Show us your tubes

5 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I know you guys have been posting some pretty gear.  How about something different.  This is a prototype phono preamp I built years ago.  I have built better looking stuff since, but, like a lot of my prototypes, I am still using this in the back room.  Ugliness does effect the sound luckily.      

proto-tubephono a.JPG

U mean Ugliness "Does NOT" effect the sound ;)

It looks a good DIY level amp. Keep up the good work..

Cheers..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Anderson said:

U mean Ugliness "Does NOT" effect the sound ;)

It looks a good DIY level amp. Keep up the good work..

Cheers..

Oh course I meant to say does NOT...   :)

Thanks for the comments.  I must take a photo of a later one that is a bit prettier.   

Edited by aussievintage

2 hours ago, Shanghai Wally said:

Aloha

Anyone in the Aussie Tube Section know something or seen this tubes before? Very rare info in the www.

Cheers

Wally

2017-04-10-13-39-06-299.jpg

Never seen the brand before. Have no idea if they are rare or valuable.

Aloha

Western National 6L6GC tubes kind of terra incognita:P

Same here also don't have a idea about this cute babies how they Sound etc..but as soon as the defective MC-30 is back from Service I'll start a test run and check the Sound comes 

Wait and check later

Cheers

2017-04-10-13-39-54-482.jpg

Edited by Shanghai Wally
Text adjustment
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shanghai Wally said:

Aloha

Western National 6L6GC tubes kind of terra incognita:P

Same here also don't have a idea about this cute babies how they Sound etc..but as soon as the defective MC-30 is back from Service I'll start a test run and check the Sound comes 

Wait and check later

Cheers

2017-04-10-13-39-54-482.jpg

You have probably seen posts of my latest 6L6 SE UL amps. I'm stunned how good these tubes can sound. Big surprise.

• Like 1

I know you have seen this image before but I thought you may be interested in some details of the metal 6L6s. They are JAN-CKR-6L6s. VT-115. Accepted in Feb. 1944 (so real old). Made by General Electric (GE). I have some NOS GE 12AU7s in my DIY tube preamp which I feel sounds so extremely good.

They were tested at 80%. I must check the other two pairs to see if some don't test better but I like these because these are the ones I sanded back and sprayed with high temp engine paint.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Great idea repainting them.   

They were slightly corroded otherwise I may not have even bothered. Though they were painted six months ago for the first few days of playing the amp paint smells wafted through the house. Glad that's over. 

11 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

They were slightly corroded otherwise I may not have even bothered. Though they were painted six months ago for the first few days of playing the amp paint smells wafted through the house. Glad that's over. 

Most examples I have in the shed are also worn and corroded a bit from rattling around in the odd's and end's box.  I tried 2 metal 6L6s in a mono amp I have, but they didn't look the part.  Maybe if I repainted mine too, I'd be happier to use them.  I also have a SET amp that can be configured for 6L6 types...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aussievintage said:

Most examples I have in the shed are also worn and corroded a bit from rattling around in the odd's and end's box.  I tried 2 metal 6L6s in a mono amp I have, but they didn't look the part.  Maybe if I repainted mine too, I'd be happier to use them.  I also have a SET amp that can be configured for 6L6 types...

Don't get too hung up on black; canary yellow or a deep red could really look quite striking. 

The amp above sounds too much like the second one I built using the same schematic. I have changed the driver tube to a Miniwatt and cut away the bypass cap on the driver tube. But I'm thinking on a rewire using all carbon film resistors. A bit of fiddling about but it may be just enough to give it a different voice to the better built one with the JJ 6L6GCs. 

Guest BobbyD
On 4 March 2017 at 4:32 PM, SETSergio said:

BK, no horns, but vented 150 L cabinet's working (hopefully) from ~ 315 Hz down to the 30's to assist my current speakers which only get down to maybe ~ 60 Hz. All to be driven by my 300B amp.

Imagine a Klipsch Cornwall without the compression tweeter and midrange and that's what I am chasing.

So we are not off topic a pic of some tubes..;)

image.jpeg

And the finished product.....

image.jpeg

Valve DAC (Longdog audio VDT1). Uses an ef86 to regulate power supply and an pair of 5687 tubes for output:

20170420_162704.thumb.jpg.c043a3756785ffd106fcb76c2229525c.jpg

Here are the first NOS output tubes I've ever bought, Tung Sol 5687s. They were made in the late 50s, so a good few years older than myself! Note the oxidization on the pins.

20170420_162914.thumb.jpg.4d59525e8137d6998070ecf958c9fd9f.jpg

I used a fibre glass 'pen' to clean them back to bare metal, nice and shiny now. Then I applied Deoxit Gold to them before putting into the DAC.

20170420_164249.thumb.jpg.1468c67b7cf401a55b296806f6513b66.jpg

Lovely sounding things.

Edited by realysm42
  • Like 1

I have made some comments in earlier posts that my DIY 6L6 power amps - Silver Supreme - sounds really excellent. Also it is a fast an SS amp. And that's not my comment but others who have heard it. Also others who have heard the amp at my place agree it is an almost SS sounding amp.

Part of what I'm putting that down to is the SS PS. Just about every other tube amp I have built has tube rectification. This is one of the few amps I have used SS rectification. Also there is 850uf of filtering in two stages. No choke. This is also very unusual for me. I choke everything including my DIY phono preamp amp.

I'd like to hear from those who have tube amps with either tube or SS rectification and there comments on weather they think there is a sonic advantage with SS rectification. I know it could be hard to compare but a subjective comment is all that is required. I may never go back to tube rectifiers just based on the results of my last two DIY tube amps with SS hearts!

Edited by mwhouston

Guest BobbyD
1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

I have made some comments in earlier posts that my DIY 6L6 power amps - Silver Supreme - sounds really excellent. Also it is a fast an SS amp. And that's not my comment but others who have heard it. Also others who have heard the amp at my place agree it is an almost SS sounding amp.

Part of what I'm putting that down to is the SS PS. Just about every other tube amp I have built has tube rectification. This is one of the few amps I have used SS rectification. Also there is 850uf of filtering in two stages. No choke. This is also very unusual for me. I choke everything including my DIY phono preamp amp.

I'd like to hear from those who have tube amps with either tube or SS rectification and there comments on weather they think there is a sonic advantage with SS rectification. I know it could be hard to compare but a subjective comment is all that is required. I may never go back to tube rectifiers just based on the results of my last two DIY tube amps with SS hearts!

Hi Mark,

there is tube rectification and then there is "tube rectification"

2 Power trannies, 6 rectifiers and 6 chokes .... 3 per channel dual mono.

Cap's everywhere underneath.

Each rectifier power supply feeds a tube on the output side.:love

image.jpeg