Power cable

Changing power cables on the CX3B's had a dramatic effect !!

But it's not just me. SGR have actually published a testimonial on their website, where the user feels that a 25% performance improvement was obtained on the CX3B's as a result of changing the cables on the system. Their words, not mine.

Or to look at it another way, SGR need to supply better power leads :D

Edited by KenTripp
  • Like 1

I was really hoping this was all a myth, as it is just another thing to spend money on god damn it!!!! :D

This really made me laugh eagle, because it's so true. Yeah, fark, not only the cost, more freaking variables to play with in the system - damn it !

It's endless all the changes we can make, to flavour the sound.

• Like 2

Haha, Ken, you believe the leads make a difference? :)

Do I believe that the often supplied crappy power leads with thin wire, crimped connections and cheap and nasty plugs and sockets can sound inferior to a properly built one.

Yep, good chance it could, depending on the equipment it's connected to.

But I don't believe that you need to spend mega bucks on these things nor do I believe a lot of the claims made as to the "improvement" in sound.

And I do have to laugh (quietly to myself of course) when I see several very expensive after market power leads plugged into a $6 4 way power board.

How many manufacturers supply anything more than a standard black power cable, like the one typically used to power your home PC?

How much more would one be willing to pay for such a thing as part of an active loudspeaker purchase, for example?

Do people expect the manufacturer to eat into their already tiny margin to supply something which a large proportion of their client base will see as unnecessary or, at worst, an endorsement of principles with highly questionable scientific merit? I feel that the safer bet is to offer a power cable which is both legally compliant and works (very well by all accounts) and then tell the customer that it is their prerogative to try whatever fancy cables they like and to accept responsibility for the resultant sonic outcome, be it good, bad or indifferent.

I personally use and recommend shielded power cables from Thoroughbred Audio, based in Melbourne. Last time I checked they sell for $143 for a 1.5 meter cable (terminated with heavy duty Clipsal plugs) plus $11 for each additional meter (per cable).

The types of DBTs conducted by most audio enthusiasts would never hold up to scientific rigour so I have to question their validity in drawing any meaningful conclusions. I do applaud ones efforts for trying, however.

• Like 1

How many manufacturers supply anything more than a standard black power cable, like the one typically used to power your home PC?

How much more would one be willing to pay for such a thing as part of an active loudspeaker purchase, for example?

You would hope that the manufacture had at least tested a whole range of these probably $2 cost price cables and included a better built example or in the case of gear costing several thousands of dollars had thrown caution to the wind and included $4 ones or better still included shielded power cables from Thoroughbred Audio.

They could always be offered as a factory option or is that left to the retailer so they can cream a few more dollars off the top.

Certainly works at HN, DSE, JB HifFi et al.

Edited by KenTripp

There is not enough margin in the sale of a Thoroughbred power cable to buy dinner for two at McDonalds (not that you would want to). Of course everyone has the option to purchase them with their active speakers or anything else for that matter if they feel that is important to them. I have not seen any better made (right here in Australia) cables for the asking price on the market.

Do people expect the manufacturer to eat into their already tiny margin to supply something which a large proportion of their client base will see as unnecessary or, at worst, an endorsement of principles with highly questionable scientific merit?

Manufacturers tiny margin....please spare me...I almost had to reach for my box of tissues then...Rob

• Like 1

I've used one of those Hong Kong Australian 3 prong plugs in the past. Two of the prongs had a weird taper and were quite thin in places. Pretty average quality IMHO - the Clipsal 1439SHD plug is far superior and only $6. I'd avoid these particular cables on this basis.

The best cheap power cable that I've seen is the following cable which uses silver-plated Martin Kaiser IECs and mains plugs, and Belden 19364 shielded cable:

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_2255wt_1271

One of the cheapest heavy duty DIY cables would have to be a Clipsal 1439SHD, the equivalent IEC connector (I will chase up the part number) and 1.5m of the orange HD 1.5mm2 or 2.5mm2 power cable off the reel from Bunnings or similar. The suitability of the 2.5mm is subject to the cable having a diameter of 10mm or less. The total parts cost would be around $20-25. Whack some techflex over the orange cable and it wont look half bad either!

I agree 100% re: getting a sparky to certify any such DIY cables. Definitely worth the effort.

Thanks for all the great info.A couple of weeks back I went looking for those Clipsal plugs (1439SHD) but I had no luck. All the usual suspects Middendorp, AWM, Lawrence and Hanson none of them had any and had never even stocked them.So if anyone knows who stocks them in the northern suburbs of Melbourne let me know please. They are also not available online AFAIK

Do I believe that the often supplied crappy power leads with thin wire, crimped connections and cheap and nasty plugs and sockets can sound inferior to a properly built one.

SGR supply properly built black cables, that don't feel cheap in anyway.

But the sound does change, when changing over to cables with Furutech plugs, and heavier gauge wire. It's dramatic.

But I don't believe that you need to spend mega bucks on these things nor do I believe a lot of the claims made as to the "improvement" in sound.

define mega bucks. I've tried Furutech vs Clipsal, on the same cord, and definetly prefer the Fututech. The Furutech plugs aren't cheap though, any pre-made cable with them that is certified will start at $300, and go up from there.

And I do have to laugh (quietly to myself of course) when I see several very expensive after market power leads plugged into a $6 4 way power board.

those who care about power cables, generally invest in other aspects of the power supply chain. Dedicated power runs, filters, regenerators, etc.

I use a thoroughbred sequential, it does a good job.

Edited by ozmillsy

I think the cables are excellent value because you are getting 8WG shielded cables with an Australian Plug. The Aussie plug by the way is the same type of plug used in Mainland China. I think heavy current handling capability with shielding are very important in home hifi.

In terms of difference in sound cables can make, I have experienced subtle changes for amps and subs going to heavy gauge cables from normal IEC types, and the shielding certainly has its place with the usual myriad of cables going everywhere. Once connecting such cables I haven't been able to distinguish sound improvements by swapping in very expensive cables. If the differences are there, they must be subtle and instead of spending big bucks on power chords, I would strongly recommend that a power regenerator or Balanced transformer will make a more significant improvement in sound quality - far more so than the equivalent value of power cables.

Edited by Tasso

it is refreshing to read a contrary opinion based on sound logic.

That said, I have heard many times the improvements that ( sensible ) cable upgrades can and do make.

Fantastic, the 1st sentence praises fact and logic, then comes out with the opposite - highly dubious opinion.

Sorry, when I say dubious, I mean, we don't believe you. Please give some facts - not "I have heard many times", or

"anyone who couldn't hear the differenc is deaf", remember it is a difficult sell, because the reality is that power cords make no difference

unless of course one cable is ridiculously underrated (in amps, not reputation).

This thread is like all the nongs put your hand up....AND THEY DO !!

Apart from a shielded cable, a decent RF shielded power board is a must. The ones I use are made of thick solid copper ( gold plated - see below) and are the only ones I have used in my system that completely eliminate interference and noise from other power sources. It has no filters but works much better than the audiophile filtered types I have tried.

jsaudio077.jpg

Edited by Tasso
  • Like 1

Fantastic, the 1st sentence praises fact and logic, then comes out with the opposite - highly dubious opinion.

Sorry, when I say dubious, I mean, we don't believe you. Please give some facts - not "I have heard many times", or

"anyone who couldn't hear the differenc is deaf", remember it is a difficult sell, because the reality is that power cords make no difference

unless of course one cable is ridiculously underrated (in amps, not reputation).

Yep.

if anyone would be full bottle on NONGS it would be you.

Nigel, pull your head in and piss off to another thread if you don't like this one.
  • Like 5

Dem's fightin' wordz Niggle! :P

Edited by GraemeB

I think you just put both your hands up :D

• Like 1

Thank you all for the input. Will let you know how my power cables journey progresses... Did not want this thread to become another war of opinions, but it is probably inevitable when the word "cable" is mentioned. I wish people who do not believe in cables making difference would just ignore the thread...

• Like 1

I wish people who do not believe in cables making difference would just ignore the thread...

Exactly.

I am pleased [ some ] people here could help. All the best and make sure you have fun :)

Edit: I am considering some Little Blue penguin power cables my self and they are priced very reasonably. They are made buy a forum member and have a great rep so I will keep you posted if you like.

Edited by rantan

Hey Tasso, that looks really interesting. I'd like to give it a try. Can I have the details.

Apart from a shielded cable, a decent RF shielded power board is a must. The ones I use are made of thick solid copper ( gold plated - see below) and are the only ones I have used in my system that completely eliminate interference and noise from other power sources. It has no filters but works much better than the audiophile filtered types I have tried.

jsaudio077.jpg

Hey Tasso, that looks really interesting. I'd like to give it a try. Can I have the details.

My particular ones are made by a Hong Kong company JAS Audio and I bought them from a store there called HIFI Tone. Here is the product link

http://www.hi-fi-ton...2/169812/173092

I bought them a couple of years ago and they were cheaper than the Isoclean units.

For the more adventurous they could try this but best handled by a qualified sparky

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4aad21380f

Edited by Tasso
  • Like 1

Would like to see if the power cable makes difference in my system. Do you guys think that this cable is worth the go:

http://www.ebay.com....=item4608a86775

Thanks in advance.

I would not trust or look at buying those cables they would not even comply to our australian standards ,

I use the vfm 1.5 from rkcable , worth having a look , cable prices start from $75.00

http://www.rkcable.com.au/VFMpowercord.htm