vinyl storage. how do you do it?

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought my IKEA Expedit, finished setting it up over the weekend. IKEA Expedit black brown price was down priced to $89.

For the price, the wood is good quality and it can hold a good decent amount of records.

post-140963-0-44920000-1371641424_thumb.

post-140963-0-46706400-1371641425_thumb.

Edited by Xonnie316

For those looking for alternative to Ikea,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MILAN-DIRECT-Miami-Shelving-Unit-Bookcase-Bookshelf-Storage-Shelves-Oak-Finish-/161038777508?pt=AU_Bookshelves&hash=item257ea8bca4

Given the wood finish, I think it looked more at home if you have the classic vintage thing going. Also the sealed back prevents dust getting in through the back. Plus free delivery!

For those looking for alternative to Ikea,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MILAN-DIRECT-Miami-Shelving-Unit-Bookcase-Bookshelf-Storage-Shelves-Oak-Finish-/161038777508?pt=AU_Bookshelves&hash=item257ea8bca4

Given the wood finish, I think it looked more at home if you have the classic vintage thing going. Also the sealed back prevents dust getting in through the back. Plus free delivery!

I dunno. There's no mention of what it's made of, 'solid and sturdy' is all you get. PVC 'Oak' finish might look bloody awful in the flesh. The Ikea finish is of a good quality. Also there's no mention of its weight bearing which is a concern when it's chock full or records.

I've got it bad :( . I classify my record collection by their individual sonic capabilities (and there is amazing differences). I have mine listed from 1-100, rated by how good they sound to my ears, nothing to do with the genres or actual music. I have an excel spreadsheet listing the records individual audio capabilities, what label they are, how noisy they are and whether I've cleaned it yet or not.

My doctor says I need to get out more.

You're mental!  :)

• 3 years later...

My wife's Uncle came out of retirement and built one last custom record cabinet to fill a spot in my storage area. Arrived today.

After having to buy a few Ikea storage devices, I really don't like them. The area to store your records are too far apart. Looking for a record has the records being quite heavy and hard to manoeuvre as they hold 55-65 in each block. Too deep as well in non modified form.

My custom design has space for around 20-25 records with dividers around 90% the height of a record.  This enables very easy access to flick through you records.

Pic below half filled - not crooked, just my photo :)

35356997155_d9d0222249_b.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 8

25 minutes ago, metal beat said:

My wife's Uncle came out of retirement and built one last custom record cabinet to fill a spot in my storage area. Arrived today.

After having to buy a few Ikea storage devices, I really don't like them. The area to store your records are too far apart. Looking for a record has the records being quite heavy and hard to manoeuvre as they hold 55-65 in each block. Too deep as well in non modified form.

My custom design has space for around 20-25 records with dividers around 90% the height of a record.  This enables very easy access to flick through you records.

Excellente!!  :thumb:

Andy

I know this is a old thread but it's interesting to read that most people who commented store their records alphabetically, I store both my CD's and albums by genre and that is hard enough to manage, having every thing stored alphabetically would drive me completely barmy quick smart.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

31 minutes ago, MC240 said:

@metal beat Wow your the only other bloke I've seen with The Fall album bought my copy in the70's.Geez it was crap album as I recall.

Grotesque came out in 1980 and is superb album imo.  Never owned  the original,  this is a new reissue.  They are definately not audiophile approved :)

20 hours ago, metal beat said:

They look super functional as well as looking very aesthetically pleasing.  You're very lucky to have a resource like your wife's uncle on tap Shane.

That is a superb collection of records you have - easily one of the best in Australia and definitely the most comprehensive I've seen in the flesh.  Your currently spinning section is almost as big as my entire collection.

Do you alphetabetise the currently spinning section as well, or just the main archives?  I was too busy wiping my jaw off the floor with your record and turntable collection to notice.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, ABG said:

They look super functional as well as looking very aesthetically pleasing.  You're very lucky to have a resource like your wife's uncle on tap Shane.

That is a superb collection of records you have - easily one of the best in Australia and definitely the most comprehensive I've seen in the flesh.  Your currently spinning section is almost as big as my entire collection.

Do you alphetabetise the currently spinning section as well, or just the main archives?  I was too busy wiping my jaw off the floor with your record and turntable collection to notice.

Yea, my one and only invention :)      Pity he has retired, he came out of retirement for one last time - He has done 14 of these cabinets for nothing over the years - so yes very lucky indeed.

Andrew, you have that Kurt Vile triple album version of I'm Going Deep Down you bastard and i am slumming it with the 2lp version LOL   :)

Your wall of vinyl is looking pretty good now and room for another cabinet :thumb:   Post a pic as it's time to share the vinyl love.

Nah, I am anal but not that anal.  the currently spinning /buying pile is just as it comes .

cheers

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Yea, my one and only invention :)      Pity he has retired, he came out of retirement for one last time - He has done 14 of these cabinets for nothing - so yes very lucky indeed.

Andrew, you have that Kurt Vile triple album version of I'm Going Deep Down you bastard and i am slumming it with the 2lp version LOL   :)

Your wall of vinyl is looking pretty good now and room for another cabinet :thumb:   Post a pic as it's time to share the vinyl love.

Nah, I am anal but not that anal.  the currently spinning /buying pile is just as it comes .

cheers

I'll swap you my Kurt Vile record for just one measly cabinet full of your tecords.  You wouldn't even notice them... ;)

As requested, here's a piccie of my chunk-a-vinyl.  All in Kallax cubes. Alphebetised in 3 sections - jazz, classical, everything else.

20170618_172747.jpg

• Like 9

Guest Hensa
Strictly alphabetical, except Classical which are together.

Current buys and spinning 

34528931874_1a2eb6f4c0_h.jpg

Into the real shelves

35241909181_7f0ff79285_h.jpg

Holy schitt balls, Shane! That is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk