The Pro-ject Audio Owners appreciation thread.

Any ideas on a budget?

Again, nothing really specific just a general curiosity. Typing Pro-ject TT upgrades into google yields not a great deal but change it to Rega and bam!!

Yes - speedbox - belt/suspension upgrade - mat - platter etc

So are these mods actually Project specific? Sorry if I keep sending this convo around in circles. Just thought if anybody would know it would be someone around these parts. From what I understand, Speedboxes are rather difficult to come by these days.

• 4 weeks later...

For all the Pro-ject fans out there, straight from CES 2014, revamp/upgrade to many models coming this year, including a $199 entry level model.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/pro-ject-announces-major-line-re-vamp-upgrade-2014-international-ces

Pro-Ject announced at CES 2014 a major line upgrade. We have a GoPro video covering all of it but because of pathetic internet speed we are unable to post at this time. It might have to wait until after CES.

For now, here are the details: The $199 Elemental is now in full production. This is an "out of the box" ready to play 'table complete with Ortofon OM-5 cartridge. The intent is to kill the grew chewing Crosely junk by convincing budget buyers that spending $60 on a turntable and $30 on a 180g version of Dark Side of the Moon is DUMB.

The $299 Essential 'table, which used to be fitted with a unipivot arm now comes with the arm originally used on the Debut. The problem was that dealers had trouble setting up a unipivot.

The RPM 1 is now the RPM 1 Carbon. The 'table's "S" shaped arm is now made of an aluminum/carbon fiber sandwich that is said to greatly improve damping while the carbon fiber increases stiffness. Pro-Ject CEO and founder Heinz Lichtenegger says the sandwich technique will find its way into other Pro-Ject tonearms.

Also new is the Expression Carbon's arm now has a more massive gimbal housing similar to Xtension line and features a decoupled counterweight and comes with an exclusive Ortofon Silver cartridge,which is an Ortofon Blue but wound with silver coils. The Expression features an aluminum platter similar to the one found on the bigger Xtension 'table, only somewhat less massive. The new Expression Carbon will sell for approximately $900.

The Xtension line has a new model as well: the Xtension9. This is similar to the Xtension10 currently under review. It is similar to 10 but somewhat downgraded in terms of bearing, platter size and electronic motor control system. it is pictured above and will cost $2300 including dust cover and five color choices.

Watch the video for more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmk0mQ4CJaE#t=561

i just spoke to Duncan from projectaudio.com.au and he says the new 6th generation Xpression Carbon and Xpression Carbon Classic will be available in australia around may/june. No information available on prices yet.

Some additional information

The Pro-Ject 1 was the original turntable designed by Heinz Lichtenegger, founder of Pro-Ject Audio, back in the early 1990s. Since then, the '1' has been made in many forms, most notably of which was the popular Xpression series. Now, in 2013, the latest incarnation has been released - the 1 Xpression Carbon.

The Xpression Carbon advances on from its forbears with some brand new features that have never been seen on any other Pro-Ject turntables before. From the stunning finish to the audiophile technical specification, every element of this turntable has been meticulously designed to offer the best performance for the money - just like the original Pro-Ject 1. 

The Xpression Carbon advances on other turntables thanks to its one-piece carbon fibre tonearm, which is mounted in a brand new heavy-weight assembly, inspired by the superior Evolution tonearms. This over-sized support effectively isolates the tonearm from the plinth, and takes any minor resonances in the tonearm and dissipates them immediately - allowing only the original music signal to be sent to your amplifier. Mounted on the tonearm is the new Ortofon 2M Silver, a special version of Ortofon's world famous 2M Red cartridge, finished with silver spools for optimal signal generation.

The Xpression Carbon benefits from a new AC motor design with DC power supply. It achieves this unique combination by incorporating an AC generator on the underside of the turntable - so the DC power supply signal is changed to a clean AC supply, which allows the 9V motor to perform at its optimal level. The motor is isolated from the main plinth - to avoid resonance transference - by two rubber gromits designed and manufactured by Ortofon's expert rubber division. The motor applies rotating force to a sub-platter, which drives the high-gloss main platter. The Xpression Carbon is supplied with both a felt and a cork mat, to tailor the sound perfectly for your ears, and your environment.

The Xpression Carbon is  available in three stunning high-gloss finishes; Black, Bordeaux and Midnight Blue.

picresized_1387294294_prod_large_21_10_2

Key Features:
  • Manual turntable
  • New DC power-supply
  • Low-noise synchronous AC motor
  • Motor isolation blobs designed by Ortofon
  • High-gloss platter
  • Carbon fibre tonearm
  • Evolution-inspired tonearm support
  • Available in three high-gloss finishes
  • Pre-fitted with an Ortofon 2M Silver
  • Gold-plated RCA phono sockets
  • Lid included

UK Ebay(ships to australia)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro-Ject-Project-1-Xpression-Carbon-Turntable-with-2M-Silver-Midnight-Blue-/231119028774?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item35cfc48226&_uhb=1

side note: Xpression III classics can now be had for ~$800!

Edited by custom_made

• 4 weeks later...

Fellow Pro-Ject owners I was hoping to get some guidance.

I have an RPM 5.1 and the tone arm lever is very loose to the point that it pops out. I have been unable to figure out how to tighten it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Fellow Pro-Ject owners I was hoping to get some guidance.

I have an RPM 5.1 and the tone arm lever is very loose to the point that it pops out. I have been unable to figure out how to tighten it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bugger where did you get it?

I got it here on SNA, therefore no warranty.

I'm sure I'm not the only person to have had this issue, at least I hope not.

WOOT WOOT! My 500th post wasn't very exciting...here's to the next 500!

Edited by dolphy

• 1 month later...

I got it here on SNA, therefore no warranty.

I'm sure I'm not the only person to have had this issue, at least I hope not.

WOOT WOOT! My 500th post wasn't very exciting...here's to the next 500!

Did you get it fixed mate?

This thread reminds me that I gotta get my Pro-ject turntable going again. I brought it back from the USA about 18 months ago (not sure what model now, but it has the clear acrylic plinth) and needs a different power supply and a different pulley to work in Oz. 

--Geoff

This thread reminds me that I gotta get my Pro-ject turntable going again. I brought it back from the USA about 18 months ago (not sure what model now, but it has the clear acrylic plinth) and needs a different power supply and a different pulley to work in Oz. 

--Geoff

Possibly a Project 6 Perspex? 

http://www.sydneyhificastlehill.com.au/turntables-(3)

Terrible player, hand it over and i'l get rid of for you. 

Replacement power supply packs can be brought easily. But the pulley issue.... why the need to replace?

• 3 weeks later...

Had an RPM5 for a number of years, but sold it due to financial constraints, but always planned to get the RPM6, which when I was ready they discontinued! Anyways, found a local near-new RPM10.1 a few months ago, so snapped it up. Haven't set it up for playback yet, as one of the tone arm wires is loose (as per the sale). I've ordered some new tone arm wires to replace - I'm guessing its as simple as pulling the wires through once I disconnect the other ends from the underneath of the TT? Ive been too lazy to lift it up and check! Probably gonna go the 2M Bronze or a similarly riced MC in the weeks ahead.

Anyway some pics...

untitled-10_zps93d17c76.jpg

untitled-9_zps593de719.jpg

untitled-1-4_zpsbe1785e7.jpg

untitled-3-4_zpsee4a268e.jpg

• Like 3

Looks great!!!. Best bet would be the case re the wires. Take her apart and secure the arm with some bread ties or similar, take the platter off and other non esesntial parts, flip her over and have a squiz and a play.

Regarding the Cart, depending on money, I would hunt around and try to find a black cart new or slightly used. Somewhere they were going cheap. Otherwise just settle for a blue cart especially if you play on going higher later.

Cheers Kyle

Just for those looking for Speedbox's, I got one from Decibel for $180 NEW plus post this past week and it works very well and has anybody taken off there Anti-Skate of there tonearm and have you noticed or not noticed a difference,does it make any?, I have an Rpm 5.1 and it seems to sound better without!.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Interested to find out some user feedback on the 1Xpression Carbon Classic? I have just sourced a new one for ~$800 delivered, and was wondering if there are any worthwhile upfront investments that would do it justice? Speedbox or tube box for example? My system is already probably on the analytical side, so I think the cables and Cartridge are things to look at. BTW, what is a new oem 2m silver worth in the market?

• 1 month later...

My Xtension 10 with Cadenza Bronze and Phono Box RS.  Running the optional 5 pole to XLR phono cable to the phono stage. Phono noise is non existent with this cable.

IMG_20170103_191717.jpg

IMG_20170103_191731.jpg

IMG_20170103_175128.jpg

Edited by Crazy Joe Davola
Edit one sentence
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Crazy Joe Davola said:

My Xtension 10 with Cadenza Bronze and Phono Box RS.  Running the optional 5 pole to XLR phono cable to the phono stage. Noise is non existent with this cable.

IMG_20170103_191717.jpg

IMG_20170103_191731.jpg

IMG_20170103_175128.jpg

I had an Xtension 10 and loved it. Maybe I'll get another one...

I had an Xtension 10 and loved it. Maybe I'll get another one...

Was a very good deck - excellent in terms of looks and most importantly sounded same.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Been lurking on this thread for sometime, and now that I've upgraded my Debut Carbon I'll throw up some pics. 

Feel a little inadequate after looking at the higher end tables of course, but I'm pretty happy with the Carbon so far.

IMAG0746.jpg

IMAG0747.jpg

• Like 1

Incidentally, I was at my local hifi dealers shop yesterday chatting, and we were talking about the new Pro-ject agreement that dealers have to abide by now with regard to what and how many tables they have to stock. So now he is carrying a couple of the mid level Pro-ject tables like the new Classic, 1Xpression Carbon Classic and the 2Xperience. The 1Xpression has a lovely dark timber plinth-I just love it!

Another interesting note was about what he'd been selling, as I pointed out the new Rega's he'd had in stock. Certainly not wanting to start a Rega V Pro-ject flame war (cos I'd own a RP3 in a heartbeat!), just interesting that he'd sold a bunch of Debut Carbon's with 2M reds since the new agreement came into place, and only the one Rega (RP1). Maybe its the marketing side of things that Pro-ject push a little harder, or maybe slightly better value entry level wise bundling the 2M red....?