Standmount Speaker Upgrade Help Please

Hi All

Have been a member for around 18 months and found this site to be a wealth of information and entertainment. As a result of SNA I purchased a pair of Usher S520 speakers for my lounge room set up and was stunned by their performance (thank you Mr Darko and twwen2). I run them through a Marantz KI Pearl Lite Amp and SACD combination, bought around the same time at $1200 each. (I know Cafad a bit warm but at the after reading the review in Aus HiFi felt it would be a good match for the SACD player and the price just seemed right). I run a Squeezebox and stream through the DAC on the Marantz. I have an Aaron sub from a no longer used 5.1 set up running as B speakers, (Cables are Bunnings) Although I had already promised SWMBO that this would end my quest for audio I now would like to upgrade the speakers.

I really am not yet in a position to change up the electronics (too many other "last purchases" yet to be offloaded) so am looking for a match to my current set up. My room is 4.5m x 3.5m with speakers on the long wall. My listening position puts me about 3m from the speakers which are on stands close to the wall. Looking at spending around 2k. Have really liked the Ushers and was looking at the new Dancer Mini X Diamond reviewed in Aus HiFi. Have recently seen KEF XQ 20 at a good price ($1399) amongst others. I listen to a wide variety of music ( love the Music Forum for expanding the horizons!!!!).

Being from Perth listening to speakers is limited. Would love to hear your thoughts on this,

Have posted in Speakers & Subwoofers as my be a better fit for my request.

Cheers

Edited by pwestcott

Hi All

Have been a member for around 18 months and found this site to be a wealth of information and entertainment. As a result of SNA I purchased a pair of Usher S520 speakers for my lounge room set up and was stunned by their performance (thank you Mr Darko and twwen2). I run them through a Marantz KI Pearl Lite Amp and SACD combination, bought around the same time at $1200 each. (I know Cafad a bit warm but at the after reading the review in Aus HiFi felt it would be a good match for the SACD player and the price just seemed right). I run a Squeezebox and stream through the DAC on the Marantz. I have an Aaron sub from a no longer used 5.1 set up running as B speakers, (Cables are Bunnings) Although I had already promised SWMBO that this would end my quest for audio I now would like to upgrade the speakers.

I really am not yet in a position to change up the electronics (too many other "last purchases" yet to be offloaded) so am looking for a match to my current set up. My room is 4.5m x 3.5m with speakers on the long wall. My listening position puts me about 3m from the speakers which are on stands close to the wall. Looking at spending around 2k. Have really liked the Ushers and was looking at the new Dancer Mini X Diamond reviewed in Aus HiFi. Have recently seen KEF XQ 20 at a good price ($1399) amongst others. I listen to a wide variety of music ( love the Music Forum for expanding the horizons!!!!).

Being from Perth listening to speakers is limited. Would love to hear your thoughts on this,

Was in General but thought this was a more appropriate forum. Sorry about the double post mods.

I had the usher be718 before and they sounded very good, west coast HiFi Morley had a pair not sure if they still do.

They also stock castle who do a nice range of stand mounts and floor standers.

Looking at Gumtree

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beechboro/audio/atc-scm11-speaker-same-dynaudio-b-w-proac-focal-bose-kef-pmc/1021432206

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cloverdale/audio/krix-lyrix-speakers/1026595312

Edited by cafe67

Thanks Cafe

I contacted Morley. They do stock Usher but have none in at the moment.

Was looking at front ported speakers due to needing to be close to the wall. Has anyone had experience with the Kef's?

Hi Pwestcott, there is a pair of Kef R300's in the classifieds. I would be auditioning these if your interested in th XQ20. IMO the R300'S are more complete through the frequencies.

cheers Frank.

HI 

I had a pair of BE718 and now have a pair of S520, they have a very similar sound signature, BE718 play louder with more bass and more detail but I find the balance of frequencies and slightly recessed mid range about the same. I had a pair of Kefs LS50 and found them much more forward in the midrange and imaged extremely  well

What is you rmotivation for moving up from the S520 is it the get what you have X 10 if so go the Be718 if you find the presentation lacking and crave a more forward sound  I'd recommend looking else were.

2K is a nice budget for standmounts I really like the PMC twenty 22 sound when I demoed them as an option, Focal, ATC dynaudio can all be found used around this price the choices will do your head in!