Add a DAC or Mod the CDP?

I have a Pioneer PD-s707 Stable Platter CDP which I like very much and, short of finding a nice TEAC or Esoteric VRDS transport,I will be keeping it as my digital source. My question is, can this be hot-rodded to provide a real step up in performance or would adding a DAC be a better option regarding cost to performance ratio?

Cheers

m

A lot of good DACs for not a lot these days.

But if you are looking at modding, there is a thread over here that deals with the smaller bro' of that player http://www.diyaudio....er-pd-s507.html

Edit:Ah! Thorsten does not rate the dac chip highly in this player, so maybe best to use it as transport and go with a dedicated DAC.

Edited by datafone

I have a Pioneer PDS703 which has been fabulous since new in 94 . I recently purchased an Audio-GD 3.1 DAC to improve my Squeezebox and was very impressed with the sonic improvement to my Pioneer as well.

Pioneer provided an exceptional quality transport which still holds up very well but if an entry level Audio-GD improves it noticeably get a good DAC & enjoy it while it lasts. They are getting on though so probably not worth the risk of modding & risking other parts failing.

Just my POV.

Hi Mack, I would use the Pioneer as a transport but do a search regarding maximising the quality of the digital output from the player.

Alternatively ,going the easy route , purchase one of these : http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DIv3/DIv3EN.htm with the spidf input option to reclock the signal and using the I2S option feed the signal to one of Audio-gd's I2S capable dacs.

• 2 weeks later...

I faced similar situation with my Oppo player, contempting an upgrade or separate DAC. I ended using an external Rega DAC. Pretty happy so far.It has the advantage of feeding other digital inputs from my media player or PC...

Thomas

I've been led and also believe it's always better to have a single CDP player that has a good dac already inside, rather than have a separate transport and dac, because in the separates you have a clock for the dac and a clock for the transport,. It's always better to have a single clock for both.

You can what's called slave (word sync) the transport to the dacs clock, but this is a large and somewhat costly job that a good tech needs to do, and it has a separate connection between transport and clock as well as the usual digital data connection.

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

I've been led and also believe it's always better to have a single CDP player that has a good dac already inside, rather than have a separate transport and dac, because in the separates you have a clock for the dac and a clock for the transport,. It's always better to have a single clock for both.

You can what's called slave (word sync) the transport to the dacs clock, but this is a large and somewhat costly job that a good tech needs to do, and it has a separate connection between transport and clock as well as the usual digital data connection.

I concur with this.

If your collection is on CDs ... you don't have any other digital sources ... and you're not interested in DIY ..... Then a well-sorted CD player is the go. A transport, clock and DAC all in one box is an opportunity for a good foundation.

Yumcha thought .....

Modding digital circuits is not for the average guy .... Serious equipment and serious education are required.

I concur with this.

If your collection is on CDs ... you don't have any other digital sources ... and you're not interested in DIY ..... Then a well-sorted CD player is the go. A transport, clock and DAC all in one box is an opportunity for a good foundation.

Yumcha thought .....

Modding digital circuits is not for the average guy .... Serious equipment and serious education are required.

And my advice is to stick with a good implemented mutibit player (hard to find these days) and stay away from (S-D) Sigma Delta if dynamics rythym pace and jump factor are important to you.

If you like sweet detailed and easy go with the Sigma Delta or Hyper Stream(ess).

BTW as much as I don't mind the the Stable Plater system as a transport the dacs section in the PD-S707 is not so good being a kind of bit streamer with legato link and no amount of mods will make it a great dac section.

If your keen to keep the 707 as a transport then this would be a nice dac if he still has it as it uses PCM1704 multibit dacs chips one of my favourites and the last one that is still made by Bur Brown they cost big bucks these days to buy.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/46414-audio-gd-reference-7-ref7-s-in-brisbane/#entry781850

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

Thanks for the replies guys,

Once I get my analogue front-end sorted ( looking like 2019 at this stage...) I'll investigate the digital. The DAC add-on seems to be the way to go but if the planets align and a TEAC/ Esoteric transport or a Sony XA777 or similar falls into my lap at the right time for the right price...things will get interesting!!

Cheers

M

Add a DAC would be my advice.

+100

Those stable platter Pioneers were and are very nice players indeed. Just use the player as a stand alone transport and add a good dac and you will be sweet.

I wish I could get hold of one of those players in good condition for my quasi vintage collection

Just purchased a Teac P700 and it has made a huge improvement to my system. I use it with a Lite83 using 1704 uk. I'm no expert but a decent DAC with your transport would be the way to go. Then maybe upgrade your transport later. Steve.

+100

Those stable platter Pioneers were and are very nice players indeed. Just use the player as a stand alone transport and add a good dac and you will be sweet.

I wish I could get hold of one of those players in good condition for my quasi vintage collection

They are nice. I've got two. I'm using the 707 as it's the bigger, badder unit next to the PD-s7700...Problem is, the 707 is very fussy with what CD it'll play whereas the 7700 plays everything.

Cheers

M

Just purchased a Teac P700 and it has made a huge improvement to my system. I use it with a Lite83 using 1704 uk. I'm no expert but a decent DAC with your transport would be the way to go. Then maybe upgrade your transport later. Steve.

P700...nice. Ebay?

Nearly all the time the parts that wearout comprise the transport. A nice external dac will last many $50 dvd transports. ransport

It seems a shame to chuck away a good dac because the transport is failing. Having said that, I got an improvement in my cdp by opamp rolling before I got an external dac.