Simmons Audio Research Speakers ???

Hi,

I'm a new member looking to expand my knowledge in the audio pit, and believe me, there's alot of room for expansion!

I have a quick question, has anyone used or know about Simmons Speakers. I can't find any info on the web. They are being sold via ebay, etc..

Cheers.

Never heard of Simmons Audio Research speakers. Everything about those speakers scream 'white van speaker man' - $1100 speakers for $210 in a plain box...I have extreme doubts on the quality of these. If it were my money I would start with some known quality speakers like the Usher S520 ($499) or Epos M12.2 ($1275) or any number of other fine speakers in that range.

1afa_1.JPG

A lot depends on your musical taste, equipment, space and budget.

cheers

2sheds

• 7 months later...

Yeah,

The sound is not bad when I listened to this speaker at my friend's house last time. Very good for pop.

My friend bought it by someone's recommendation and then he recommended other people. It is good money value speaker compares to its size and quality.

My friend said he doesn't go for well known brands because it will only cost much more and many of those brands come from OEM or same manufacturers.

Be more professional, I won't compare large floor standing speaker to bookshelf speaker. The sound effect is totally different.

Edited by Ultrasound

• 10 months later...

Simmons reserch is a good high quality brand. Most of their drivers are vifa drivers which come from a highly respected company in Denmark.

For the price they are generally a good buy. Expect to pay about $325AU for a pair of VF-2 bookshelf speakers. Team them up with a quality cd player/turntable, amp and good leads/cables and you won't be disapointed.

They do like to be worn in though (and played often). They are also sharp when they first come on but lack punch until at least a minute or so. They are pretty punchy when they get going though.

I'm with Deux Sheds on this one..............:)

According to info posted on their web page, their products are US designed and are of 'Sweden' (sic) standard :D.

http://www.simmons-audio-research.com.au/973.html

Pictures of their speakers confirm that they sort of 'resemble' well known commercial brands like Mordurant Short, B & W & Tannoy.

As for being top quality components.........well, without listening to pair, I won't labour the point :(.

• 7 years later...

and now they have driver with a french name (tried googling it but absolutely no mention of it on the web) yet all the writing on the back of the cabinets is chinese

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Full-Range-Bookshelf-Speaker-One-of-The-Best-6-5-Speaker-Ever-/252836373499?hash=item3ade38e3fb:g:GQQAAOSwh-1W6jCE

• 2 weeks later...