps year round. Edited by Zammo

Actually, probably being a little harsh on builder, as they have been referring problems of the man cave on to mechanical contractor who has designed upstairs aircon system. Just wish they had referred design issues earlier in build!

Guest Peter the Greek

Hmm, ok see how you go.

This is what my designer said when I raised the issue...he's American

Even in Fargo, ND in the middle of the worst winter, you MUST consider the cooling of these rooms.

Outside isn't the problem, its bodies inside with the door closed

Advantage with my room is the large size - 8 by 5 by 3.3, and the fact that will often only be me in the room listening to tunes. My wife thinks I'm hot, but not that hot!

Just exploring option of fresh air source coming from internal living space with mechanical contractor. Now that we have improved sound isolation with current design, could extract fresh air from living space which is huge and will be far more temperature stable than outside source. This will put less stress on ERV unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the ERV unit in situ. It's in the bulkhead above the kitchen. The cave inlet and outlet acoustic duct is seen attached. The limbs to outside yet to be connected. Bulkhead will be insulated with acoustisorb or similar.

4f480d3f986887e3734ca12e19cc592b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive an old thread... Just wondering how the ERV is performing? Is this your only form of ventilation for the sealed room? I also have a sealed music room that I don't want to have air conditioned, just mechanically ventilated with fresh air from the adjacent underhouse storage area. I was just planning to use flex duct and a quiet inline axial fan to exhaust the stuffy air but still reading through all the info on sound leakage issues. So does this ERV perform all the air ventilation you need? Is it quiet? The website also says you can supply air only (not the moisture) which is what i'd be interested in.

Thanks.