Involve Audio - Surround Master Presentation

Melbourne Audio Club monthly meeting: Wednesday 17th July, 8PM

Involve Audio - Surround Master Presentation

8pm Wednesday 17th July, visitors welcome.

Willis Room, City of Whitehorse Offices
Maroondah Highway (Whitehorse Road), Nunawading
Melway Map 48 Ref G9

This months general meeting will be a very special and unique presentation. We will be the first group in Australia to experience a new type of Surround Sound Processor developed here in Melbourne by Involve Audio. They have come up with a product that really successfully processes surround sound from two – channel sources.

The Surround Master SM-465 makes it possible to achieve a very convincing effect with any stereo source with just four speakers. The unit accurately reproduces the stereo audio you expect to hear, but then adds in what was hidden to produce a surround sound-field The sound cues that have been recorded are brought out and given a distinct “location†in space relative to where they were during the recording.

The presenter for the night, Charles Van Dongen is a name familiar to the club as the person who developed the Whise HA 1500 Electrostatic speakers, that were presented back in Sept’ 2008. Now called The Dragons, these self powered Electrostatics are integrated with a sub/bass speaker within the same enclosure. We will have two pairs of these speakers set up in the room, with the rear pair placed up on tables. This should give the members a better experience of the surround effect.

Charles will be demonstrating the system with four different pieces of music, switching from stereo to surround sound. The room will be set up with a central seating area with two rows separating the outer seats. After the first demo has cycled through, we change seats. The member’s sitting on the outer seats will get a chance to sit in the central area to hear the same demo. This will give everyone the best opportunity to experience the Surround Master.

Such a unique event for the club does not come along that often. With this type of technology enhancing the stereo sound -field, it may change the way you listen to music.

Nick Karayanis
Program Co-ordinator

Ken Tripp
Wise and Wonderful Webmaster
Melbourne Audio Club, Inc.

http://www.melbourneaudioclub.org.au

It should be an interesting night Ken/Charlie ...too bad I am 4000km away Perth.

While The Dragons are very good loudspeakers in the right setting, I am not sure that an electrostatic speaker is good for Home Theatre duties? The sweet spot will be very narrow and with HT an important criteria is making it sound good for a large crowd.

Cheers,

Steve.

• Like 1

It should be an interesting night Ken/Charlie ...too bad I am 4000km away Perth.

While The Dragons are very good loudspeakers in the right setting, I am not sure that an electrostatic speaker is good for Home Theatre duties? The sweet spot will be very narrow and with HT an important criteria is making it sound good for a large crowd.

Cheers,

Steve.

A bit far to travel.

My memory of the last time Charlie demo'd the Dragons was that their dispersion was pretty good but even so and going on the blurb above steps are being taken to ensure everyone gets a go in the sweet spot.

The Surround Master would also appear to be more designed for extracting surround/rear channel info aka ambience from existing two channel material rather than multi-channel HT duties.

Edited by KenTripp

I've heard one report, which was positive.

I was too busy planning a PC rebuild

I believe for a week they're at a discount

Any comments on the effect?

With an Output Level of 3.5 V peak, would any/ many power amps have enough input sensitivity to output full power,

avoiding the need for a preamp, lowering the cost of an extra 2 channels?

Edited by rick575757

A night at the movies or Music maestro please?

It is always a pleasure to be at a demo that is at the very least controversial. A surround sound demo will always bring up the question. Is surround sound for movies or does it have a place in music reproduction as well? Charles presented this question last Wednesday evening with his Surround Master SM465 box of tricks and his, now well known electrostatics up front and as a bonus a second pair at the rear, kindly supplied by Wally.

At the outset it was clear that the question was very much in evidence, as the first couple of tracks had various cinema sound effects ( guns, cars, etc.) as well as music. Charles asked if any members listened to stereo in preference to surround. The answer was, most still do. This, I believe, to be because recording engineers still put you in the middle of the band or orchestra rather than the rears being for ambiance.

The refreshing discovery here wasn't that the system sounded lovely, although it did, but that the surround effect could be tailored to produce the effect the listener believes is right. The SM465 sells for $350.00 which is very afordable and appears to work very well, allowing you to be at the movies or in the concert hall. I, for one, was very impressed with the system as a whole but, in particular with the Whise HA1500 speakers. They were, far and away, the best electrostatics I have ever heard.

Charles is to be congratulated on a well executed idea and for his willingness to present it. And, of course, I cannot end without, once again, thanking Wally for supplying his speakers to complete the system.

Martin VP

Ken Tripp
Wise and Wonderful Webmaster
Melbourne Audio Club, Inc.

http://www.melbourneaudioclub.org.au/

Edited by KenTripp