Classical currently spinning thread

50 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Interesting but I must say guitar doesn't do me on the suites...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ABC Classics FM have been playing tracks from this disc on their shows. Stylistically speaking, I think it sounded fine. I think he captured the spirit of the suites. But you are right, it doesn't have the emotional involvement of a cello. 

ABC Classics FM have been playing tracks from this disc on their shows. Stylistically speaking, I think it sounded fine. I think he captured the spirit of the suites. But you are right, it doesn't have the emotional involvement of a cello. 

I agree, exactly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, LHC said:

11 hours ago, dwbasement said:

I agree, exactly.

In some ways I agree, but strangely, Slava's baritone guitar seems to lack a certain gravity.... or perhaps 'weight' is a better term. It might well be the ABC's recording that's at fault. ....the classical guitar is a very difficult instrument to record accurately.....full of overtones and subtle nuances. They can sound quite 'thin' on certain recordings.

Nonetheless, Slava Grigoryan is a truly great Aussie musician.

• Like 1

R-1298763-1256724026.jpeg.jpg

Just downloaded this from Presto Classical: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Sony/G0100032930670

It's a remastered version of Gould's 1981 CBS Masterworks recording, which I have on vinyl (though no TT these days). 

Putting aside Gould's singalong, this is a truly great performance.....and not a sustain pedal in sight (or sound). Exquisite musicianship, combined with an insightful interpretation. One of Presto's 25 greatest recordings of the 1980s. I can only agree. The Hi Res 44.1 kHz, 24 bit, doesn't sound as good as the original vinyl, but alas, these days, my system is not as resolving as the system I had back then, which centered around a pair of Quad 57 speakers.....perhaps the perfect speaker for this type of music.

Edited by MusicOne
  • Like 5

https://petersplanets.wordpress.com/

I enjoy in-depth writing about music, particularly if the personality of the writer comes through. " Peters Planets" is a fantastic series in which ' Peter' has had the impulse to listen to just about every recording of Gustav Holsts' " THE PLANETS" available.

That totals 70 plus and rising recordings which he surveys with a an ear for performance, production values, and verisimilitude. He writes with wit and insight .

I had a clutch of recordings from the upper middle of his ratings, Geoffrey Simon, Andre Previn, Bernstein, Maazel and Marriner, but decided to seek out the top recommendations, Charles Dutoit and The Montreal Symhony, and Seiji Ozawa with The Boston Symphony.

I got the SHM-cd of the DUTOIT, and an SACD of the Ozawa from CDJapan at rather modest prices.

They are both sensational.

Peters blog ( I believe he is an Aussie) is music writing at its best, informed, informative, and often very arch and hilarious.

Billy.

https://petersplanets.wordpress.com/

I enjoy in-depth writing about music, particularly if the personality of the writer comes through. " Peters Planets" is a fantastic series in which ' Peter' has had the impulse to listen to just about every recording of Gustav Holsts' " THE PLANETS" available.
That totals 70 plus and rising recordings which he surveys with a an ear for performance, production values, and verisimilitude. He writes with wit and insight .
I had a clutch of recordings from the upper middle of his ratings, Geoffrey Simon, Andre Previn, Bernstein, Maazel and Marriner, but decided to seek out the top recommendations, Charles Dutoit and The Montreal Symhony, and Seiji Ozawa with The Boston Symphony.
I got the SHM-cd of the DUTOIT, and an SACD of the Ozawa from CDJapan at rather modest prices.
They are both sensational.

Peters blog ( I believe he is an Aussie) is music writing at its best, informed, informative, and often very arch and hilarious.
Billy.

Thanks for the info will follow the blog with interest

• Like 1

Alice's latest album arrived today. I'm in love.

d323479ac2d41476c6f15d133f91bf97.jpg

Edit...grrr. the dreaded sideways lurgy has finally caught up with me.

Edited by Ugly
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/7/2017 at 5:02 PM, MusicOne said:

R-1298763-1256724026.jpeg.jpg

Just downloaded this from Presto Classical: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Sony/G0100032930670

It's a remastered version of Gould's 1981 CBS Masterworks recording, which I have on vinyl (though no TT these days). 

Putting aside Gould's singalong, this is a truly great performance.....and not a sustain pedal in sight (or sound). Exquisite musicianship, combined with an insightful interpretation. One of Presto's 25 greatest recordings of the 1980s. I can only agree. The Hi Res 44.1 kHz, 24 bit, doesn't sound as good as the original vinyl, but alas, these days, my system is not as resolving as the system I had back then, which centered around a pair of Quad 57 speakers.....perhaps the perfect speaker for this type of music.

If you want a hi-res audiophile recording of the Goldberg Variations, try downloading this gem from Bandcamp here.

Best of all: it's free. How much is this free recording, you ask? Nowt. 

I downloaded the FLAC files which are 24/96, dunno if the other lossless formats (WAV/ALAC) are also that hi-res.

a1886980162_16.jpg

You're welcome.

--Geoff

• Like 5

20 hours ago, hired goon said:

If you want a hi-res audiophile recording of the Goldberg Variations, try downloading this gem from Bandcamp here.

Best of all: it's free. How much is this free recording, you ask? Nowt. 

I downloaded the FLAC files which are 24/96, dunno if the other lossless formats (WAV/ALAC) are also that hi-res.

a1886980162_16.jpg

You're welcome.

--Geoff

As I'm writing this, I'm listening to her performance of Bach's WTC Book 1, Prelude No 1.....no, no, Kimiko, use the sustain pedal in this one prelude. By all means, eschew the use of the sustain pedal in all of the other preludes and fugues,, but for this one prelude, it's a must: http://music.kimiko-piano.com/track/prelude-no-1-in-c-major-bwv-846

Edited by MusicOne

Now here is a performance of the WTC Book 1 No 1 using the sustain pedal.....it just sounds right and I'm sure if J S Bach was to hear it, he would approve. Too much pedantry can lead to travesties.

This performer needs to fall in love a few times and then she might just be able to infuse her playing with a bit of soul, but, nonetheless, this is as it should be heard....but with more rubato and dynamics...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...