Hello to the warm sound of vinyl

Hello

Possible false start there overlooking an intro email, but here I am....

Continuing the pursuit of the warm sound of vinyl, and nice loud speakers with a budget controlled by a hostile senate.

First system, something from Encel back in 1988.. had just found out the aforementioned hostile senate was expecting, rushed into the hifi shop, spent pay cheque (god it actually was a cheque back then still...)

It was second hand no name speakers or near enough

A Rotel Amp

A sound research Lp IV TT

Which is just about what leads me here

Believe it or not that TT is still rolling. However I'm looking to ditch it - I'm pretty sure there's better things going and am interested in the Vintage options. By way of a starting point, I thought I'd research the old "sound research" but all records of that TT appear to have been wiped clean, perhaps by the wrath of god. You'd think it had never been built, by a company that never existed. I did pull it apart many years back, sans-Interwebs (umm not that that would have helped, it has since transpired...) to fix a spring that was dissing with the cueing arm... and man I nearly died of plastic poisoning. This unit has a LOT of plastic going around. Anyway, as I said.. wiped clean, by the wrath of god. But it still plays records, not to badly, but its time for something new, ... or old. Like an old Thorens TD-160 or its non unionised mexican equivalent.

Adios for now... looking forward to much advice...

See if Encell will trade it back in ?? :). Some of those vintage TT's you're contemplating have been quietly appreciating - so it's not a cheap exercise!

It's a fun process though - good luck.

DjB,

thanks !

Looking at a vintage option but don't really want to go over 350-400. Am extremely envious of a friend who happily informed me he picked up a nice Dual 1229 for 39 bucks and a 1019 for 75.

I think those days are gone however :(.

I'll head on over to TT and see whats going down.

• 1 month later...

Buying a vintage turntable is like buying a vintage car... no telling what's going to go wrong next.

Not to mention what makes you think that the callibration is correct for the tonearm much less the rotation speed. 

Won't know till you get your hands on it and then you OWN it.

Your mention of Encel brought back memories of the first time I ever heard Sonus Faber speakers, I was in awe of the sound and looks, after quite a few years I have just got my own Venere 2.5 and in listening heaven, playing vinyl on my Rega P3-24.

• 4 years later...

Good God I’d forgotten this old original post but just saw it now and as chance would have it snared that TD 160, recently serviced at the time by speakerbits I think, from a departing Asian student, for $230... it had with it an original receipt from its original owner bought at none other than encel stereo in the early 70’s… about the time I was 4... for around $200

....and now it’s mine ... 

On 4/4/2013 at 11:37 PM, snwarmsound said:

I thought I'd research the old "sound research" but all records of that TT appear to have been wiped clean, perhaps by the wrath of god.

Yes. I used to sell those back in the mid 80's for about a month and they dissapeared after that. Black Turntable with a big lid and some kinda rudimentary suspension.

I think we got them from the Ex Akai manager that was pushing Korean TEAC and ConeyOnkyo. $169 on special :)