vinyl storage. how do you do it?

I've got two 2x4 on castors - used in a "DJ" setup. I find the castors are useful for raising the height (necessary if over 6').

these cannot be moved with records in, but with the records removed, the castor wheels make adjusting furniture position much easier.

The failure mechanism is that the castors simply rotate and rip right out of the bottom hollow sandwich construction. I put big round-headed bolts and oversize washers through, and it makes little difference.

I do have a 4x4 also about 50% full on carpet. it's pretty stable but I wouldnt want a tweenager climbing it.

5 hours ago, EV Cali said:

The Ikea units, although great value, are definitely made to a price.

The lower unit that I have suffered from the top marking really easily and then looking a bit tatty .

To smarten it up I got a timber benchtop from Bunnings and covered the original top with it.

interesting... did you need to modify the top much?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, zanda said:
13 hours ago, EV Cali said:

The Ikea units, although great value, are definitely made to a price.

The lower unit that I have suffered from the top marking really easily and then looking a bit tatty .

To smarten it up I got a timber benchtop from Bunnings and covered the original top with it.

interesting... did you need to modify the top much?

Hi @zanda

No modification to the original top apart from a hole in each corner so that the new top can be screwed to in from underneath.

• Like 1

I just added this to my kallax which worked perfectly. I was getting really annoyed with records disappearing behind it. Right angle moulding from bunnings cut to size and screwed in. This was a project I did this weekend and I am very happy with it!

back:

uIVKCQz.jpg

front, super neat:

9iKwS0e.jpg

The castors are great but I would not use them on anything bigger. If you have the 16 size kallax, no way. It should be bolted to the wall.

@zanda sounds like my set up is similar to yours. Makes for the perfect height. I don't find it a problem though moving with records in there, which I have to do anyway. Spin it around and hook it up to the desktop hi fi when I want to mix. VERY carefully :)

and I also like very much these wooden crates from Like Butter here in Melbourne.

DqPdHJ1.jpg

as far as categorising goes I do it like this - country > label > artist for all electronic stuff and a different area entirely for other stuff, and none of it is alphabetical, but I know exactly where everything is. New/recent purchases are mostly in the wooden crates and then at the end of the year I consolidate/ will sort some stuff out to sell.

@EV CaliI like the top, I have been thinking about doing something similar, looks really good.

Edited by Benny G
  • Like 7

Guest Hensa
2 hours ago, Benny G said:

I just added this to my kallax which worked perfectly. I was getting really annoyed with records disappearing behind it. Right angle moulding from bunnings cut to size and screwed in. This was a project I did this weekend and I am very happy with it!

back:

uIVKCQz.jpg

front, super neat:

9iKwS0e.jpg

The castors are great but I would not use them on anything bigger. If you have the 16 size kallax, no way. It should be bolted to the wall.

@zanda sounds like my set up is similar to yours. Makes for the perfect height. I don't find it a problem though moving with records in there, which I have to do anyway. Spin it around and hook it up to the desktop hi fi when I want to mix. VERY carefully :)

and I also like very much these wooden crates from Like Butter here in Melbourne.

DqPdHJ1.jpg

as far as categorising goes I do it like this - country > label > artist for all electronic stuff and a different area entirely for other stuff, and none of it is alphabetical, but I know exactly where everything is. New/recent purchases are mostly in the wooden crates and then at the end of the year I consolidate/ will sort some stuff out to sell.

@EV CaliI like the top, I have been thinking about doing something similar, looks really good.

I really like what you've done there with the bracket at the back - looks great and very functional!

I do notice that you've got the Kallax supporting the records with the dowel-secured shelves rather than the other way where the whole shelf is supported by the vertical partitions - I've seen some horror pictures of shelves that collapsed as the dowel wasn't strong enough to support the weight of the records. Might it be worth considering adding some sort of vertical bracing to the shelves as well?

Kallax.jpg.344cc09e518eb104ff612b405840f0c5.jpg

Edited by Hensa

10 minutes ago, Hensa said:

I do notice that you've got the Kallax supporting the records with the dowel-secured shelves rather than the other way where the whole shelf is supported by the vertical partitions - I've seen some horror pictures of shelves that collapsed as the dowel wasn't strong enough to support the weight of the records. Might be worth considering adding some sort of vertical bracing to the shelves as well?

I have a 5 x 5 unit and I did make sure that  the whole shelf was supported by the vertical partitions, not the dowels, as once full you really are talking about a lot of weight and it is just better practice .

I also have a 1 x 5 at each end of the 5 x 5  and it was not possible to do this with out the dowels supporting the shelves and after a number of years I have not had any problems.

Most of the pictures I have seen on the net of collapsed units have been the  5 x 5  that have not been fixed to the wall.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hensa said:

I really like what you've done there with the bracket at the back - looks great and very functional!

I do notice that you've got the Kallax supporting the records with the dowel-secured shelves rather than the other way where the whole shelf is supported by the vertical partitions - I've seen some horror pictures of shelves that collapsed as the dowel wasn't strong enough to support the weight of the records. Might it be worth considering adding some sort of vertical bracing to the shelves as well?

Kallax.jpg.344cc09e518eb104ff612b405840f0c5.jpg

It took me a while to work out what you meant but I see.

It's the only way to do it for me though, because it has me decks and mixer on it. Next time I play I'll put up a pic - directly opposite is my desk and I spin the shelf around and connect it to my desktop hi fi.

I have seen a few pictures like that on the web, it's just way too much weight at the top. 4x4 lying down is fine. I have considered doing something to reinforce it but there's really nowhere to screw anything into, the corners all have dowel/screws. I think it would just introduce more points of weakness.

On 2017-6-19 at 11:48 PM, zanda said:

The failure mechanism is that the castors simply rotate and rip right out of the bottom hollow sandwich construction. I put big round-headed bolts and oversize washers through, and it makes little difference.

re castors, the castors on my kallax are from Ikea, made for the kallax. They aren't screwed directly into the base, they are fixed on bars which run underneath the unit. So the swivel doesn't put any strain on the kallax, also the width is bigger than the width of the base. IMO they are great, way more stable than screwing castors into it.

Cost $20 each from Ikea, and you need 3 for a horizontal 4x4

in my pics see the back and front castors, well there is a metal flat bar running underneath that the shelf sits on and you screw them in place at the front and back

Edited by Benny G

35 minutes ago, Benny G said:

re castors, the castors on my kallax are from Ikea, made for the kallax. They aren't screwed directly into the base, they are fixed on bars which run underneath the unit. So the swivel doesn't put any strain on the kallax, also the width is bigger than the width of the base. IMO they are great, way more stable than screwing castors into it.

Cost $20 each from Ikea, and you need 3 for a horizontal 4x4

in my pics see the back and front castors, well there is a metal flat bar running underneath that the shelf sits on and you screw them in place at the front and back

The IKEA castors are a great idea. for the  4 x 2 unit   http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/80288658/

I note is states on the IKEA  Au site 

Good to know

To avoid the risk of tipping over, these castors should only be used for units lower than 80 cm (castors excluded).

And on the IKEA America site 

KALLAX

Rail with 2 casters, silver color

$15.00

WARNING: TIP-OVER RISK: This furniture must be permanently fixed to the wall.

WARNING: TIP-OVER RISK: This furniture must be permanently fixed to the wall. Read more here.

Not  much point in the castors if you then have to fix the furniture to the wall !!!! :)

Edited by EV Cali

It looks like these units would benefit from cross bracing, just like a house frame.  Perhaps in addition to the nice "backstops" seen here (to stop records falling through and leave them even at the front), one should add diagonal bracing, or at least flat bracing sheet, to the back?

10 minutes ago, Schnuck said:

Yes those 5 x 5 Ikea units sag. The 4 X 4 have always been good though. 

As long as shelf's are supported by the vertical partitions, not the dowels and you fix the unit to a wall , you will have no need for bracing and no  problems with the 5 x 5 for record storage.

Mine has been in use for about 6 years with no issues and no sagging.

My 2 x 4 is free standing with out bracing and has given no problems.

If you intend to use the 4 x 4 or the 5 x 5  as a free standing room dividers storing records, some major alterations and bracing would have to be done as they are too weak and not designed for this purpose.

I've got a 5x5 and a 1x5 Expedit turned on its side. No bracing, no fixing to the rear wall and on a timber floor it's as solid as a rock and has been for quite a few years now.

Expedit.thumb.jpg.23ed7bf7e8885fa8ff067c03417ba4d9.jpg

• Like 6

As I said in an earlier post, the backing I put on mine makes the whole thing solid diagonally. There's no reason why the larger units should sag anymore than the smaller, the spans are all the same between vertical supports. My backing means all the records have something to back on to keeping them even, plus there is one less opening for dust. I like the fact that the records sit in a little as it offers some protection, particularly on the bottom shelves where feet can hit them.

• Like 1

Fabricating a backing as a seal against dust is an excellent idea as the rear is where the open end of the sleeve is. If I ever take mine apart for any reason I would do that before I place the records back in.

• 10 months later...

Hey there.  I'm amped to have found this thread because this looks oddly like the only conversation I can find online that can give me reliable feedback about what I want to do with the Kallax.

I want to buy a 4x4 Kallax and put it on casters, with NO records, books, or anything heavy in it--or on top of it  It'll hold fabric or plastic bins with pencils, some craft stuff, but mostly stuffed animals and random things I need to teach ESL kids online.  I need to be able to move this unit twice daily on hardwood floors so that when I'm done teaching in front of a wall which has rinky dink teaching posters on it, I can move the Kallax back in front of it.  That way, I don't have to see silly teaching materials on my wall, and everything is put away and hidden on the shelves til the next day.  

I can't mount the Kallax to the wall, as it would defeat the purpose of moving it daily.  Is it safe to put casters on the bottom and move it carefully each day, then lock them?  If so, should it be 3 or four caster sets?

Or is it better to use no casters, but attach a giant piece of sticky felt to the bottom that is the same size, and just push it on the floor?  (I'd much rather use the casters so I don't collect dog hair, but I'll do which ever is safest and better for the unit.)

Any thoughts?

The IKEA caster sets look pretty good.

I was checking them out a couple of weeks ago but they only had them demoed on the 2 x 4 at the store I went to.

A previous post mentions that 3 sets are needed for the 4 x 4 and I'd guess that would be right for a fully loaded unit.

I built one years ago for books............that was pre caster era and it was really stable when properly done..............unfortunately it got rained on during renos..................they don't like being wet............that's for sure!

@Jackie_K you must enjoy your work, well done.

With a 4 x 4 I would put 3 pairs of castors on it, not for weight, but stability. The only thing to be careful of is when you start to move it, try to initiate movement from down low, ie, give it a nudge with your knee. This will avoid pushing it over. It will easily hold the weight you're proposing. 

7 hours ago, t_mike said:

@Jackie_K you must enjoy your work, well done.

With a 4 x 4 I would put 3 pairs of castors on it, not for weight, but stability. The only thing to be careful of is when you start to move it, try to initiate movement from down low, ie, give it a nudge with your knee. This will avoid pushing it over. It will easily hold the weight you're proposing. 

t_Mike, thanks for the response!   Do you think I should attach plywood at the bottom, as well, and then attach the casters to that?  Or is that not necessary?  

And if I wanted to put one of those felt cat cave inserts in one or two cubes of the bottom row, would that be risky while on locked casters? 

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70386292/

Has anybody found some good quality plastic dividers for sorting records? I have okra shelves and want to seperate the records into some artists sections for easy finding. 

Found these on ebay. They are great but stupid expensive. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392036690709

Thanks in advance. 

2 hours ago, Jackie_K said:

t_Mike, thanks for the response!   Do you think I should attach plywood at the bottom, as well, and then attach the casters to that?  Or is that not necessary?  

And if I wanted to put one of those felt cat cave inserts in one or two cubes of the bottom row, would that be risky while on locked casters? 

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70386292/

Ply might be a good idea if you are pushing it around a lot, as the bottom is a hollow form. Likewise if it will have any weight in it. Can't see any problem with the cat cave, as long as the cat likes it.