Jazz: Currently Spinning

Sun Ra

Finally found a double cd I bought from a wine and refurbished Dieter Rams era Braun hifi gear shop (now that's a tasty combo!) that we stumbled upon in Amsterdam a few years back

http://www.elzinga-wijnen.nl/
giving it a spin now

you can see his “bootleg” cd’s in this pic!

https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2014/04/25/wijn-en-muziek-gaan-prima-samen-1372077-a574419

Sun Ra Arkestra: Bim Huis 1985

interesting bootleg

Recorded at the Bim Huis Thursday 7 Nov 1985  on a Nakamichi cassette deck BX-100 on two cassettes
copied to Nagra DII A/D convertor and burnt to cd
Sun Ra, John Gilmore, Marshall Allen, Danny Thompson, Elo Emoe, James Jackson, Marvin Vines, George Dickerson, Fred Adams, Darrall Marsh, Tyron Hill, John Ore, Rollo Redford and Anthony Morris
1 mic AKG long shotgun condenser mic, thus in mono

regards Ian

• Like 3

This outstanding 2012 release was recently reissued after being out of print.

Not your normal piano bass and drum trio outing by any stretch, but hard to describe.

2 tracks, and I loved every note of it. 

And as the review linked below states; if you think you know what a piano trio sounds like, think again.

Hear it on bandcamp here:

https://darktree.bandcamp.com/album/en-corps

Buy a physical copy here: 

http://www.darktree-records.com/en

Review here:

http://www.freejazzblog.org/2012/09/eve-risser-en-corps-dark-tree-2012.html

20170404_181306.jpg

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Ian McP said:

Sun Ra

Finally found a double cd I bought from a wine and refurbished Dieter Rams era Braun hifi gear shop (now that's a tasty combo!) that we stumbled upon in Amsterdam a few years back

http://www.elzinga-wijnen.nl/
giving it a spin now

you can see his “bootleg” cd’s in this pic!

https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2014/04/25/wijn-en-muziek-gaan-prima-samen-1372077-a574419

Sun Ra Arkestra: Bim Huis 1985

interesting bootleg

Recorded at the Bim Huis Thursday 7 Nov 1985  on a Nakamichi cassette deck BX-100 on two cassettes
copied to Nagra DII A/D convertor and burnt to cd
Sun Ra, John Gilmore, Marshall Allen, Danny Thompson, Elo Emoe, James Jackson, Marvin Vines, George Dickerson, Fred Adams, Darrall Marsh, Tyron Hill, John Ore, Rollo Redford and Anthony Morris
1 mic AKG long shotgun condenser mic, thus in mono

regards Ian

Nice. Live jazz is where its at.

• Like 1

Keith Jarrett-Facing You  finally picked up a copy on vinyl, never heard this before. it's a beauty !

Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers With Thelonious Monk ... Analog Spark reissue Kevin Grey cut, Nice .

• Like 3

It's a while since I posted but have been lurking around. Just back from a week in Botswana, a short detour to Vic Falls and then a week in Cape Town. Got to hear some local music along the way and also did some record shopping in Cape Town. Didn't buy any lps at Mabu Vinyl just grabbed a tshirt but it's a must do if in Cape Town. I did however grab 6 lps from local artists including this reissue from Roastin' Records in Cape Town. I'm sure it's well known to the Jazz brotherhood but totally new to me. My education continues. Anyway I'm loving it. The other 5 lps I grabbed are current releases.
Mankunku- Yakhal' Inkomo
32fd655f1ac137b5352d938b339199a9.jpg

• Like 5

[mention=120735]Viognier[/mention]
Just arrived. The cd came last week.
Did anyone else sign on for the crowd funding of this last year? I think they've only done 30 lp's58c884cf71153_Jazzlp.thumb.jpg.6f1ed24d5ab41aa7095480da557d5379.jpg

Finally got to listen to my copy tonight. Really enjoyed it though the vinyl looks like a piece of grit must have gone in the paper sleeve and its pretty scratched. Fortunately it's not as noisy as it looks.
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Viognier said:

Finally got to listen to my copy tonight. Really enjoyed it though the vinyl looks like a piece of grit must have gone in the paper sleeve and its pretty scratched. Fortunately it's not as noisy as it looks.

It's a stupid idea isn't it to put this long awaited release in a paper sleeve. I tore off a letter to the pianist about it and he was all ears and hoped he could do something about it in the future.

• Like 3

Australian jazz/electronic band Tangents - Stateless

Thanks to t_mike for grabbing this for me after seeing them perform at Womadelaide.

A review by Richard Sherburne of Pitchfork.

In a recent radio interview, Ollie Bown, the resident electronic musician of Australian improvisers Tangents, said that the band has been trying to learn to leave more space in the music. Each of the quintet’s members—on guitar, drums, cello, keyboards and mallets, and electronics, respectively—is capable of kicking up quite a racket, and in their music, listening to each other is paramount. Judging from Stateless, their ears are as finely tuned as their chops. It’s a lovely album—porous, dynamic, lively, shot through with silence and bathed in warm light. It’s sometimes cluttered, but never distractingly so; like a cozy apartment strewn with curious objects, it’s just busy enough to keep you stimulated, your attention thrown pleasantly off balance.

Stateless marks a shift in the band’s method: while the group’s debut, I, was recorded live in the studio, the new album is the product of jams that were chopped up, remixed, and extensively processed on computers. As a result, it’s a hybrid beast, with one foot in the improv world and the other in electronic music, and it strikes the perfect balance between group interaction and digital production, and between groove and texture, repetition and abstraction.

Evan Dorrian’s drums drive the group’s sound. He likes the sound of sticks on rims, tapped cymbals, and other small, scratchy gestures, which he arranges into bursts and clusters and pin-prick constellations. Sometimes his playing is multi-tracked or run through effects, but rarely in a way that calls attention to itself. Guitarist Shoeb Ahmad alternates between reverberant background washes and potent droplets of tone, and cellist Peter Hollo frequently treats his instrument more like an upright bass, plucking instead of bowing.

Adrian Lim-Klumpes, a member of Triosk, rotates between piano, Rhodes, vibraphone, and marimba, and he often supplies the music’s tonal center. His watery vibes gives “Jindabyne” a hint of Tortoise, and his limpid piano chords run like a cool stream through the tangled brambles of “Masist Cau”; toward the end of “N-Mission,” a bass-driven tune recalling Four Tet, Lim-Klumpes unfurls a rolling, surging solo reminiscent of the introduction to Prince’s “Condition of the Heart.”

With the exception of “Directrix,” a brief free-improv freakout that lurches like a rock tumbler stuffed with steel wool and metal shards, Tangents develop their pieces patiently and almost imperceptibly. The way the hardscrabble “Masist Cau” builds, you keep expecting it to kick into overdrive—but at the same time, lulled into a state of deferred expectation, you forget you’re waiting for anything at all. It’s a curious feeling. “Along the Forest Floor” forgoes percussion, tossed like lazy ocean swells by cello and reversed vibraphone; it’s the rare track on Stateless where a lyric impulse comes to the fore. But even when there’s no melody to speak of, Tangents can be plenty expressive: “Oberon,” swirling like the inside of a snow globe, evokes a sense of peace that’s the opposite of its wild kinetic energy.

Tangents are obvious disciples of the Necks, another improvising group from Australia: Like the latter band, they emphasize tone and texture above melody, privileging small, incidental sounds over big declarative ones, and they favor hypnotic patterns that pulse and twitch like perpetual-motion machines. And while nothing on Stateless has the sustained mood of Necks’ hour-long pieces, Tangents’ keen sense of focus leaves no doubt that they’re in it for the long haul; “Jindabyne” cycles patiently for seven minutes and could easily run longer; the flickering “Oberon,” 13 minutes long, has even more potential to just keep going forever, powered by the energy stored in its quick, snapping rhythms, its path greased by cellist Hollo’s fluid, energetic lines. Tangents’ impulses tug them toward the margins, even as their combined force pushes them ever onward. It makes following in their wake the most captivating kind of journey.

download (12).jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Australian jazz/electronic band Tangents - Stateless

Thanks to t_mike for grabbing this for me after seeing them perform at Womadelaide.

A review by Richard Sherburne of Pitchfork.

In a recent radio interview, Ollie Bown, the resident electronic musician of Australian improvisers Tangents, said that the band has been trying to learn to leave more space in the music. Each of the quintet’s members—on guitar, drums, cello, keyboards and mallets, and electronics, respectively—is capable of kicking up quite a racket, and in their music, listening to each other is paramount. Judging from Stateless, their ears are as finely tuned as their chops. It’s a lovely album—porous, dynamic, lively, shot through with silence and bathed in warm light. It’s sometimes cluttered, but never distractingly so; like a cozy apartment strewn with curious objects, it’s just busy enough to keep you stimulated, your attention thrown pleasantly off balance.

Stateless marks a shift in the band’s method: while the group’s debut, I, was recorded live in the studio, the new album is the product of jams that were chopped up, remixed, and extensively processed on computers. As a result, it’s a hybrid beast, with one foot in the improv world and the other in electronic music, and it strikes the perfect balance between group interaction and digital production, and between groove and texture, repetition and abstraction.

Evan Dorrian’s drums drive the group’s sound. He likes the sound of sticks on rims, tapped cymbals, and other small, scratchy gestures, which he arranges into bursts and clusters and pin-prick constellations. Sometimes his playing is multi-tracked or run through effects, but rarely in a way that calls attention to itself. Guitarist Shoeb Ahmad alternates between reverberant background washes and potent droplets of tone, and cellist Peter Hollo frequently treats his instrument more like an upright bass, plucking instead of bowing.

Adrian Lim-Klumpes, a member of Triosk, rotates between piano, Rhodes, vibraphone, and marimba, and he often supplies the music’s tonal center. His watery vibes gives “Jindabyne” a hint of Tortoise, and his limpid piano chords run like a cool stream through the tangled brambles of “Masist Cau”; toward the end of “N-Mission,” a bass-driven tune recalling Four Tet, Lim-Klumpes unfurls a rolling, surging solo reminiscent of the introduction to Prince’s “Condition of the Heart.”

With the exception of “Directrix,” a brief free-improv freakout that lurches like a rock tumbler stuffed with steel wool and metal shards, Tangents develop their pieces patiently and almost imperceptibly. The way the hardscrabble “Masist Cau” builds, you keep expecting it to kick into overdrive—but at the same time, lulled into a state of deferred expectation, you forget you’re waiting for anything at all. It’s a curious feeling. “Along the Forest Floor” forgoes percussion, tossed like lazy ocean swells by cello and reversed vibraphone; it’s the rare track on Stateless where a lyric impulse comes to the fore. But even when there’s no melody to speak of, Tangents can be plenty expressive: “Oberon,” swirling like the inside of a snow globe, evokes a sense of peace that’s the opposite of its wild kinetic energy.

Tangents are obvious disciples of the Necks, another improvising group from Australia: Like the latter band, they emphasize tone and texture above melody, privileging small, incidental sounds over big declarative ones, and they favor hypnotic patterns that pulse and twitch like perpetual-motion machines. And while nothing on Stateless has the sustained mood of Necks’ hour-long pieces, Tangents’ keen sense of focus leaves no doubt that they’re in it for the long haul; “Jindabyne” cycles patiently for seven minutes and could easily run longer; the flickering “Oberon,” 13 minutes long, has even more potential to just keep going forever, powered by the energy stored in its quick, snapping rhythms, its path greased by cellist Hollo’s fluid, energetic lines. Tangents’ impulses tug them toward the margins, even as their combined force pushes them ever onward. It makes following in their wake the most captivating kind of journey.

download (12).jpg

Will download this of Bandcamp. Sounds like my kinda shizz. Thanks Marty :)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dave O))) said:

x2 worth a listen guys.

https://tangents.bandcamp.com/album/stateless

I see there is a vinyl edition listed on discogs but dunno where else it can be bought.

Thanks Martin.

Dave, I just purchased a vinyl copy on Amazon......might have grabbed the last one though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F2QM086/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But a few vinyl copies still available on Amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/CDs-Vinyl/Stateless-VINYL-Tangents/B01F2QM086/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1491476259&sr=1-5&keywords=Stateless

I had a quick listen to the first 2 tracks before I went looking for a copy to buy, and loved what I heard. Sounded very "Tortoise" like.

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, soundfan said:

Thanks Martin.

Dave, I just purchased a vinyl copy on Amazon......might have grabbed the last one though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F2QM086/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But a few vinyl copies still available on Amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/CDs-Vinyl/Stateless-VINYL-Tangents/B01F2QM086/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1491476259&sr=1-5&keywords=Stateless

Thanks Chris, just snaffled a copy.

• Like 3