WarwickF

Basil Martion "The Hornmeister" - Meet The Designer

20 posts in this topic

PMG is very fortunate to have Basil Martion, the designer of Martion Audiosysteme hornspeakers from Berlin, Germany in Australia to oversee the installation of the first Martion horn loudspeaker systems in Australia. Basil has had a love affair with horn loudspeakers for over 40 years and has developed the most sophisticated, dynamic, accurate and above all musical speakers you can imagine.

Loudspeakers in the Martion range include:

Orgon, top of the range 4 way fully active horn system with 18" corner horn bass and front horn upper bass, midrange and treble.

Einhorn, newest model in the range comprises the Orgon bass but with a single wide range horn above 350Hz and a super tweeter for ambience.

Bullfrog 2, is an update of the well loved Bullfrog model that is a monitor style stand mount speaker with a 15" sealed box bass unit and a coaxial horn above 680Hz.

If you are a horn enthusiast or just a music lover interested in having the best sound possible in your home then you must hear these speakers. Meeting the designer is the best way to appreciate what Martion speakers are all about and to understand the principles of horn design and why so many people are hooked on horns. Martion speakers are not your typical horn system so forget what you think you know about horns.

Basil has a tight schedule so apologies in advance for the short notice. The times and locations are as follows:

Mornington Saturday Jan 12 from 1pm to 4pm - Einhorn system

Melbourne Sunday Jan 13 from 1pm to 4pm - Orgon system and Bullfrog 2 system

Brisbane Thursday Jan 17 from 7pm to 10pm - Orgon system

It is essential to let us know if you wish to come so please PM Warwick to reserve your place as numbers are limited.

post-104373-0-51566900-1357647688_thumb.

1 person likes this

Awesome Warwick. Opportunities like this don't come along everyday. And great to see a PMG "roadshow". Please put me down for the Brisbane gig :-)

Edited by jrisles

ohhhh, hope to be there on Sunday

Great opportunity indeed

Wow - something not to be missed. Great treat for the Melbourne and Brisbane folk.

It is not often you can meet someone with Basil's experience in horn loudspeakers. If you want to know what horns are like or are an experienced horn lover who wants to pick the brains of someone who has probably tried everything and knows the pitfalls then this is an opportunity to save yourself a lot of time and money.

I'm in the wrong State, but I would like to ask him how he thinks he is getting 118dB/W out of his Orgon.

Really enjoyed the Martion website though. I hadn't come across it before and it's eye candy to us hornies.

Once again Perth is missed out, I'm referring to just about anyone or anything that tours Australia BTW, not a single dig, just a perception based on often missing out on things that happen only on the east coast.. At least the V8's are back, that's a bonus :D

Oh to be known as the "hornmeister"!

This sounds brilliant... unfortunately I have a prior arrangement which won't be nearly as much fun :(

Great stuff from PMG by the way. A rare opportunity - well done guys

Once again Perth is missed out, I'm referring to just about anyone or anything that tours Australia BTW, not a single dig, just a perception based on often missing out on things that happen only on the east coast.. At least the V8's are back, that's a bonus :D

Not deliberately leaving you Perth guys out. We have lots of Perth customers. It is just a function of speakers being installed in Melbourne, Mornington and Brisbane so we are taking the opportunity for people to meet Basil. When we have an installation to do in Perth we will definitely have a gig for you guys.

I'm in the wrong State, but I would like to ask him how he thinks he is getting 118dB/W out of his Orgon.

Really enjoyed the Martion website though. I hadn't come across it before and it's eye candy to us hornies.

118dB is the efficiency of the Einhorn mid/tweeter horn. The corner horn bass system is about 104dB. Since the system is active it means you can take full advantage of the natural efficiency of each driver/horn assembly. There is no padding back of the higher efficiency drivers to match the lowest efficiency driver as would be the case with a passive system.

The Orgon system has 104dB for the bass, 116dB for Low Midrange, 114dB or Midrange and 113dB for Tweeter. Orgon is running 10 watt Pure Class A amplifiers for Tweeter and Midrange, 180 watts (First 10w Class A) for Low Midrange, and 350 watts Class A/AB for Bass.

My mistake, I meant the Einhorn at 118dB/W not the Orgon.

I realise now it is just a driver not a loudspeaker. A whole loudspeaker at 118dB/W is most unlikely.

Assuming the 118 figure is true, it would have to apply at only one frequency, and that would need to be a frequency where it is beaming quite strongly.

After all, 118dB/W/m represents 100% efficiency (impossible) at an 80 degree radiation pattern.

Hence my curiosity.

Wish I could go.  :(

I was out of town and missed this, any reports?

Yep, I was lucky to get to this and meet Basil. Just had to get back to work to post the pics...

Well what can I say? You can paint me a horn enthusiast for the rest of time. I've always liked them and the Einhorn's that I heard were as good as I have heard. Fast, transparent and just plain engaging as hell. If you are after some verisimilitude in your musical reproduction look here! Thanks to Warrick for a wonderful afternoon and of course Basil who was passionate and generous with his knowledge.

The Einhorn's

horns3_zps468c2bd4.jpg

horns2_zps971ef2a7.jpg

horn1_zps8bf764fe.jpg

The Bullfrog's

bullfrog_zpsbe65c8ed.jpg

Hopefully I'll make it up to Phil's place with a real camera (these were taken on a P&S) to check out the Orgon's

3 people like this

I'm spewing I couldn't make it! Anyhow, I still have some things to discuss with Warwick, so hopefully he'll have them there ;)  

For those that were unable to attend the Brisbane demo and meet Basil Martion here are some pics of the system we heard.

post-104373-0-34272800-1360834641_thumb.

post-104373-0-64769300-1360834753_thumb.

post-104373-0-40412600-1360834818_thumb.

post-104373-0-05405600-1360834998_thumb.

1 person likes this

Sensational I'm sure the sound matched the aesthetics.......