To buy or not to buy (Oppo BDP-105D)

I have just sold my BDP-83SE and was just wondering if there has been any confirmed rumours on the next models. The 105 seems to have been out for a while now and I am just trying to work out if it is worth waiting for the next model (115D?) or if I should just buy a 105D now?

Haven't heard any rumours yet about new models, and the 105D (Darbee) version is relatively new (I believe), so will probably be around for a while yet.

It all comes down to whether you have the patience to wait an indeterminate length of time for a hypothetical new model which may have extra features and improved specs, or which may not. The decision is entirely yours.  ;)

I have just sold my BDP-83SE and was just wondering if there has been any confirmed rumours on the next models. The 105 seems to have been out for a while now and I am just trying to work out if it is worth waiting for the next model (115D?) or if I should just buy a 105D now?

why do you particularly want the 105D ? that will probably be a factor on deciding on whether should buy one or not :)

as to new models ? theres cedia in sept…then ces jan next year.

given 4K blu-ray is on the horizon, I wouldn't expect any new models any time soon. if there were, in the interim they'd be not much more than minor tinkering I would expect :)

Current model OPPO players support 4k blu-ray, by the way.

nope...

the new 4K blu-ray format hasnt been released as yet. and will likely feature expanded colour space, upgrade hdmi spec, hdcp spec and also support for 21:9 natively. what your thinking about is perhaps 4K upscaling which is something else :)

• Like 1

Including the 105

4K upscaling, which is useless as Ts on a bull when comes on a player. since unless have a 4K display you wont be able to utilise it....and if you had a 4K display it would upscale to 4K anything you fed it ...so 4k upscaling on a player is unnecessary :)

4K blu-ray is native 4K material on a blu-ray...not an upscaler in the player to upscale the native 1080p material that blu-ray supports :)

ps also dont confuse what you will see on the shelves termed as "4k blu-rays" these are just mastered in 4K and still only 1080p which is what the blu-ray format will support.  this is kinda like the mastered in 24bit CDs.... :)

• Like 3

Al is right, the OPPO sites quotes 4k up scaling, what ever that means....

consider it the same as back in the day when you had DVD players that played standard definition (576i/576p) that upscaled to high definition 1080i :) you needed a high definition 1080i display to get benefit from that. but it isn't anything upto native 1080i/p we got when blu-ray finally came along :)

now you have blu-ray players that are natively 1080i/p and some e.g. the oppo here have a 4k upscaler. and you need a 4k display to enjoy. and of course its going to be nothing upto true native 4k material you are going to get when native 4k format material comes along… :)

Thanks guys this is exactly the kind of feedback I need. I have a 1080p 3D TV now (83SE was a non 3D player) and I do plan to upgrade to a 3D 4k projector once they become affordable.

To me I kind of feel like the 105 is half way to a new standard, and even though it up scales, I was concerned it would only do half the job. Also the HDMI seems to be based on old standards. These are my major concerns.

On the plus side if I get the 105 I get a 3D player, I also get a player that will take other inputs i.e. Mede8er X3D 1000, computer and upscale their content. Also the 83E only had single ended outputs where as the 105 has XLRs allowing balanced stereo outputs for going into my Groundsound active x-over.

So I want to upgrade but really wasn't sure if I should try hang out for better features and a proper 4k picture, or if it is going to be a long was off.

The 105D with all the mods is getting up towards $2k and if a new model is just around the corner I am a little hesitant to spend the dough... I guess if there is no word of anything new coming I guess I will just have to buy one now.

Edit:

On a side note I see a few features I haven't noticed before like DSD support. Would this allow me to play SACDs through the analogue outputs? If I have read correctly it will but I have bought devices before thinking it would do something and it hasn't. Can someone please confirm this for me please.

Edited by Silent Screamer

Thanks guys this is exactly the kind of feedback I need. I have a 1080p 3D TV now (83SE was a non 3D player) and I do plan to upgrade to a 3D 4k projector once they become affordable.

To me I kind of feel like the 105 is half way to a new standard, and even though it up scales, I was concerned it would only do half the job. Also the HDMI seems to be based on old standards. These are my major concerns.

On the plus side if I get the 105 I get a 3D player, I also get a player that will take other inputs i.e. Mede8er X3D 1000, computer and upscale their content. Also the 83E only had single ended outputs where as the 105 has XLRs allowing balanced stereo outputs for going into my Groundsound active x-over.

So I want to upgrade but really wasn't sure if I should try hang out for better features and a proper 4k picture, or if it is going to be a long was off.

The 105D with all the mods is getting up towards $2k and if a new model is just around the corner I am a little hesitant to spend the dough... I guess if there is no word of anything new coming I guess I will just have to buy one now.

Do you need the extra features offered by 105 Darbee over the standard 105? That is probably your major consideration

Besides better video is there a difference?

There is a different video chip in the two units.

This can have a side issue if you are bitstreaming DSD over HDMI.  On the 103/105, you cannot do this over HDMI1, so you have to use both HDMI1 (video) and HDMI2 (DSD over HDMI).  On the 103D/105D, the video chip used does not prevent the DSD so you can use a single HDMI connector (HDMI1) to your AVR for the darbee video and sacd DSD bitstream.

Of course, if you are not decoding DSD in a receiver then this difference will not be of any importance to you.  Highly likely to be unimportant if you are connecting via the nalague connections on the 105.

Benje (DSD/HDMI1 user with a 103D)

Edited by Benje

I could never use DSD on the 83SE because I never had something like a Denon to receive a DSD signal for decoding. I sold my AVR (Rotel RSP 1570) as I like the minimalistic approach and didn't do DSD.

So I really like the idea of being able to play DSD over analogue, so I can send the signal directly to my active xover without the need for an AVR. I also like the 105D being able to feed other inputs into it acting like a pseudo AVR.

I believe the other difference besides the video on the Darbee is the USB Asynchronous DAC, which gives me computer options as well. Currently I have an expensive computer built but it isn't used.

Edit:

One of the features I would like to use on the later models is the dual HDMI out for video to both a TV and a projector.

Edited by Silent Screamer

Based on Oppo's upgrade cycle, I'd expect they would have a new generation that will incorporate HDMI 2.0 spec and have a chipset that can do 4k@60fps. 

But this is still quite far off. Not even the whiff of a rumour at this stage. And even if the rumour breaks, you can expect at least another 6 months before the higher spec model with audiophile DACs is released.

The Darbee model was released not too long ago so I expect it would be the flagship for a while longer. And as there's no new BD-specification for 4K movies, I doubt there's really any need for HDMI 2.0 compliance, seeing as you can even support 4k resolutions with HDMI 1.4 (at 24fps or 30fps). 

There is also no need to upgrade the BD player to get Atmos functionality - so that's one less reason for another upgrade cycle. 

BTW unless there's been an update to the firmware, it looks like only the BDP-105D can handle DSD over USB up to DSD2x. The regular BDP-105 doesn't seem to support it.

Thanks DoggieHowser have made the decision to buy the 105D just trying now to work out if I should get the Clarity Cap upgrade... Have also been briefly talking to Wynn from Simply Hi Fi about getting Parasound P7 to put in front of my new amps.

As much as I have really enjoyed the Ground Sound DCN28 with ADC / DAC, active x-over, pre amp all in one, I am seriously thinking about breaking out the components to individual components.

This would be headed by the Oppo BDP-105D for DAC duties, into a couple of Ground Sound DCN 24rpc  http://groundsound.com/dcn24rpc.php into the Parasound P7, into the Butler Audio and Halcro MC-70 for an active two channel stereo.

i would like to suggest to replace the switching power supply module with a linear power supply unit. Very effective, you could spot the difference at once, I did it with my oppo 93 (with darbee), pictures were projected on a 130" screen.

you can buy it from here

http://www.oppomod.com

very easy to do, in my opinion, in between darbee and this lps, I would choose the lps as it made a bigger difference. For the darbee, depends on the display, it helps a lot with my humble benq projector, but not that much in my new lg 4k display tv

depends on the price of the clarity cap upgrade (I believe it is for audio output caps, but I may be wrong), the lps may be a more effective upgrade

few things...have you checked out whether the additional cost for not only the D version or let alone modding the player now even before got it ... is worth it, to you ? can just keep adding cost and adding cost your ending up with quite an expensive player in the end. keep in mind these sort of players get out of date very quickly. your talking single figures in years before outdated. I wouldnt suggest over investing if plan on upgrading as will never get your cash back :)

• Like 2