Classical currently spinning thread

Casal using an AT MONO3 And LP cart, first time I hear this with a mono cart, wow...it is like a different recording compare to what I heard before with a stereo cart...20170403_232938.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 5

This is not strictly classical, but just had a real walk down memory lane, when I discovered this 1958 recording online.

R-562511-1249927338.jpeg.jpg.198b7a89039c12ad466744f28f49db3d.jpg

Way back in 1957/8 my elder brother purchased a 'Stereogram', which was a valve unit (naturally) and was one of the first stereos to be released. It had separate (movable) speakers and a central unit with the amp and turntable. I was only 9 years of age and I can well remember the absolutely huge impact this recording had on me at the time. While my parents had quite a few recordings of the 'classics' as they were called and I had become an avid listener, it took the advent of stereo to really open my ears to what great music actually sounded like.

I played this record over and over again and again, until I had almost worn it out. The digital version I have linked to below, gives one no idea of the freshness of the sound back in the late 1950s. The big letdown is the lack of midrange, which I noticed immediately. Funny how one remembers a sound from so long ago, but the lack of midrange, is really glaring to me...the record is lacking the 'guts' that I remember it having.

I pestered my parents until they bought me the full version of some of the great works on this dics....Mozart's Piano Concerto no. 27....Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique, among others.

Listening to it now, it sounds ever so quaint and ever so English and 1950s.....

Edited by MusicOne
  • Like 2

Am constantly on the look out for vinyl LPs of Benjamin Britten.

As my collection has grown new previously unknown (to me) are rare finds.

Today 3 LPs from end of final dusty OP shop shelf I found a double LP- PETER PEARS BENJAMIN BRITTEN The early recordings EMI

2LP set $1

been nearly a year since my last (new to me) discovery, assume it will be mono 

edit yes mono 1942-1950

not sure if they left for USA IN 1942 or returned to U.K. then.

edit 2 returned to U.K. 42 left to USA 1939.

Edited by djb
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, djb said:

Am constantly on the look out for vinyl LPs of Benjamin Britten.

As my collection has grown new previously unknown (to me) are rare finds.

Today 3 LPs from end of final dusty OP shop shelf I found a double LP- PETER PEARS BENJAMIN BRITTEN The early recordings EMI

2LP set $1

been nearly a year since my last (new to me) discovery, assume it will be mono 

edit yes mono 1942-1950

not sure if they left for USA IN 1942 or returned to U.K. then.

edit 2 returned to U.K. 42 left to USA 1939.

Edited 1 hour ago by djb

I have this Julian Bream & Peter Pears at Wigmore Hall. not really my cup of tea anymore.

https://www.discogs.com/Julian-Bream-Peter-Pears-Julian-Bream-In-Concert/release/9362424 

Pears was ordinary singer and Britten wrote for his voice I collect the Britten not pears even then I know their are better composers of his vintage.

just a habitual search 

Just being blown away by this LP.    

Decca SXL6440 Ernest Block Schelomo / Voice in the Wilderness, Zubin Mehta, Israel Philharmonic  https://www.discogs.com/Bloch-Janos-Starker-Israel-Philharmonic-Orchestra-Zubin-Mehta-Schelomo-Voice-In-The-Wilderness/master/664224

Always loved cello music.  I found this to be very interesting music.  The sound from this Decca ffss English pressing, is perfect, quiet background, big deep dynamics, especially on Voice in the Wilderness.

• Like 1

@aussievintage I agree, hard to beat cello and just about anything. Cello and piano always sounds good. I have quite a few cello chamber music pieces and solo cello. Just one of those instruments which can really get to your soul. If your gear is up to it a deeply growling cello really hits the emointional mark. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2017 at 6:37 AM, mwhouston said:

@aussievintage I agree, hard to beat cello and just about anything. Cello and piano always sounds good. I have quite a few cello chamber music pieces and solo cello. Just one of those instruments which can really get to your soul. If your gear is up to it a deeply growling cello really hits the emointional mark. 

Couldn't agree more & Janos Starker's Bach Suites For Unaccompanied Cello are to die for. I actually don't have them yet (but I'm not dead yet).

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters

Just being blown away by this LP.    

Decca SXL6440 Ernest Block Schelomo / Voice in the Wilderness, Zubin Mehta, Israel Philharmonic  https://www.discogs.com/Bloch-Janos-Starker-Israel-Philharmonic-Orchestra-Zubin-Mehta-Schelomo-Voice-In-The-Wilderness/master/664224

Always loved cello music.  I found this to be very interesting music.  The sound from this Decca ffss English pressing, is perfect, quiet background, big deep dynamics, especially on Voice in the Wilderness.

I have the same pressing, Starker is brilliant!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more & Janos Starker's Bach Suites For Unaccompanied Cello are to die for. I actually don't have them yet (but I'm dead yet).

You better get them quick, his interpretation of the suites is great, you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Thomas Tallis - Choir Of King's College, Cambridge, Philip Ledger -The Lamentations Of Jeremiah / Mass: Puer Natus Est Nobis / Three Motets. World Record Club release EMI WI 5209 which has the greyed out cover & EMI badge top LHS. great SQ.

https://www.discogs.com/Thomas-Tallis-Choir-Of-Kings-College-Cambridge-Philip-Ledger-The-Lamentations-Of-Jeremiah-Mass-Puer-/release/5464315

• Like 1

I picked up a Mstislav Rostropovich a few weeks ago playing something or other, must have been classical, if it was JS Bach, would have cleaned & played it immediately. the point being I haven't heard that much of Rostropovich's Bach unaccompanied cello interpretations cf. Starker, to really be sure about preference, but none the less, I prefer Starker's  unwavering unsentimentality  over Rostropovich. 

I picked up a Mstislav Rostropovich a few weeks ago playing something or other, must have been classical, if it was JS Bach, would have cleaned & played it immediately. the point being I haven't heard that much of Rostropovich's Bach unaccompanied cello interpretations cf. Starker, to really be sure about preference, but none the less, I prefer Starker's  unwavering unsentimentality  over Rostropovich. 

No preference for me. I have around 30 version of the suites and they all have their own bit of soul to it, that's how special the bach suites are. Best piece (s) of music ever!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

No preference for me. I have around 30 version of the suites and they all have their own bit of soul to it, that's how special the bach suites are. Best piece (s) of music ever!

I would be curious to know which of the version you own could match up to the emotions in Yo Yo Ma's playing for the 9/11 Memorial. I know this was not Bach's original intention, but Ma made it an inspiring vehicle.

(Edit: I just want to know if anyone else plays it with so much emotion. I have read that Yo Yo Ma play the suite at his father's death bed, so it must have meant something very special to them)

Edited by LHC
  • Like 1

I would be curious to know which of the version you own could match up to the emotions in Yo Yo Ma's playing for the 9/11 Memorial. I know this was not Bach's original intention, but Ma made it an inspiring vehicle.

(Edit: I just want to know if anyone else plays it with so much emotion. I have read that Yo Yo Ma play the suite at his father's death bed, so it must have meant something very special to them)

I have two of Ma's recordings, rhe orginal and the inspired bt Bach version (also have the dvd too), again exactly my point mate. Every single interpretation has its own soul to it. Some is about emotion, some technical, story telling, ornamentation, female touch or emotions, contemporary, inspiration...etc you name it.

Btw, anyone interested in the suites, Petier Wispelwey will be playing the entire suites in June. I will be there after last time (over 10 years ago?) I was there and once again hearing how one can interpret this after years of personal development... hence many cellist has done more than one recording and still keep going...

• Like 1