Diatone Professional Speakers

This one I just got. Its the Yamaha 101M was only made for the professional market. Studio Amplifier. Not for home use. I think this beats all of them,. It has an incredible transparent sound. It has two power cords. Each channel is completely separate of each other. OMG it sounds incredible. Especially with the Yamaha NS 2000's. 61 kg. 580 watts per channel. They say its Yamaha's Finest Stereo Amplifier ever

I think that will do me for awhile..haha

post-155720-0-08540600-1470066581_thumb.

post-155720-0-97624600-1470066582_thumb.

Edited by powerbeck1
  • Like 2

What do you guys think?

I have a Pair of Yamaha NS 1000 XY. I also have NS 2000's. I know this is against public opinion, But I like the sound of the NS 1000x more than the NS 2000. Anyone feel the same?  Maybe they are less honest, than the Yamaha NS 2000's. The 2000's I find are  brutally honest. Some material you play can sound very mediocre. I find the 1000's easier with different amplifiers and material. 

Edited by powerbeck1

I agree Mike the NS-2000 are brutally honest - however with excellent recordings they sound sublime. They also don't distort at loud listening levels (neither do the DS-5000).

I tend to play my better recorded vinyl with the NS-2000s. I was listening to Dire Straits- "on the night" on vinyl (which is very well recorded, the cd is quite compressed). I swear Knopfler and co were right there in the room. I have also listened to very compressed music by the micronauts and it's painful.

I have not heard the NS1000x - I wonder if you're listening room is better suited to the NS1000x? There is the size difference 42kg vs 47kg of the NS-2000. The crossover & drivers are little bit different as far as I know. The bass response in the NS-2000 goes down to 28hz vs 39hz. Hopefully someone else with both speakers can give us their impressions too.

This one I just got. Its the Yamaha 101M was only made for the professional market. Studio Amplifier. Not for home use. I think this beats all of them,. It has an incredible transparent sound. It has two power cords. Each channel is completely separate of each other. OMG it sounds incredible. Especially with the Yamaha NS 2000's. 61 kg. 580 watts per channel. They say its Yamaha's Finest Stereo Amplifier ever

I think that will do me for awhile..haha

Congratulations Mike... Just amazing Yamaha engineering is incredible...

I think you might be right,. It could be the listening room I had the 2000's in was not suitable for them. But very good for the 1000's. I will try the NS 2000's in a different room altogether and see how they sound. Yes it would be good to hear other peoples thought of this.

Edited by powerbeck1

Oh yeah I purchase a pair of victor SX 900 speaker and they are on there way. I wonder how these will sound against the Yamaha's. I will let you know,.Got a good deal on them. Can't wait to hear them. I love the styling on them

post-155720-0-05765700-1470209465_thumb.

Edited by powerbeck1

Seriously guys just stop it.  You will see see elsewhere on SNA I wax lyrical about "end game" , no joy in buying gear and all that jazz.  This absolute Japanese extreme quality engineering just fills me with desire.  This is not good!

The real pearls, the absolute quality in this game is just the same as music.  It takes ten years to sort the soil from the clay. It takes thirty years to sift the gold from the soil.  In another twenty years some of this gear will become like '60's Aston Martins. People will talk of the days an average man could dream of owning it, the time it used to show up occasionally for sale.  The big Diatones' are simply the most desirable speakers I can think of.  Fabulous stuff.

• Like 1

There is an Australian guy I have seen on audiokarma and hopefully on stereo-net who owned those Victors he also owned the Victor Zero 1000s and raved about them. I know on YouTube you can find some very nice vintage Victor videos mrshaman a Russian collector has an extensive collection of Japanese speakers including Victor, Diatone, Yamaha, Sony, Technics etc etc. He told me he really liked the Victors too he had the Zero 1000s.

Hugh you can buy some of the cheaper Diatone speakers for reasonable prices on Hifido the DS-505 a 4 way design looks like a smaller brother (42kg each) to my DS-5000s (87kg each).These can be had for around $1000 + postage/import charges. One guy in the states a Diatone dealer in the 1970s-1980s said its one of the best speakers ever designed. I'm going to guess they would rival the NS-2000 they are probably that good.

Edited by N@qOyQ@tSi
  • Like 1

Just wondering, to bring the discussion back to op's original question, do we have any other stereoneters out there who can comment on Diatone professional or non professional speakers?

Edited by N@qOyQ@tSi

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone over the years has listened to any of the classic Diatone/Mitsubishi loudspeakers? 

http://www.hifido.co.jp/KWdiatone/G1/P0/A10/E/0-50/S0/C12-69489-58922-00/

I'm looking for something interesting to run a Leben CS300XS through and i love the look of these beauties. There's not a lot of info about regarding them and interestingly they don't get snapped up straightaway on HiFiDo like so many others so either the Japanese don't rate them as they aren't overseas made or there's something suss about them.

a.jpg

Any information would be appreciated.

Might be a late on this but I'll give it a go.  I have extensive experience with the 2S-305.  Being a subjective evaluation, I am not sure how accurate my comments will align with your Hi Fi journey so here goes!

I collect 1950s and 1960s professional audio equipment, specifically from the U.K. and West Germany.  I rate the 2S-305 as one of the very top moving coil loudspeakers I have ever heard.  My system at home features QUAD ESL 57s and BBC LS3/6 and the Mitsubishis run the QUADs close for mid range clarity and transient ability (No mean feat).  They lose out in terms of a slight chesty colouration that manifests itself on orchestral music and female vocals.  Avoid them if you wish foundation shaking bass and massive dynamics, you'll be able to set them on fire with any more than about 30W.   They're also quite efficient and you won't need more than 10W for realistic levels.  I am chasing the utmost mid range detail with the lowest possible colouration and am prepared to sacrifice power handing and very extended bass to achieve it.  I also find most high end hi fi systems intolerable in terms of a musical experience, so perhaps I'm not the best one to judge.....

It sounds like (Pun intended) you like offbeat products, if you like the Mitsubishi speakers, also have a look at the English BBC LS5/1A (Very hard to find here) and a stellar performer (Similar to the 2S-305 but far higher power handling and more extended bass) and the Telefunken 086 but this is a bit of a cult object in Germany these days.

• Like 3

My interest as in buying something like these have waned as my system is complete for the foreseeable future but i'm really enjoying reading about these and others from Diatone so thanks for your post. :thumb:

My interest as in buying something like these have waned as my system is complete for the foreseeable future but i'm really enjoying reading about these and others from Diatone so thanks for your post. :thumb:

No problem!

Just realised I made an error, I should have referred to the Telefunken 085, not the 086 (The 086 is self powered).  The 085 was designed to be driven by the amazing Telefunken V69 Amplifier.

Oh yeah I purchase a pair of victor SX 900 speaker and they are on there way. I wonder how these will sound against the Yamaha's. I will let you know,.Got a good deal on them. Can't wait to hear them. I love the styling on them

In da house yet???

Yes I received the Victor SX 900. My god the sound is incredible. I feel they have a more enjoyable sound than the Yamaha NS 2000's. A bigger sound.Right there with the band sound.Tight bass. really good quality bass and lots of it, clarity, Lots of detail and an incredible sound stage. Really smooth flowing sound. I'm blown away.They have such a nice sound that you could listen to them for hours without fatigue. I have a pair of Tannoy DC10 and they are worth over $15,000 and they hold there own against them easily. Guys if you can get a pair do so they are well worth it.  They bet my highest expectations. 

Edited by powerbeck1
  • Like 1

Wow again. They look magnificent. I would love to hear a pair of Diatones one day.

Or maybe you should take a punt on them if the price doesn't climb much higher.

Currently it works out at about $2500 shipped.

Someone should have a crack seems like a bit of a bargain at the moment.

PS I'm invited to the GTG when you get them !!! :D

• Like 1

• 5 months later...