How about an Australian Classic Album Sunday?

I was reading an article in the latest edition of Stereophile by Colleen Murphy, an American DJ who also appreciates good sound. She was a DJ who discovered the value of good sound after attending a private dance party that used a massive Klipsch/ Mark Levinson based hi-fi system. She then began a business called Classic Album Sundays that plays entire albums over audiophile level equipment. Now she does it as a business and charges admission (a reasonable $8) but it got me wondering why SNA can't use its resources to do the same thing? Perhaps a small charge top cover the hire of a hall, perhaps an opportunity for forum sponsors to  audition their systems? Always, an idea to enjoy good music. 

I know that this is really just a variation of the existing GTG format that we all love, but it gives an opportunity to also invite music lovers who haven't discovered what a good audio system adds to their enjoyment.

• Like 1

The Queensland Audio Club ( I am a paid up member ) does this pretty much once a month at a members home

It's more in line of a get together and to highlight another members system that you haven't considered, and in some cases never heard of that make or brand before

So it's a sound and equipment trip

It's what a lot of the audio clubs do isn't it ?

I suppose that this would be more of a 'music club' than an audio club, the focus would be on music rather than gear as a way of introducing music lovers to the benefit of good sound

• Like 1

I'm thinking of more of the 'classic album sunday' concept of the focus purely being around the music rather than the music and the gear so that the audience is non-audiophiles, but with the opportunity to show them the benefit of a good sound system brings to their music. We audiophiles already know that. The evening is hosted by a DJ or a music person, not a 'gear person'. The next audio show might be a great opportunity for this.

• Like 1

I suppose that this would be more of a 'music club' than an audio club, the focus would be on music rather than gear as a way of introducing music lovers to the benefit of good sound

MAC home meetings, of which there are several a month are for the most part entirely music focused. Usually for Jazz, classical, opera and even sometimes for Pop an entire musical program can transpire without even a single equipment change :)

http://www.melbourneaudioclub.org.au/

Ken, it isn't that similar things aren't happening but if you listen to this, I wonder what it is about the way that Coleen does it that attracts new audiences of non-audiophiles? I wonder if this for instance is a way of attracting more women to the benefits of good audio systems?

Currently listening to some rather loud music but I will have a listen to the clip later. I rather like the idea of Classic Album Sundays. The logistics of it all might be a bit of work but I guess that's what the $10 a head is for. As for non-audiophiles, well it's the music and the presentation that they're probably going for. A lot more people are into music than the gear needed to reproduce it. Convincing women as to the benefits of anything more than what's required for the job audio equipment wise. Good luck with that. Like herding cats.

This is a great thread, thanks prof. 

I wonder what it is about the way that Coleen does it that attracts new audiences of non-audiophiles? I wonder if this for instance is a way of attracting more women to the benefits of good audio systems?

A good start would be if a rule was set that a every event must be hosted by a woman. And I mean 'host' being the MC, not the stereotyped 'hostess' who brings in cupcakes and tea at the middle of the show!!!  :mad:

The challenge of even finding these people would show how different the concept is to the the typical audio club afternoon. And such hosts would be likely to have a network of more music-focused contacts that could come to the meetings and change the whole flavour. 

HMMMMMMM???????

• Like 1

I wonder how the event is different through being presented by a DJ rather than by an audiophile? I wonder if it is the reason that these events attract a different audience?

Okay I've listened to the City Radio doco and done a bit of a search on the interweb and to be honest I don't think the audience is that much different other than many of them don't have the ability to do this at home like most of us can.

I can see why it's popular though because of the social aspect of it and of course you get to not only hear the album on very good gear but you also get a complete informed background piece on it.

I also wouldn't underplay the "gear" aspect of it compared to the music as there is a lot of emphasis placed on how good the gear is and giving people the opportunity to hear the album on very good equipment etc, and on vinyl instead of the usual digital/mp3/iThingy crap.

Their logo sums it up nicely... "Classic Album Sundays  - A Communal & Audiophile Listening Experience".

And in London it's held in a pub.

http://www.twentysomethinglondon.com/classic-album-sundays/

Bit far for her to come to Australia though but a possible franchising opportunity :)

Edited by KenTripp

Ask yourself: does your local audiophile society play New Order's Technique or Talking Heads' Remain In Light? I doubt it. Classic Album Sundays do. Cultural significance (rather than sound/mastering/pressing quality) informs their choices. They don't let the tail (hifi gear) wag the dog (music).

I doubt CAS will be playing Jazz At The Pawnshop or Diana Krall anytime soon. ;)

• Like 3

Ask yourself: does your local audiophile society play New Order's Technique or Talking Heads' Remain In Light? I doubt it. Classic Album Sundays do. Cultural significance (rather than sound/mastering/pressing quality) informs their choices. They don't let the tail (hifi gear) wag the dog (music). I doubt CAS will be playing Jazz At The Pawnshop or Diana Krall anytime soon. ;)

I can't speak for other audio clubs and certainly not for the only one in this country that actually has "audiophile" in it's title but you might be surprised by what we play down here in Melbourne.

Ask yourself: does your local audiophile society play New Order's Technique or Talking Heads' Remain In Light? I doubt it. Classic Album Sundays do. Cultural significance (rather than sound/mastering/pressing quality) informs their choices. They don't let the tail (hifi gear) wag the dog (music). I doubt CAS will be playing Jazz At The Pawnshop or Diana Krall anytime soon. ;)

I can't speak for other audio clubs and certainly not for the only one in this country that actually has "audiophile" in it's title but you might be surprised by what we play down here in Melbourne.

I might well be.

But the music choices at (many, many) audiophile gatherings and societies is the main reason I don't attend so often. It just isn't aligned with my own; which makes it super tough to appreciate the usually excellent sound quality and friendly people.

I realise it's me that's the problem here.

I wonder if what deters a wider audience from experiencing the joys that a quality system can bring to music reproduction is the perception (right or wrong) that the focus is on the hardware, that the music is being played to demonstrate the hardware rather than vice versa?

I wonder if what deters a wider audience from experiencing the joys that a quality system can bring to music reproduction is the perception (right or wrong) that the focus is on the hardware, that the music is being played to demonstrate the hardware rather than vice versa?

Nailed it in one. Interestingly, one room (I forget who: reel2reel tapes) at 2012's RMAF played The Who's Tommy from start to finish one night. The room was JAMMED. They did Sgt Pepper the following night to an even bigger audience.

EDIT:  It was the Von Schweickert/Jolida room.  

Edited by John H. Darko

I might well be. But the music choices at (many, many) audiophile gatherings and societies is the main reason I don't attend so often. It just isn't aligned with my own; which makes it super tough to appreciate the usually excellent sound quality and friendly people. I realise it's me that's the problem here.

Interstingly (predictably), if someone with some auditory skills introduces the album discussing some of its history and 'coming to be' I am more attuned to unfamiliar music.

Sometimes, it just needs a bit of a vwerbal intro that you can relate to, for you to get he hook to unfamiliar music.

Then scare the schit out of me with 100dB of dynamics and I'll buy you an ice-cream.

Graham