DEQX Owners Thread

44 minutes ago, Marc said:

Get onto DEQX. I am sure they will point you in the right direction.

My HDP-5 is currently en-route from DEQX with the latest firmware + Roon implemented. Looking forward to giving it a go!

thanks Marc, will do.

By the way the new software sounds great! A noticeable improvement.

• Administrator

Can we please try and stay on topic in relation to a DEQX owners thread. :)

Starting to head in another direction now that may warrant its own thread perhaps?

EDIT: DSD/PCM Conversion Discussion Split to:

• 5 weeks later...

5 hours ago, ArhurS said:

What do you think of this:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/01/between-ad-and-da-the-power-of-pragmatism/

i was told that it was pointless to have a high quality DAC before a DEQX but this writer suggests otherwise.  Would that apply to HQPlayer as well? 

I think the major point Mr. Darko was making was that AD/DA situations are essentially transparent and hardly the boggeyman that they are often made out to be.  If one has several AD/DA processes in the chain and those processes are well engineered then it probably doesn't matter in which order they are done.  Insert a crook AD/DA, then that is what you get; the old weakest link in the chain scenario.

A friend had his PS-Audio Directstream DAC in front of his DEQX and was very happy with that configuration.  I thought about trying it but there are insufficient digital inputs on the PSA (and of the wrong type) for my digital sources, and source selection would be split across 2 boxes, so it would only have been an experiment.  In which case, I haven't ever bothered. The way my system is configured there is only one DA step and the 'control'  is all in the DEQX, so that works quite well.  Other family members can operate the system when it is relatively simple like that.

Sorry, don't know anything about a Roon implementation nor HQPlayer.  I have seen Roon running on Alan's Mac but it was not 'connected' to a DEQX box.  As far as I know "Roon endpoint" is still in development since there has been no official announcement that I have heard.  Moot point, I think, for me since I have a HDP4 [I suspect Roon can only work on a HDP5 'cos it should need an ethernet port??].  They will release it in time.  I much prefer a release of a tested, reliable and stable product than the incremental bug fix approach that we have seen from PSA and their Directstream DAC firmware.

Regarding digital manipulation of the PCM before it gets to the DEQX (eg. sample rate changes in the source device etc.) , I have noticed no difference at all if my MSB memory spinner upsamples or not.  If HQPlayer (however it works, and whatever it does) brings something to the table then it's worth a try.  One never knows.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
I have just purchased some horn speakers. I assume that I can measure them for DEQX just like any other speakers?

Dont worry about the DEQX just yet. We need to know more about these horn speakers. We will also need photos!

What do you think of this:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/01/between-ad-and-da-the-power-of-pragmatism/

i was told that it was pointless to have a high quality DAC before a DEQX but this writer suggests otherwise.  Would that apply to HQPlayer as well? 

I got told that too, in fact that was what stalled my purchasing one.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

If you are using HQPlayer you can mimic most of the dsp/convolution and crossover functions of deqx using other software. For multichannel you still need capabe dac/s. Roon also hasthis functionality now as well.

The advantage of the software based solutions being you can use whatever dac and pre you choose and also whatever sample rate, now including dsd1024!. Having said that deqx can be simpler and is an all in one solution.

On 5/16/2017 at 3:42 PM, ArhurS said:

I have just purchased some horn speakers. I assume that I can measure them for DEQX just like any other speakers?

you can measure horn speakers the same as any other speaker with DEQX and create a "speaker correction" filter to apply to the speaker/driver.

That said, the "speaker correction" is only as good as the speaker measurement.

If reflections are present in the speaker/driver measurement (and at low frequencies they always are) you need to decide if want to include these reflections in the "correction" filter applied by DEQX.

DEQX and other similar products, have the ability to "window out" the first and subsequent reflections in the measurement, but you lose detail (specifically low frequency information) depending on the window length.

This is why speaker manufacturers pay lots of money to test speakers in anechoic chambers, and speaker DIYers measure speakers outdoors, and preferably waaay off the ground - to maximise the time difference between the direct sound hitting the mike, and the first reflection hitting the mike (you "window" just prior to the 1st reflection to ignore the data from the 1st reflection and beyond) .

Horn speakers may require the mike further away for a proper measurement - and "close miked in room" measurements may not work well - depending on the horn setup.

This is not a limitation of DEQX, but a limitation of capturing a speakers' response without reflections.

To get "reflection free" measurements with data below about 500Hz or so requires a serious outdoor measurement rig (no boundaries for a long way, including the ground).

cheers

Mike

PS I run PSE144 horns and DEQX and changed my amp setup to leverage measurements of the PSE144 done on a better measurement rig than I could ever replicate

1 hour ago, ArhurS said:

thanks Mike for a great response. Approximately how far away would you recommend for the measurement? My speakers are Volti Rivals.

Does the DEQX procedure provide guidance on this?     I'd be very surprised if the answer is not yes.

On 5/18/2017 at 6:11 PM, davewantsmoore said:

Does the DEQX procedure provide guidance on this?     I'd be very surprised if the answer is not yes.

The DEQX doco does provide this info - examples below

"The microphone should be mounted about 3 feet (or 1 metre) from the speaker and lined up with the tweeter axis. Best results will be obtained if you use a microphone stand with a boom to support the microphone.
If larger speakers are used it may be necessary to mount the microphone further from the speaker, in order to reduce the angle between the drivers and the microphone (and any associated off-axis effects). However, moving the microphone further from the speaker will potentially increase measured room effects and /or reduce the period of the measurement before the first room reflection, hence the reason for the suggested distance of 3 feet."

and 

"Better results may be obtained by measuring the speaker outside, provided that a quiet location is used. One method, particularly useful for large speakers, is to rest the speaker on the ground, pointing up at a 45 degree angle. The microphone should still be lined up with the speaker's driver axis, i.e. it will be pointing down at the speaker at a 45 degree angle. When measured with this method, the speaker measurement can be similar to that obtainable in an anechoic chamber."

and the DEQX Technical Support Advisory Paper on "Dealing with speaker measurement reflections" and a similar paper on "Calibration Hints".

DEQX doesn't provide measurement guidelines for specific speakers - too hard

On 5/18/2017 at 5:04 PM, ArhurS said:

thanks Mike for a great response. Approximately how far away would you recommend for the measurement? My speakers are Volti Rivals.

You could regard the Volti's as a "large" speaker and use the DEQX guidance accordingly.

In some cases I choose to ignore DEQX' advice, and do an "in room close miked" measurement (like 10mm from the driver) on my 18's (which are way too heavy and unsafe to get off the ground far enough to provide a useful measurement down low), do a DEQX speaker correction based on the close miked measurement, then do a DEQX room correction to fix room response (or just measure room response and apply my own EQ).

Mike

• Like 1

12 hours ago, almikel said:

DEQX doesn't provide measurement guidelines for specific speakers - too hard

No I didn't expect specific. .... more just the guidance in general  (eg. whether they say, it MUST be a certain distance ... or whether you can do what ever you want as long as it is more than X from boundaries, etc.)

I just read the review of the Volti Rivals in Stereophile magazine and they measured the horn midrange arriving at the microphone 0.55 milliseconds after the woofer and 0.75 milliseconds after the tweeter. So Mike is right, looks like I will need to have the microphone much further away- maybe 2 m. For my current ATC drivers I have the microphone about 60 cm away.

@ArhurS

although (IMHO) better implemented actively, DEQX can correct timing errors like that even with the passive crossovers remaining in place

Mike

Edited by almikel
added ArthurS

I measure my tall wide speakers (2m x .75m) at 3m. ie. about 1.5 times the largest dimension. It just seems right in an effort to get some sound from the top, bottom and sides of the speakers.  Whether it makes any difference or not I don't know.  I seem to recall Alan saying that it doesn't matter much.  The current manual says something along the lines of, measure further away with large speakers.  One day I will do an almikel and measure outside, off the ground for the best pseudo-anechoic measurement.  The logistics of such an exercise though is a bit impenetrable.

Currently I have passive XO speakers and they are amplitude and time corrected as well as anything.  Active enables you to do your own XOs, but if that is done sufficiently well by the manufacturer with their passive ones then nothing gained nor lost, IMO.  I have never been able to detect the presence of any XO and its anomalies either by ear or by graph, but that's just me.  Even though I once did active bi-amping, I am happy being passive.

Room reflections in the low frequencies (modes and SBIR) , integrating the sub(s) with mains, and room positioning in general is the most difficult aspect to get right.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, aechmea said:

I measure my tall wide speakers (2m x .75m) at 3m. ie. about 1.5 times the largest dimension. It just seems right in an effort to get some sound from the top, bottom and sides of the speakers.  Whether it makes any difference or not I don't know.  I seem to recall Alan saying that it doesn't matter much.  The current manual says something along the lines of, measure further away with large speakers.  One day I will do an almikel and measure outside, off the ground for the best pseudo-anechoic measurement.  The logistics of such an exercise though is a bit impenetrable.

A bit risky measuring magneplanar 20.7 outside. A little gust of wind could break the tweeter ribbon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aab said:

A bit risky measuring magneplanar 20.7 outside. A little gust of wind could break the tweeter ribbon.

Yes indeed ....  I would have to pick the time very carefully to avoid weather, wildlife and freeway and aircraft noise.  All too hard really which is why it's still just a thought bubble.

Guest Karl Rand
16 hours ago, aab said:

In another place and time far, far away a friend at his 30th birthday party dragged his Magnaplaners out onto the back deck to entertain his family etc who were all hovering around the pool. A gust of wind soon put and end to one speaker. At the time none of us thought it was the wind responsible but it was. 

However, the same thing can happen indoors if you place a large fan fairly high up and close to the delicate beasts.

On 5/28/2017 at 8:35 AM, Karl Rand said:

In another place and time far, far away a friend at his 30th birthday party dragged his Magnaplaners out onto the back deck to entertain his family etc who were all hovering around the pool. A gust of wind soon put and end to one speaker. At the time none of us thought it was the wind responsible but it was. 

However, the same thing can happen indoors if you place a large fan fairly high up and close to the delicate beasts.

sounds like Maggies are even less "party proof" than ESL 57's - you don't even have the excuse of playing them too loud - the breeze broke them...

I'm sure they sound good but jeez - my old man made jokes about the wheels/tyres on my pushbike not handling cigarette papers on the road - the simile to Maggies seems appropriate.

Mike