Finally some decent weather for Class A amps

It's great for my Luxman amp too, although it sounds sublime any day of the year.

I had no idea it ever got cold in Brisbane though :)

Nothing like sitting in your underwear in the listening room because the temperature has reached 29C, primarily because your wife has closed the door due to "noise".  

The Air-conditioner and fresh air remain on the wrong side of the listening room door

Yes last summer was a shocker in Melbourne for class A amps

I know that class a amps run hot but didn't know they would heat the whole room up  :blink:

Does depend on the room size but yes can heat up the room. If I push the FPB to my normal levels I can only just put my hand on it without pulling away because its too hot. And it's a big surface area. It's no different to one of those old style oil filled radiators turned up to full speed.

Guest yamaha_man

In summer i took the top off my Krell FPB-600 on the 40+ degree days.

Edited by yamaha_man

I recently bought the Weston SET mono blocs that Canton was selling.

Apart from sounding great, they work well as room heaters.

Come summer I'm going to melt, but hey, no pain, no gain.

• Like 1

Using a Pair of Audio Research Ref 250's to heat up our backroom this Morning. Worked a Charm!

Drool... I may have to have a look at these someday. I wonder how many trees the owner will have to plant everyday to keep their carbon footprint neutral?

• 1 month later...

Is it my imagination, or do my class A amps need about 30 - 45 minutes to warm up? They seem to be very constrained in the upper mids when I first turn them on, especially in the last couple of weeks of colder weather in Melbourne. And at 10w they are not really warming up the room either! 

Is it my imagination, or do my class A amps need about 30 - 45 minutes to warm up? They seem to be very constrained in the upper mids when I first turn them on, especially in the last couple of weeks of colder weather in Melbourne. And at 10w they are not really warming up the room either! 

Absolutely.

My Luxman takes a good 10 mins minimum to really begin to sound great. I usually turn it on well before I intend to do any listening and after about 30 mins it is really ready to boogie :)

Depends on the amp. In very general terms, amplifiers which don't use much (or any) global NFB will take some time to reach equilibrium. At that point the amp should sound it's best.

• Like 2

There was a point made in another thread relating to the esr (effective series resistance) of typical aluminium electrolytic capacitors. Below 20 degrees C, the esr is typically 5 times higher than it is at 60 degrees, so when warmed up, your amplifier's power supply impedance will be considerably lower across the audio range. This may result in an improved subjective performance, ranging anywhere from slight to (possibly) dramatic, depending on the design of the amplifier.   

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Like 3

I remember years ago a pair of Musical Fidelity class A mono blocs (cannot recall the model) that you could hear improving as they warmed up. The sound started all crystalline, cold and distant and developed into warm and organic and engaging over the course of an hour or so.

• Like 2

I remember years ago a pair of Musical Fidelity class A mono blocs (cannot recall the model) that you could hear improving as they warmed up. The sound started all crystalline, cold and distant and developed into warm and organic and engaging over the course of an hour or so.

yes my ams35p makes clicks and pings within the first 30mins and I can hear the soundstage open with every ping/click through the heat sink noise, I was worried at first with a 10k amp doing such, messaged MF and they said this is the norm,     AMS35P is the best class A going atm, Yamaha man should give one a run with his TADS!       there the best in the world bearded man!

yes my ams35p makes clicks and pings within the first 30mins and I can hear the soundstage open with every ping/click through the heat sink noise, I was worried at first with a 10k amp doing such, messaged MF and they said this is the norm,     AMS35P is the best class A going atm, Yamaha man should give one a run with his TADS!       there the best in the world bearded man!

forgot to mention, the ams35p is a tested pure 36watts@8ohm and 68@4

My hottest is my 300B SE with TJ Full music carbon plates. With a HT of 435V and 90mA a tube there is plenty of heat. Even 600mm back there is good warmth. Fortunately for summer I have a big powerful refrigerative air con which runs dead silent in my main listening room.

• Like 1

Funky Sardine

You just cost me money!

Some months ago over dinner we argued over a poorly constructed sentence used by 1 of the family .They said there had to be a name for t

We searched

Or rather I the pedant searched

The librarian scoffed

The student rolled his eyes

Called in buddyev a pro editor who opted for "shitte English" and told me very rudely to stop wasting his time or he'd bill me for the exercise.

A pleonasm it was.

Edited by djb

Funky Sardine

You just cost me money!

Some months ago over dinner we argued over a poorly constructed sentence used by 1 of the family .They said there had to be a name for t

We searched

Or rather I the pedant searched

The librarian scoffed

The student rolled his eyes

Called in buddyev a pro editor who opted for "shitte English" and told me very rudely to stop wasting his time or he'd bill me for the exercise.

A pleonasm it was.

I told you that it was a species of a Tautology but you disagreed and ignored me:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleonasm

Edited by Telecine