Canberra GTG #2.5

Hi All, After attending and enjoying the GTG at Bronal's I have been inspired (encouraged?) to have a GTG at my place on Sunday 1 June at 2:30 - 6:00.

I have already had a positive response from Bronal, Decky and Warnesy1 but I would be pleased to extend an invitation to any other SNA members out there who would like to attend.

I have posted info on my system in the member introduction section. I would be keen to hear what others think - you should bring your favourite music - but sorry I don't have a TT!

Let me know if you are interested and I will PM the details.

Bronal, you will have to arrive early to have a drive of the RX8....

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All, After attending and enjoying the GTG at Bronal's I have been inspired (encouraged?) to have a GTG at my place on Sunday 1 June at 2:30 - 6:00.

I have already had a positive response from Bronal, Decky and Warnesy1 but I would be pleased to extend an invitation to any other SNA members out there who would like to attend.

I have posted info on my system in the member introduction section. I would be keen to hear what others think - you should bring your favourite music - but sorry I don't have a TT!

Let me know if you are interested and I will PM the details.

Bronal, you will have to arrive early to have a drive of the RX8....

Hi - thought it would be worthwhile to refresh this post.

As mentioned above I am having a GTG Sunday 1 June 2:30-6:00. At this stage I have had acceptances from Bronal, Decky and Warnsey1. However, if there are any other Canberra (or surrounds) SNA members interested they would be more than welcome.

I have outlined my system at the following post:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=6902

Hi Higgy, I hope there's room for two more.

The Derro from Northo and The Bugger from Bathurst would like to tarnish your premises with their collective presence if that's OK.

Look out Canberra, terry j and Aslan are a'comin' :D:D:D

Aslan, No problems - glad you are coming - you can help keep Terry in check!:D

Aaaah Higgy, you obviously haven't met me.............it will more than likely be the other way around.

We will bring RED..............you've been warned. :)

Warnsey, not a bad idea - but don't forget that I live almost as far as Hall.

Aslan, don't worry about the red - I have a good selection........I am sure there is a bottle or two in my cellar that needs to be drunk.

Warnsey, not a bad idea - but don't forget that I live almost as far as Hall.

Aslan, don't worry about the red - I have a good selection........I am sure there is a bottle or two in my cellar that needs to be drunk.

Mr Jones and myself will be only too happy to assist you in divesting yourself of any vintages that may be close to their use by date...............:)

after which we will probably find a Motel room close by for the night :D

Aslan, yes, I was a little concerned that you may be traveling back Sunday night - a red fueled trip is often a fast one......particularly when your in the ambulance.

You are both welcome to stay here Sunday night - I have a spare room and the study has a bed.

Also I suggest you get here around lunchtime and I will organise a light lunch - this will give Terry some time to play with the equipment........

Aslan, yes, I was a little concerned that you may be traveling back Sunday night - a red fueled trip is often a fast one......particularly when your in the ambulance.

You are both welcome to stay here Sunday night - I have a spare room and the study has a bed.

Also I suggest you get here around lunchtime and I will organise a light lunch - this will give Terry some time to play with the equipment........

Sounds like a plan. I'm staying at Bathurst Saturday night and we will look at hitting the road between 0900-0930.

Well, may I be the first to comment on another successful Canberra GTG. A big thank you to David and his lovely wife for letting us come and crash his place for quite a few hours............come to think of it... Terry is still there.

David's system is lovely and those legends are a fantastic speaker, both in looks and sound. As for the DEQX, it is an amazing little product. There was a slight hump in David's bass and Terry had a 'fiddle' and it sounded fantastic. It is a funny thing about GTG's. To be honest we didn't really do to much 'critical' listening of the system. It was nice just to sit around and chat about various things.... and drink quite a few nice Reds in the process.

Now there was one moment in the night when I was slightly worried. Terry put on the Blue Man Group and all of a sudden the bass was gone. Terry and I did fear for the worst, however David (much less worried than ourselves) did manage to find the problem and it was rectified quickly.

It was lovely to meet a few new faces and see some familiar ones once more. I'll be looking forward to the next Canberra GTG.

My Apologies for not being able to get there fella's, It sounds like you had a great and sociable time.

Let me guess...........Mr Jones cranked BMG right up (the only level he knows) and a safety feature tripped :rolleyes:

Oh, did he play track 2 of Dadawa's "Sister Drum"?

That'd be about right. Yes he played Sister Drum, It made my better half jump a mile when that big drum kicked in. Hope the old mans ok. It looks like there might be a road trip up to Terry's for a wkend in the coming future (that is I invited myself).

That'd be about right. Yes he played Sister Drum, It made my better half jump a mile when that big drum kicked in. Hope the old mans ok. It looks like there might be a road trip up to Terry's for a wkend in the coming future (that is I invited myself).

And given your coming plans Craig, I would highly recommend it.

You WONT be disappointed.

The old man is making positive progress - thanks for the thoughts.

thanks to david for the gtg, and thanks to all who made it. once again, it's great to put faces to the user names!

no hitch in the trip there or back, and the only hitch on the night was the sudden absence of bass at one point.

Again there is much to enjoy about the big reds, I found them to have a very nice and stable image, with a lovely depth to the soundstage as well. I personally thought that (for the LP) the speakers may have been a tad too wide (but livability with the speakers in the room dictated a great deal the possible positions for them), but as I just said the image and soundstage didn't seem to suffer from that at all.

Very few have the luxury of a listening room with the dimensions of mine, and as a result Davids did not have a lot of space to the side walls (tho they were nicely off the back wall)..I only mention that because if David ever gets the urge to experiment, it would be interesting to try first reflection absorbers on the side walls. they may have to be movable ones tho, as the right hand side wall is in fact a window blind! Anyway, according to theory handling the first reflection points may increase the width of the soundstage, or it may not. It's only an 'intellectual' observation tho, it's not as if you listened and said it was deficient in any way.

After some of the recent diversions that have occupied our attention on SNA recently, it was great to go to another GTg. It just reinforced the true strength of this forum (that no other forum I'm aware of has) and that is it's gtgs.

long may they continue.

ps david, realised on the way home I still owe you $20!!

.Mr Jones cranked BMG right up (the only level he knows) and a safety feature tripped :)

Oh, did he play track 2 of Dadawa's "Sister Drum"?

Hmmm, hope you're not implying anything there Mr Ward? I'll have you know I didn't play it at anything outrageous you know, normal Bathurst listening levels only!

Ahhh, it's very rewarding when a little plan actually comes off isn't it? So to see a lovely little lady JUMP when a drum kicks in is, ...delicious? couldn't stop myself crying out 'Got Ya!!'

Hi guys,

I'm a very new member to StereoNet, having found my way over from the darkside at Mobile Electronics Australia (thank you marc!)

as a newbie to canberra as well, I'd be very interested if there are

any other G2G's organised for the future! Not too sure how often I'll be checking in here, so if there's one being organised I'd be very keen for someone to shoot me a PM and let me know. Sounds like you all had a great time. :D

Thanks in advance guys, and I will try and make my presence a little more regular here.

Matt

Hey! I competely missed this thread. Sounds like a good time was had last week.

A couple of questions;

1) What stopped the bass and how did you fix it?

2) why wasn't Andrew there?

3)What is the CD with drums that had people jumping?

Grumps, my Dad was back in Hospital. He's out now but will probably have to go back in next week.

The CD is "Sister Drum" by Dadawa.....................Tibetten/Chinese World Music.

The boys will have to answer Q1.