Have you ever purchased vinyl through Discogs ?

I Never have and I don;t think I ever will. The guys/Gals that run that site just like to sit on their backsides and take the money.

I sold an LP there once and had an unhappy buyer who didn't like my grading of the sleeve.

Oh well what could I do, my first sale there and I was also unhappy. So I offered a full refund and asked for the LP to be returned. The seller didn't want to return the LP, he wanted a $10 partial refund. I sent him another message stating that I would cover all cost including return post, so basically this guy could buy, inspect, play and if not happy, return the LP  at no cost. No this guy didn't want to return this LP at no cost to him, he wanted to keep the LP and just pay less for it. I think he was doing this as I had already left him positive feedback once he paid me (NEVER AGAIN).

Here's a copy of one of his massages about this,

darkeyelids

I will be keeping the LP, but i am extremely unhappy with your unethical response in regards to this transaction (you are forcing a full refund upon me). I see your perspective, but i believe you do not see mine, i paid $65 for an LP i was assured was mint, and you knowingly lied about that. So good luck on this website that is full of collectors that prefer Mint items.

I will not be taking this any further, you wont receive any feedback.

Well once I got off the floor and stopped laughing, I did reply, and I started with

You can go a get ------, and he did leave me Feedback.

The knobs that run that site thought  this was fair, so I told them the same thing.

I Never have and I don;t think I ever will. The guys/Gals that run that site just like to sit on their backsides and take the money.

I sold an LP there once and had an unhappy buyer who didn't like my grading of the sleeve.

Oh well what could I do, my first sale there and I was also unhappy. So I offered a full refund and asked for the LP to be returned. The seller didn't want to return the LP, he wanted a $10 partial refund. I sent him another message stating that I would cover all cost including return post, so basically this guy could buy, inspect, play and if not happy, return the LP at no cost. No this guy didn't want to return this LP at no cost to him, he wanted to keep the LP and just pay less for it. I think he was doing this as I had already left him positive feedback once he paid me (NEVER AGAIN).

Here's a copy of one of his massages about this,

darkeyelids

I will be keeping the LP, but i am extremely unhappy with your unethical response in regards to this transaction (you are forcing a full refund upon me). I see your perspective, but i believe you do not see mine, i paid $65 for an LP i was assured was mint, and you knowingly lied about that. So good luck on this website that is full of collectors that prefer Mint items.

I will not be taking this any further, you wont receive any feedback.

Well once I got off the floor and stopped laughing, I did reply, and I started with

You can go a get ------, and he did leave me Feedback.

The knobs that run that site thought this was fair, so I told them the same thing.

Crappy experience granted mate. But really that sounds like a picky buyer more than discogs sitting on their hands. Let's face it eBay doesn't do anything to help resolve issues a automated resolution centre that's more to do with final value fees on cancelled transaction then anything else.

Most classifieds all rely on PayPal resolution service so regardless of where you sell your gonna be stuck with PayPal (which is heavily biased to the buyer). I'm not saying discogs (or anyone else for matter) shouldn't do more but really they all don't.

I agree, ever since dhl took over Deutsche post the postal service sucks big time.

I didn't know about that.  Should we wait for the rates to rise ?  At the moment thay are exceptional.

I'm finding Discogs getting more useful and Allmusic less so.  For a start discogs has the vinyl A / B side split.

Crappy experience granted mate. But really that sounds like a picky buyer more than discogs sitting on their hands. Let's face it eBay doesn't do anything to help resolve issues a automated resolution centre that's more to do with final value fees on cancelled transaction then anything else. Most classifieds all rely on PayPal resolution service so regardless of where you sell your gonna be stuck with PayPal (which is heavily biased to the buyer). I'm not saying discogs (or anyone else for matter) shouldn't do more but really they all don't.

I did exchange emails with discogs about this and they reviewed it, his feedback stood. The best I could do was have the feedback I left him removed.

In this guys first email he stated he didn't want to get paypal involved, I wish he would have. At least Paypal know that a full refund is very fair.

I do like the site for info etc, but my email exchanges with them give me the impression they're only interested in their cut. I not interested in buying or selling their but is was fun to record small clips to add to listing. I'd always pick what I thought was the best 30 seconds of the LP.

I always read feedback. Thank you to the guy who bought another LP from with my feedback score of 0.00%, this boosted me to 50% and that LP was a cracker.

Got a couple of records last week from a seller from Greece. 100% feedback and items were as described and shipping was reasonably fast. He packed them extremely well too.

Surprised they still have a postal service?! :)

Look forward to hearing about the condition when they arrive q1 2014 :)

Just arrived - all are excellent.

Totally straight out of the guy's record box and they need a super good clean, but these are pressings I've never seen before.

Happy.

I've recently been on a bit of an overseas buying spree on Discogs and ordered stuff from Germany, the UK and Greece (all items I couldnt find here in Australia)

All have arrived quickly and in NM or mint condition exactly as described.

I'm now being adventurous and looking at a few things from the Ukraine!

• Like 1

It is the seller not Discogs that might be the issue. I have had 1 good and one bad experience.

1. Hell Freezes Over l.p. the seller was in Paris, received the lp sealed as promised, never been opened, but inside were 2 sides 3 &4, obviously a packing error at the pressing factory. No fault of the seller, but communication was bad, and it took about 2 months to sort out.. returned the lp for full refund.

2. Bought Sony clark Memorial Quartet..Voodoo.. Mint + from a seller in the UK. No issues it was in better condition than most of my brand new records. Arrived within a week. There were several alternatives, but after my last experience I chose the UK seller.

I suspect it is luck of the draw. If you are searching for something rare there isn't much alternative. It may be worth the risk if you really want it.

• 5 weeks later...

Over the last 6 weeks, I've ordered and received about 50 LPs from  Australia, the UK, Belgium, Denmark,  France, Germany, Greece, The Netherlands and the Ukraine. Interestingly, the shipping costs from the USA and Canada make purchases from Europe far more attractive.

So far, everything has arrived safely, promptly, and exactly as described, and I've been able to track down a lot of my favourite music from the 90's, which was released on LP in only small quantities.

All of the sellers have been easy to deal with, and seller from the Ukraine was incredibly helpful with regards to sorting out the logistics of shipping as well as payment ( difficult as Paypal wont allow payments to the Ukraine, and direct bank transfers are also difficult - I ended up using Western Union).

The only downside my overseas purchases was dealing with Skrill ( a so-called alternative to Paypal). It has to be the most useless, user-unfriendly system I have ever encountered, especially compared to Paypal. They claim they're very security conscious and safe, but that's probably because its so difficult and unwieldy to use that no self respecting criminal would ever dream of laundering money through it.

I would rather strap cash to the leg of a blind, ice addicted , drunk, carrier pigeon with one wing, and then take my chances, than ever attempt to use Skrill again ( sorry, rant over, but I'll still never get back the hours of my life spent trying to navigate their verification system)

Edited by pine weasel
  • Like 1

File pictures, and extremely GENEROUS grading (read: no understanding) are my bugbears.

Just dealt with a very honest NZ dealer who sold me 2 x Radiohead UK originals and an AIR pressing from Europe. All listed as Mint. All scratched, skipped and marked, and though clean outside, practically un-useable. The seller was clueless - according to her, if they look OK, they were 'mint'.
I returned them all for full price + original postage refunds. Had to leave negative feedback though. These sellers spoil the entire system Disocgs have set-up.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained though.

Edited by candyflip

File pictures, and extremely GENEROUS grading (read: no understanding) area bugbears.

Just dealt with a very honest NZ dealer who sold me 2 x Radiohead UK originals and an AIR pressing from Europe. All listed as Mint. All scratched, skipped and marked, and though clean outside, practically un-useable. The seller was clueless - according to her, if they look OK, they were 'mint'.

I returned them all for full price + original postage refunds. Had to leave negative feedback though. These sellers spoil the entire system Disocgs have set-up.

I hate that.   Total waste of time.     The UK radiohead and Euro Air lp's are superb btw   good luck in finding some decent copies.

Just purchased Norah Jones - Come Away With Me 45RPM Classic Records "Clarity Vinyl" unopened mint (4 single-sided 12" 200g translucent records), for a very good price. Not yet sent, but highly reputable seller in UK (***** from 85 respondents). Outstanding value compared to some sellers (Generally seen it for between $350 and $450), but paying $140+ (including shipping) for any record album cannot be considered cheap regardless.

A while ago I paid for another copy, from a guy who turned out to be a fraud.  Money back via PayPal, but very annoying nevertheless.

I've received two other records from one seller and both were as described and good value.

Regards
Warren

Edited by Warren M.

My last purchase was Underworld's Second Toughest In The Infants LP from Holland mint copy last year sometimes. When I finally received it after many weeks, it had been opened by the Australian customs with an inspected by customs sticker.

2 top corners on the cover were still wet, the mint rated cover was actually very old with tears, and now totally ruined by the customs, they must have sprayed some chemical on the cover for drug testing? Someone distributed lines of cocaine on the cover while listening to the Underworld in the underground dungeon of Armsterdam in 1996? Not surprising... The 2 records looked clean and no scratches, and more importantly sound great though.

Edited by Y B

I am chronically 'unwell' so I have some sympathy for those 'reasons'.

Here is my strangest reply so far after asking for postage costs for LPs to Oz from a Discogs seller.

"I tried to look that up on-line and the question is not easily answered. I see prices from $8-$70. The problem is that albums are square and none of the Post Office envelopes/boxes can handle them. Perhaps you could check on your side of the world? I'll see about UPS."

This seller has LPs listed for sale and can't work out how to pack them because "albums are square".........   ????

Not sure I should go any further with a purchase even if they do come through with a postage figure.  What would the grading be like ?  "They are round"........  ???

Should have listened to my own advice on this.  The NM turned out to be VG(+).

So this time I asked a seller to confirm the NM grading .  The answer "...has what may be a pop, or the snare drum as it is where the song kicks into gear".

Guy can't tell the difference between a snare drum and a vinyl 'pop'.  Doesn't build confidence.

Anyway I have a NM aussie press of this on the way before I decide if I need an expensive US import.

I just ordered a few records from Discogs. I figure it depends on the seller. As for condition, I treat condition ratings as a guesstimate. Any seller who is selling a couple of hundred records must be visually grading them (little point as you can't see most scratches) unless they are selling their own collection. Hopefully the ones I ordered will be fine and arrive in a couple of weeks, the seller does seem to sell quite a few and has good ratings.

DS

• 2 weeks later...

I have had good and bad experiences with discogs. Sent one seller lots of questions about a particular lp, I went ahead with purchase. Lp turned up and had a scuff mark across track one. Clicked for half the track. Seller obviously didn't look very hard at the vinyl. 

Other sellers have been excellent, and patiently answered my questions. All UK sellers. I think it's much the same as ebay. You have to get a feel for the sellers descriptions and feedback. The sellers that only offer near mint vinyl - and completely play check records - command big bucks in the International marketplace. And if you buy from those that don't - it's a lottery for the buyer. Yes you can usually always return the records, but it's a pain in the butt, and you're out of pocket about $25.

• 2 weeks later...

File pictures, and extremely GENEROUS grading (read: no understanding) are my bugbears.

have bought a few dozen off Discogs with varying degrees of success over the past few months.

i just received the teardrop explodes - kilimajaro first press graded as VG+.

its a shame the seller never mentioned the 2 inner sleeve splits and the 3 outer sleeve splits. hes now saying - and i quote "Any seam splits where no no doubt caused during it's journey in transit to Australia. The item has experienced several changes in heat and humidity on it's way to you and this could easily cause 30 year old glue to come apart"

And i asked hm to ship in a generic sleeve on the outside of the outer.

that heat & humidity sure is a bastard - didn't realise it caused whitening of the edges and wear to the extreme of causing splitting whilst in transit for 2 weeks.

i get the impression hes not interested in rectifying this as we've swapped 4 emails and he doesn't even want me to send him photos.

is there anyway to resolve this through discogs or is paypal the only way?

cheers, Tom

• 5 months later...

The discogs bug has bitten pretty hard and raided my bank account the last few months. My experience is very good with not a single dud seller, they've all responded promptly with quality packaging and communication. I tried shipping via sea for the first time from a Canadian seller and saved about $40 on postage, took 10 weeks to arrive but hey that freed up cash to go towards more purchases  :) Ironically when hunting for Aussie artists I only found them available in Europe !

I agree with that irony. When looking for Scream in Blue on vinyl by Midnight Oil, I ended up with, I think, a German pressing, sourced through Discogs from Europe. Currently contemplating another Aussie album I can't find on vinyl - it's there on Discogs but expensive and nothing else in the shop I want so the postage won't be chap either.

DS

• Like 1