US power points

Guest yamaha_man

So the question is are the unswitched outlet legal? Does all outlets need to be approval? I know this is true with likes of electrical applicances and maybe power boards.

Otherwise, something like this might work :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Pin-AU-2-Pin-US-EU-Socket-White-Square-Wall-Outlet-Plate-AC-250V-16A-/111385395992?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item19ef164318

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Repairing-Power-Connector-3-Pin-AU-Plug-Socket-Wall-Plate-AC-250V-16A-/111380616393?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item19eecd54c9

I might call up an electrician and ask.

They are some of the most stupid and dangerous things I've seen in a long time!  :wacko:

So the question is are the unswitched outlet legal? Does all outlets need to be approval? I know this is true with likes of electrical applicances and maybe power boards.

Otherwise, something like this might work :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Pin-AU-2-Pin-US-EU-Socket-White-Square-Wall-Outlet-Plate-AC-250V-16A-/111385395992?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item19ef164318

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Repairing-Power-Connector-3-Pin-AU-Plug-Socket-Wall-Plate-AC-250V-16A-/111380616393?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item19eecd54c9

I might call up an electrician and ask.

Why do you think something like that would be useful? They are universal so you can bet the connection would be nowhere near as secure as a standard outlet because it is designed to accommodate different types of plug. There is no way any such outlet would ever be approved for use in Australia. An unknown brand from Hong Kong for $8.88, it it worth the risk?

Edited by holdencaulfield2007

US type mains plugs are illegal for use in Victoria. The plug is so badly designed you can have the plug  in the socket and pull it out nearly 6mm and the prongs are still live! Forget about any insurance. If you have small children, having these plugs in your house could prove fatal!

Excellent and honest comments! That's what I value about this forum. What I have post might seemed stupid and straight forward, but I am pretty sure it cleared lots of doubts for many people on the forum!

Edited by coeuslee

• 2 years later...
On 09/06/2014 at 7:33 AM, Krispy Audio said:

The in-between option is to use unswitched AU outlets. Interestingly a good source for these is in NZ. I've got one customer who has changed his outlet to US, did it himself of course, and reported an improvement. It was either a Shunyata or Furutech one (can't remember), annoying that they don't make AU ones. I believe they'd be a huge success here if anyone did make a high-end AU one...

If only someone would release an audiophike grade AU outlet.  Or get a US outlet approved for use in Australia as an exemption/exception ... their high cost would prevent widespread use; they'd only be used by people who really desire a high quality outlet.

I wonder what Aussie recording studios use?

5 hours ago, dbastin said:

If only someone would release an audiophike grade AU outlet.  Or get a US outlet approved for use in Australia as an exemption/exception ... their high cost would prevent widespread use; they'd only be used by people who really desire a high quality outlet.

I wonder what Aussie recording studios use?

Like all sane people and organisations, they use Australian approved sockets and plugs. US power sockets and plugs are poorly designed and constructed and are not approved for sale and use in Australia. They should not, under any circumstances, be used in Australia unless they are used with a fully isolated 240VAC - 117VAC step-down transformer.  

• Like 4