SOLD: FS: Pioneer Kuro 60" LX609A (9th gen)

Item:
Pioneer Kuro 60" LX609A (9th gen) plasma TV.

This was Pioneer's flagship TV in Australia and as you'd expect is amazing. Probably the best overall contrast performance of any TV, even today, with amazing black levels and a surprisingly bright picture for someone like me who is more familiar with newer plasmas. But the thing that really stands out to me is the colour - I haven't seen anything like it on another TV, even TVs that appear to calibrate perfectly in terms of colour. The depth and saturation of the picture is something else. It also has excellent video processing and motion performance - I haven't noticed any phosphor lag and dithering is minimal compared with the Panasonics I've seen recently. In short, I think there's good reason for people to say it's one of the best TVs ever made and better than almost anything else on the market today. It's certainly the best I've ever seen.

Mansfield QLD 4122. You can get a removalist to move it for a pretty reasonable price - that's how I got it in the first place (I am the second owner).

Price:
Looking for about
$3,000
$2,500 (see below re panel life), maybe a bit more or less depending on the level of interest.

This is around what I paid for it and is about $1,000 less than a new 55" Panasonic VT50 (their flagship from last year), which by most accounts is similar to but slightly worse than the 9G Kuro. Obviously you get the extra 5" with the LX609 and Pioneer's build quality but it's also older and used so there's the trade-off.

Item Condition:
Excellent condition, with the only physical issues being a blemish on the very bottom left of the panel coating, which is only noticeable in a bright room and does not affect performance in any way, and some cosmetic scratching on the stand base. I am told it is about 2.5 years old with an estimated 4,000 hours on it.

EDIT: It turns out the service menu reads some 17,000 hours! It still seems very bright for that age so I'm not sure how accurate it is or whether it was actually in use for that time. However, obviously the price will need to drop further to take that into account.

Reason for selling:
I bought this second-hand very recently (in the last month or so). I have always wanted to own a Kuro so when a 9G 60" came up I jumped at the chance. As some of you may remember, I sold a 50" Panasonic ST50 not long ago when I thought I was going to move and needed to downsize, but it turns out I was staying in my old place for a while longer and I couldn't resist buying the old flasghip Kuro even if I would only have it for a short time. I was hoping I'd be able to take it wherever I ended up going anyway - maybe not the best idea but, as I said, I'd always been curious about the Kuro and this was probably the only time I'd ever be able to buy one.

Unfortunately, just my luck, since buying I have committed to move to a small inner-city apartment closer to work and the layout of the complex makes it very difficult to manoeuvre the TV in. And I've now found out in the last week that I'm likely to be heading overseas later in the year. So I've decided to bite the bullet and sell the TV before I have to move (so I don't have to get removalists to shift it again), hoping that it goes to a more stable home!

Payment Method:
Pickup - Cash, Paypal, bank transfer

Extra Info:
I think everything is covered above but let me know if I've missed anything or you have any other questions. Please note I've also posted this ad over at DTV Forum and now on Gumtree. Please post any offers etc in this thread if you don't mind - I think it's fairer if everyone knows where things are at rather than doing it by PM.

Pictures:
I've taken some off-screen pics (please ignore the moire and scan lines - they're the camera, not the TV) and some pics of the TV itself. Obviously they do not come close to doing it justice, but there's an excellent thread over at AVSForum with some much better pictures if you're interested:

1yvshz.jpg

2ues1h.jpg
3aasa5.jpg
3-237sxr.jpg
4zrsud.jpg
54lsn2.jpg
6gfsww.jpg
7sns5d.jpg
816sb8.jpg

Edited by logicaldisconnect

These pioneers were the best plasma produced ever. I have the 8th generation lx608a and would never sell it for the world. These retailed for 12k when brand new although I paid 7.5k for mine. Your price is a bargain. Picture quality is better than anything on the market these days imo.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

These pioneers were the best plasma produced ever. I have the 8th generation lx608a and would never sell it for the world. These retailed for 12k when brand new although I paid 7.5k for mine. Your price is a bargain. Picture quality is better than anything on the market these days imo. Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Agree, I have the 50inch Version and love it to bits, excellent picture quality and performance. Can't go wrong with this TV.

Sorry, didn't see the new replies. If I can get my hands on a USB to serial adapter (or one of the laptops I have lying around has a serial port), I can check the actual number of hours if you like. As I say, 4,000-5,000 is what I've been told, so pretty young overall.

I am willing to drop a hundred or two from the price if someone can take it this weekend or earlier, just so I don't have to find something to do with it when I move on Saturday.

Edited by logicaldisconnect

You can actually find the hours use by going into service mode using your remote and a special turn on procedure. I did this too long ago to remember but Google it and you will find how.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

I've been trying for the last hour to do this and I can't work it out. I don't think there's an ordinary remote code for the 9G. The Australian (and European) 9G models also don't seem to have IP control, so I can't access the service menu over my network either. I think I would have to program a Pronto code for the service menu into a Harmony remote or use the ControlCal software to connect via the serial port. I don't have anything with a serial port but I do have a Harmony remote around so I might try it later. But if someone knows an easier method, please let me know!

Sorry to double post. I've just been able to check the service menu and unfortunately it looks like the panel usage numbers are much higher than the estimate I was given. The service menu reading is 17,000 hours. The TV does still seem very bright for that supposed usage so I'm not sure whether the panel was actually being used for that amount of time. However, it obviously adds significantly to the risk so I've dropped the price $500 at this stage to compensate. I'm probably willing to go even lower depending on when you can take it.

It still looks great to me and that usage is still about 1/3 of the estimated panel lifetimes I've read, but I am being totally upfront about this so you don't find yourself in the same situation as I did of just relying on an inaccurate guess as to usage!

• Like 1