Jazz: Currently Spinning

R-5974256-1407888747-7832.jpeg.jpg

From 1983 on the Hot Records label. Some friends & I used to go & watch these guys nearly every Tuesday night at Jenny's Wine Bar in George St. There was always at least a dozen in the bar watching these young lions hone their chops.

Dale Barlow - tenor, Chris Abrahams - piano, Lloyd Swanton - bass, Andrew Gander - drums.

The sublimely gifted baritone player, Daniel Fine, was the engineer on the project. If anyone remembers the Keys Music Association, they will know Danny Fine

https://www.discogs.com/Benders-E/release/5974256

• Like 5

Just in from a discogs seller in Norway. Good prices and cheap postage. Spinning the top title, Full Blast and Friends "Sketches and Ballads" by percussionist Michael Wertmuller, a very good live recording of a world class line up. Side two is stunning, musically and sonically. Composed/improvised flawlessly.06ecc267e07dd5cd0abcd07b5650a057.jpg

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On ?25?/?04?/?2017 at 9:21 AM, mikey d said:

One of my favourite Coltrane albums. On vinyl. (Continuing a bit of a 'Trane theme that's going on in this thread).

Coltrane_Impulse_cover.jpg

Nice...

Edited by BLAH BLAH
  • Like 2

Just Played Time Out, Brubeck's big one.

Anyway, I was sitting there looking at the cover and decided to go on Discords to see when the LP I had was released. 1959 in Australia. Its second hand in very good condition and I bought it for 2 Bucks back in the 90's. :thumb:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

F.Y.I. Alice Coltane goodies on vinyl available here. :)

http://mailchi.mp/superiorviaduct/on-the-turntable-alice-coltrane-20170501?e=21e4a70059

And they are good pressings too. Every jazz fan needs some Alice Coltrane in their life. :)

Her first five albums on  Impulse are incredible, only matched imo by her last album.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dave O))) said:

Martin, your email address is published at the bottom of that page. Just thought you should know.

Cheers Dave. I've cleaned mine up but unfortunately I can't touch yours or soundfan's.

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble

4 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Cheers Dave. I've cleaned mine up but unfortunately I can't touch yours or soundfan's.

Not sure what you mean Martin?

Does my email address show anywhere that I may not be aware of?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soundfan said:

Not sure what you mean Martin?

Does my email address show anywhere that I may not be aware of?

Not at all,soundfan. My email's on the bottom of the link page that you quoted. Of course if this discussion is frequented by French lingerie models, I don't mind. :party

• Like 3

51tiLetwahL.jpg

Hemphill, Lake, Murray & Bluiett interpreting  some of the 20th century's most enduring & endearing compositions. Doesn't get much better. On vinyl from 1986 on the Nonsuch label

Edited by mikey d
  • Like 2

Guest Misterioso

From the World Saxophone Quartet to the Clarinet Summit: Batiste/Hamilton/Carter & Murray (again)

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 10.07.35 PM.png

Edited by Misterioso

Horace Tapscott: The Dark Tree

Really liking this one. Carter is scintillating on clarinet on the 20 minute opening track too. Not a bad rhythm section eh? :)

Horace Tapscott: piano

John Carter: clarinet

Cecil McBee: bass

Andrew Cyrille: drums

IMG_0085.JPG

• Like 4

On the train to Sydney podcasting The Necks, improvising with the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra, preceded by an excellent interview with Chris and Lloyd. My eldest son is graduating in BSc at UTS tonight [emoji4]

http://www.abc.net.au/classic/content/2017/05/02/4662103.htm

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Guest Misterioso
45 minutes ago, soundfan said:

Horace Tapscott: The Dark Tree

Really liking this one. Carter is scintillating on clarinet on the 20 minute opening track too. Not a bad rhythm section eh? :)

Horace Tapscott: piano

John Carter: clarinet

Cecil McBee: bass

Andrew Cyrille: drums

IMG_0085.JPG

Good to see someone else enjoying Tapscott and Carter. I no longer feel like a lone voice in the wilderness :-)

59 minutes ago, Misterioso said:

Good to see someone else enjoying Tapscott and Carter. I no longer feel like a lone voice in the wilderness :-)

I think that when it comes to jazz ( and free/improvised rocks my boat these days ) we share very similar tastes. In other jazz, Monk seems to float your boat, where Miles Davis does it more for me. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave O))) said:

On the train to Sydney podcasting The Necks, improvising with the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra, preceded by an excellent interview with Chris and Lloyd. My eldest son is graduating in BSc at UTS tonight emoji4.png

Congratulations to you (support) & your son. Great to see young people still choosing to do science. Inculcate him into into jazzworld!

• Like 3