2x 500w Class-D Subwoofer Amps

gainphile

I have been very happy with my 8-channel TK2050 100w Class-D amplifiers. But recently I play a lot of electronic music and they soon find their limits at the LFE when trying to play at 'discotheque' level :)

I need an amp which can drive my four Dayton reference subwoofers cleanly to XMAX.

DSC_2576.jpg

Soon I have a shortlist. Ideally I want Hypex 400 but they're too pricey for the purpose. There are also many 300w ClassD boards but with fans. So in the end I have chosen this

2 Channel 250Watt Class D Audio Amplifier Board - IRS2092 250W

- No Fans

- 250watt at 8ohms, 500w at 4ohm per channel

- ± 65v rails, 90% eff. It can electrocute you with 110v at full pelt

- $35 shipped :thumb:

AA-AB32291_1_b.jpg

I will use Atronics ±45v 500VA Toroids as a start. It should give 45*1.414 = 63.6v rails.

m5730.gif

And just incase the amps decide to give up, I will protect my subs from 110v DC using these $5 beauties. It also does soft-start delays and I've had few of them. Works really well.

$(KGrHqNHJF!FG3p4qV(sBRyVVrtKcQ~~60_14.J

• Like 2

I calculated a 2x Hypex UcD400 with PSU and all might cost $600 to build.

D-Sonic is nice at 2400watts @4ohms, but I really don't need that sort of power (yet......) and RRP of $1200 is not in the realm of $200 including box which I'm building here.

Plus, it's not 'DIY' :)

I have a pair of LJM L20D IRS2092 amps (with Connex SMPS) , they are great but I found them a tad noisy for active use direct into my woofers (95 and then 99 dB efficiency), I went over to my TA3020 modules when I went back to MiniDSP.

But I haven't done much work optimising the wiring as they were more than quiet enough for the passive crossovers when I built them.

But as  it looks like the sensitivity of those Dayton subwoofers in the 80s they should be great.

• Like 1

hypex much quieter than connex :).

i too use the irs2092 scalable thru minidsp, it introduces hum into the system but this is just temporary setup where no grounding and no chassis. Although after i put direct to emotiva umc-200, the hum arent noticable but still there.

cheers

henry

I calculated a 2x Hypex UcD400 with PSU and all might cost $600 to build.

D-Sonic is nice at 2400watts @4ohms, but I really don't need that sort of power (yet......) and RRP of $1200 is not in the realm of $200 including box which I'm building here.

Plus, it's not 'DIY' :)

D Sonic doesn't build the Class D amp modules. They get it from someone else too. RRP is likely to be higher because of margins but if you can figure out where they get their modules from, you could do a DIY

Edited by DoggieHowser
  • Like 1

hypex much quieter than connex :).

i too use the irs2092 scalable thru minidsp, it introduces hum into the system but this is just temporary setup where no grounding and no chassis. Although after i put direct to emotiva umc-200, the hum arent noticable but still there.

I think I was fairly thorough with the grounding on my build, most of the noise is more amp hiss than ground loop hum (from memory).

ConnexElectronic also have some amp IRS2092 modules.

I used a ConnexElectronic SMPS300R module with my L20D modules (running slightly undervolted), so I'm guessing thats about 130W per side.

Thanks all. What amazes me are how much options out there and amazing prices for such performance.

I'm now waiting for the shipment of the amps module. I hope to decide on the SMPS 800 or 500 by their size. It seems that I can fit everything into existing enclosure, which will see another saving of $70 and tidiness as bonus. Awesome :)

I found this blog post of a guy who built almost the same setup, but lower power - nice build, and he seems quite happy with it:
http://larrynz911.blogspot.de/2013/03/class-d-audio-amplifier-irs2092s.html

And although the image links have messed up, my older thread on my L20D build:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/34471-l20d-irs2092-based-class-d-amp/

be interesting to see how the super big and grunty edition turns out!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Zog for that link. I'm happy to report good progress from 3am last night :)

The Amps and SPMPS arrived!

DSC_5815.jpg

Meet my new friend:

- Sure Electronics 2x 250w 8Ω (2x500w 4Ω) and

- Connex Electronic SMPS800RE ±60v version.

PROs:

- Awesome POWER. I could not clip it so far. Will try again :)

- No Hum, buzz from the speakers

- Great sound quality. Nothing to complain about

- Awesome price/performance

Note that it looks like an Inverting amplifer. I could not find it in the datasheet but I had to invert the polarity of the sub in my multi-amp system. Or I made wrong wiring .... will recheck.

CONs:

- The SMPS have faint buzz (audible from 5cm open case only)

- Some pop sound when turning on amp (tiny)

- Sure had NOT set the oscillating frequency properly. It ran very hot as stock and temp protection will kick in!

Trim R11A and R11B and all are well (found this tip from Zog's link and diyaudio thread). Now runs luke warm 43deg.

Sure%2520250w%2520IRS2092%2520Adjust%252

A view of the updated 8-channel amps:

- Operating 6x TK2050 for woofer-mid-tweeter

- 2x IRS2092 for subs

The IRS2092 module is +6db louder so I had to attenuate the subs (even more headroom !)

DSC_5836.jpg

I briefly (2 minutes) play Daft Punk at 'discotheque level' this morning and the subs just go ... and go.... I need to find me a quiet time !!

• Like 1