Cafad

Integrated Amps: An Addicts Guide.

354 posts in this topic

OK, I've got my hands on the Plessis S1 and it is an excellent piece of kit! The short description of it would be it is a Myryad with twice the grunt, a longer description requires more typing.

I tried the Plessis S1 with the QED speaker cables first and it was great in the mids and bass but in the highs it was twangy and very metallic, even moreso than my memories of the Rotel so I was not very fussed on its performance. Yesterday my LBP (little blue penguin) speaker cables arrived so without really thinking about the amp in use I hooked them up and gave them a listen. The harsh, metallic highs disappeared and the bass smoothed out (even though it was already quite nice) and suddenly the Plessis was a definite top 5 candidate. It's 80W on tap gives it the rumble that the Myryad doesn't quite have but the Myryad beats the Plessis on the liquiditiy of the lower mids. I put the Myryad back on trial with the new speaker cables and it was not fazed at all, I could not spot any significant difference in the sonic signature of this amp, even though the Plessis changed greatly with a change in speaker cable.

The big negative of the Plessis is that it seems to have a noisy volume pot (a negative for me but hardly likely to be a problem with every S1 on the market), the buzzing noise is bloody annoying between songs. It increases with the volume control and is present on all 4 inputs (with only one hooked up), so I am thinking volume pot, or maybe power supply. I'll have to see about fixing that because the performance of this little amp is too good to write off due to an issue like this. An awesome little amp which should be on more peoples demo lists, just be sure to team it with nice thick copper speaker wire.

An interesting point to note is that the Plessis S1 also uses the Toshiba 1943 transistors, as used in the Myryad Z142, Consonance C1, Burson PI-160 and at least one other amp I can't remember the identity of. Two per channel just like the Myryad, Rubicon capacitors throughout, just like the Myryad (though the S1 uses Rubicon main caps while the Myryad uses Nichicon main caps, both are rated the same though). So I suppose some simularity in sound could be expected. I'm going to play with my new speaker cables for a few days and then I might put that Musical Fidelity 220 through its paces.

Great write-up Cafad and thanks for detailed reviews of the integreated amps. Can't believe I missed this post for so long, but glad I found it. :)

Glad you like it vinilink.

I think I'm going to have to pass on the Accuphase, a few bills have cropped up and I was tempted by a pair of Perreaux SM60 monoblocks (they are still solid state so I only strayed from the path a little, I haven't caved in completely) that I bought on the strength of the performance of the little Perreaux SX25i. I'll have to make do with what I have already for a few months while my wallet puts on some badly needed weight.

I have a Rega Brio R, MF 220A and a little old HK integrated already bought and paid for (and that Linx Nebula that I keep forgetting about), I hope that is enought to last me through this dark, lonely time.

Now I know how junkies feel! Does anyone know if there is an audio equivalent of methodone?

I know how you feel Cafad, I have a similar addiction to standmount speakers. Over the last 8-10 months I have owned:

• Usher S520
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.1
  • Dynaudio Excite X12
  • Dynaudio DM 2/7
  • Monitor Audio Silver RX2
  • ProAc Studio 110
  • ATC SCM7
  • Rega RS1

Got some Dynaudio Focus 110's on the way, maybe some ATC SCM11's and possibly even the EB Accoustics EB1 if I can stretch to them as well... :lol:

I know how you feel Cafad, I have a similar addiction to standmount speakers. Over the last 8-10 months I have owned:

• Usher S520
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.1
  • Dynaudio Excite X12
  • Dynaudio DM 2/7
  • ProAc Studio 110
  • ATC SCM7
  • Rega RS1

Got some Dynaudio Focus 110's on the way, maybe some ATC SCM11's and possibly even the EB Accoustics EB1 if I can stretch to them as well... :lol:

Mate, I think you should start another addicts review thread. I know I'd be keen to read about which pair does what better than the others.

Thanks RR, and don't worry, I'll keep the thread going it will just be forced to slow down for a while.

Now I know how junkies feel! Does anyone know if there is an audio equivalent of methodone?

CDs, they contain the substance but just dont have the hit one gets from vinyl

• Usher S520
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.1
  • Dynaudio Excite X12
  • Dynaudio DM 2/7
  • ProAc Studio 110
  • ATC SCM7
  • Rega RS1

Please start a new thread and tell us what you think.

Sp good to hear opinions from forum members

Glad you like it vinilink.

I think I'm going to have to pass on the Accuphase, a few bills have cropped up and I was tempted by a pair of Perreaux SM60 monoblocks (they are still solid state so I only strayed from the path a little, I haven't caved in completely) that I bought on the strength of the performance of the little Perreaux SX25i. I'll have to make do with what I have already for a few months while my wallet puts on some badly needed weight.

I have a Rega Brio R, MF 220A and a little old HK integrated already bought and paid for (and that Linx Nebula that I keep forgetting about), I hope that is enought to last me through this dark, lonely time.

Waiting for the Rega review!

Please start a new thread and tell us what you think.

Sp good to hear opinions from forum members

Allright, when I find the time I'll start a new thread with a write-up on each speaker, inlcuding pics. :thumb:

Edited by twwen2
1 person likes this

Great idea Twwen2 as I'm a bit of a speaker nut as well so keen to hear your opinions.

1 person likes this

Waiting for the Rega review!

I think a few people are. But I am afraid they will all have to wait at least a few more days as it has yet to arrive at my door. Once it does I'll put it through its paces pretty quick, since I also happen to be one of those people waiting.

Allright, when I find the time I'll start a new thread with a write-up on each speaker, inlcuding pics. :thumb:

Excellent!!!! SNA needs more reviews.

The more reviews we have access to the more informed us SNA'ers can be, the more informed we are the more dangerous we become so let's all help make SNA a more dangerous place to be. Metaphorically at least!

1 person likes this

The only issue with reviews is that they're very subjective. Especially as the other components in the system keep changing around the speakers. For example, I only heard my earlier speakers with the Brio-R and Rega DAC. It was only recently that I acquired an amp with a more substantial amount of power to properly drive some of the more innefficient speakers - I wonder for instance what the Usher S520's would have sounded like with 120W up their bum...

1 person likes this

The only issue with reviews is that they're very subjective. Especially as the other components in the system keep changing around the speakers. For example, I only heard my earlier speakers with the Brio-R and Rega DAC. It was only recently that I acquired an amp with a more substantial amount of power to properly drive some of the more innefficient speakers - I wonder for instance what the Usher S520's would have sounded like with 120W up their bum...

You have a good point there, but every review is going to be subjective and I would think that SNA forum members are more likely to try out gear with more appropriate auxilary equipment than the reviewers in HiFi magazines. Notice the professionals always compare the amp/player/speaker with another that is 2 to 4 times the price? And connect it up to gear of much higher quality than it is likely to ever be paired with in the real world. We can do a much more meaningful comparo with another piece of gear that is actually a viable alternative (ie: in the same price range) and that is what most of us are interested in, no one really expects a $1k amp/player/speaker to sound better than a $3k model. We can perform real comparos and because we are not being paid to do it we can write up our opinions in an honest fashion.

Edited by Cafad
2 people like this

2 great threads, thanks guys and keep up the good work.

I wouldn't know which words to use to describe the sound I hear, you seem to me a great wordsmith Cafad.

I'm not sure I'd go that far Batty, I'm an above-average wordsmith with a fair amount of spare time and very thick thesaurus. I also have occassional bouts of insomnia, so that helps quite a bit with the writing.

I'm working on the Brio R at the moment and I need both thesaurus and dictionary on this one (I save the insomnia for emergencies!).

Looking forward to the Brio-R write up :).

Me too. It's my favorite amp and the one that I will not sell for many years to come. I just wish Rega would hurry up and release a "Mira-R" with a few more watts than the little Brio-R.

I am afraid there will be a slight delay in the Brio R write up. I've spent about 8 hours or so this weekend listening and slowly developing an opinion of the Brio R and I just couldn't work out what was going on in the upper bass and lower mids, it just seemed to be varying a little and I couldn't get a grip on it.

So I fired off a PM to Stu and asked him how many hours were on it, he said 10 to 12, plus my 8 or so makes about 20. That would explain it, it is hard for me to figure out how it sounds when it is not yet sure itself, I've got it running in now so watch this space Wednesday/Thursday because it was sounding pretty damn good even between hours 10 and 20.

Cheers!

Me too. It's my favorite amp and the one that I will not sell for many years to come. I just wish Rega would hurry up and release a "Mira-R" with a few more watts than the little Brio-R.

I am beginning to understand what you mean. This is one very special amp, most amps couldn't sound that smooth if they were triple polished and then dipped in teflon. And if the upper mids were any more fluid I would have to open the door and allow the room to drain after each song. Oh it's good, my word it's good.

1 person likes this

I'm going to start this review with a question, Has anyone out there ever heard an amp that sounds quite like the Brio R?

I have to say I have not, and I have been through a fair number in the last 18 months. This little amp sounds warm, firm, controlled, unrushed and most of all smooth, there isn't a sharp edge to be found anywhere in its presentation. And, while it sounds warm it feels even slightly warmer than it sounds, it seems to do this with the most amazing transient vibrations that lie on the edges and between sounds that allow different instruments to blend seemlessly together and all the while these transients are tickling the insides of your auditory cannal and increasing your anticipation of the sounds to follow.

The Brio R gives the most enticing portrayal of Norah Jones that I have ever heard, now I am not really a Norah fan, her music is nice but I am only really using her for her voice and her production values so when evaluating a new amp I tend to listen through the first 2, 3 or 4 songs on her Come Away With Me album. The Brio R sounded so entrancing that I had reached song 7 before I realized that I had got past song 4.

Vocals and single instruments are this amps true strengths, it does rock and multiple instruments very well but it really shines in the details of a slightly sparse musical score.

The highs are, in a word, beautiful. They are soft, sweet and airy and hang forever without being harsh in any way.

The mids are pushed a little forward in the soundstage I think, so that the vocals and most main instruments sound like they are literally in front of the backing instruments.

The bass is smooth, deepish and warm, it doesn't sound tight but does not feel loose in any way either. The upper and mid bass are so smooth, rich and creamy that I could swear that one of the designers was a prestige Belgian Chocolatier. And like good chocolate, the bass makes you want more, and so you listen longer. This is one piece of audio gear that can make entire nights just disappear in a blissful trance of ecstatic sonic presentation.

Now having said all that I have to go back to the first line, the Brio R does not really sound like any other amp and so, while it is mightily impressive, it is very hard to place in my preferences list. I am going to have to have a head to head between it and the Myryad but until that happens I'll give the Myryad the (temporary!) benefit of the doubt and slot the Brio R in at second place, just ahead of the Plessis S1.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cafad
      A few weeks ago I purchased a YBA Heritage A100 integrated amp.  That amp performed so well that I found myself wondering if it was worth picking up the associated Heritage CD100 player as well.  So I wondered and I googled and I ordered based on what I found.  I must say, I am glad I did.  The YBA components compliment each other very well.

There are already several pics of the A100 in my 'Addicts Guide' thread but none of the CD100 so let's correct that shall we?

Not the greatest pic but it does show off those toggle switches.  Once you've experienced toggle switches you won't go back to buttons, toggles are so much more tactile than buttons.

And an internal shot, note the R core power supply.  It may not be important to some but to me the fact that those opamps are mounted in a "press in" manner that enables me to roll them with ease is a very big thing.  There will be some Burson discretes tested out in this puppy by the end of the month.  

Edit:  I just noticed I left the cd in for this pic, I do recall the YBA doing a very nice rendition of the "Gregorian Masters of Chant" album.  Great atmosphere on that album.  I also seem to be wearing my uggies, what an overly informative picture.

And the required 'action shot'.

I have yet to get to the details of this review (however it is a long weekend for me so I should be done by Monday night) so this first post is more a preview.

The YBA gear gives great atmosphere, almost as effectively as the Sansui AU5900 actually.  Where the Sansui uses a whole heap of warmth to impart its atmosphere the YBA's utilize a fullness of tone to achieve a similar effect.  It feels like there is more meat in the middle of each note with the YBA combo and that makes the bass sound more full (not deeper or faster but it feels like it has more staying power, you can really sink your teeth into it), lets the mid range fill out the soundstage and tonally fleshes out the top end as well (piano is an absolute delight through the YBAs).  

The toggle switches on the cd player really work for me, for some reason it is so much more satisfying to use a toggle switch than it is to just press a button.  On a more practical note it also allows for two functions per switch, up for one and down for another so YBA can utilize all the usual functions without crowding what is otherwise a very clean looking face plate.  The coax input on the back is a nice addition too, so the player can double as a single input DAC.

The only thing I have found that displeases me about the YBA Heritage gear so far involves the functionality of the remote control.  There is no 'punch through' function on anything, so if you have selected the cd player and you want to change the volume you have to select the amp button first or the volume button is inactive.  Similarly if you want to change the track that is playing and you have just adjusted the volume then you have to select the cd player first, otherwise the track forward and back buttons are inactive.  A 'punch through' function on the volume control would have been nice.  I will say this for the remote though, it is extremely well balanced.

I'm very impressed with the YBA Heritage gear and that is without any reference to the price.  At two to two and a half K per component I would say they were a good buy but since they cost $1650 for the amp and $1299 for the cd player I would say they are a screaming bargain.  (they are on special though, normal RRP is $2K for the amp and $1550 for the spinner, including postage, mine were purchased from A1 Future Shop)

• By Cafad
      I've already reviewed the Ragnarok in my "Addicts Guide" thread but it made such a positive impression on me that I thought it deserved a thread all of its own.  I'll cut and paste the review and the contents of a few following posts to make this first post a summary of the Ragnarok experience and then I'll continue with my cable and preamp experimentation here.

Schiit Ragnarok.

I’ve wanted to try something by Schiit for a while now but...well… I didn’t really need another DAC or pre and I don’t own a decent set of headphones, so it didn’t happen.  Until Schiit decided to manufacture an integrated amp (the loyalists seem to view it as a headphone amp that just happens to be so powerful it can run a pair of speakers, but to me it looks a lot like an integrated amp) now we were talking!

The first thing I noticed was that the amp runs slightly hotter than your average pie warmer, not only should it not be placed in an enclosed cabinet I wouldn’t even place it under a shelf.  However, if placed on a surface with plenty of space above and around it then it does seem to be pretty happy with running hot (in other words my custom cooling fan is not actually required). 
      The second thing I noticed was that its gain settings are slightly lower than I am used to, 9 o’clock on the volume dial on most amps will require the Ragnarok to be turned to between 12 and 1 o’clock.  It isn’t really a big thing, but it is something you will definitely notice.

On the specs front we have 5 inputs, 2 balanced and 3 RCA and one of each for the preamp output stage.  60wpc into 8 Ohms should drive 98% of speakers so no great concerns there (and I’ve found 3 separate cases on the web where testers have used the Ragnarok to power KEF LS50s, they require serious current, so this figure may well be on the low side of the actual number of watts on tap), nicely done Schiit.  I also notice that Schiit do not list an input impedance for the Ragnarok, odd, but again, no big thing.

I was using my Consonance cd120 as a source, feeding into the Ragnarok via Aurealis R1 interconnects and then into my Lenehan/ETI S2R speakers via Redgum  speaker cables. 

Highs: Trumpets are nice and raspy without being hard or harsh, triangles and piano twinkle gloriously and delicately, cymbals and brushes are very crisp but not harsh.  One of the best top ends I have yet heard on an integrated amp.  9.0

Mids:  Clean, clear, uncluttered and beautiful to behold.  Every instrument feels like it is happy to play its part and is given its own space to do so.  Acoustic hang time feels very natural.  It is just fun to listen to!  8.5

Bass:  Very well behaved, articulate and defers to the mids and highs as required.  Also clean and smooth with nice detail.  8.0

Vocals: 
      Female:  9.0  The most natural and pleasantly real vocals I have heard from an integrated amp.    
      Male:  9.0  Personally I’d rather be listening to the ladies than the guys but the Ragnarok makes not such distinctions.  The vocals are given an ever so slight preference over the instruments, the vocals floated just slightly above the centre of my system and none of the instruments was allowed to get too close to them.  The effect was very much like placing the singer out in front and then wrapping the band around them in a semi-circle.  It was a very convincing effect.

2D Soundstaging:  9.0  The instrument separation also extends to stereo effects and placement within the soundstage.   None of the instruments feel like they are locked into place it just feels like they are floating very still. 

Overall Performance Integration: 
      Brilliant clarity and a good sense of rhythm combine with the soundstaging, the vocals, the imaging and the clear top end to present the impression that this amp not only knows how to spell words like “enunciationâ€, “iambic pentameter†and “spatial differentiation†it also understands what they mean and why they are important.  This is one piece of audio componentry that has been put through a very prestigious finishing school.  9.0

Ability to Emote: 
      Once you start to listen it’s got you, you can stop listening if you want to, but why would you do that?  8.0  (as a minimum, it rates higher once the ladies start to sing)

Electric Guitar Test:
      8.0  It’s good, don’t get me wrong it is very good, but it needs the soul of a rebel to do any better than this and it is too refined to be that rebellious.

80’s Rock Test:
      8.0  Again, it’s very good but it’s calm and collected enough that it won’t go above an eight. 

The Ragnarok has impressed me greatly, it is a very detailed amp without a single trace of harshness to its sound.  The vocals are clean, natural and a joy to listen to and instruments are very true to life without being fatiguing. 

Could I live with the Ragnarok long term?  Hell yes!  

I've also been playing about with the Ragnarok as a preamp.  I had a session with it feeding the ME580 last night and it was pretty good, more prominent bass (of course!) and a top end that didn't seem to lose anything at all but the vocals just didn't retain their magic and the more prominent bass got in the way (if only slightly) of the mid and upper treble.  I swapped ICs between the Rag and the 580 from Aurealis to Furutech Alphas and got some more breath into the vocals and a little more mid range flesh but I didn't like the effect on the bass or the slight softening of the top end.  All in all it was not a bad combo but not as well put together as the Ragnarok on its lonesome, the boys at Schiit did a very good job of matching the pre and power stages on this puppy.

I've also got the Exposure Classic 28/Ragnarok to try.
      The Exposure/Schiit combo is very interesting, reminds me of a more refined Sansui 5900 in many ways.  It's got that velvety exposure warmth and more breath to the vocals but the instrument separation just isn't there.  It loses some detail and the delicate frequency balance is thrown out too,  even so, it is quite more-ish!  Sounds a little too much like vinyl to me, but I'm sure some would like it.

One thing I have definitely noticed is that the volume dial position is only slightly above where I expect it to be when the Ragnarok is used as a preamp so it seems the power amp section of the Rag' has slightly lower gain than most.  As I've said before it isn't really an issue but it is something that is easily noticed.

I'm running the Ragnarok with my Halcro DM38 right now and the results are astounding, I'll get to the details later but for now let's just go with astounding.  I've found this combo to be quite cable sensitive so it is taking some time to fine tune.

I've yet to get to the Burson Timekeepers, but I will.  Then I'll have to try some different sources too.
    • By Cafad
      I've mentioned the circumstances surrounding the appearance of the RGi35ENR at my place of residence over in the addicts guide thread  (post #95 for those who are curious).  I've re-posted the pics pics above from there, they are the only ones I've got and we can't have a review thread without a few pics.  

You know, sometimes I forget what it is that I’m looking for in an integrated amp.  Am I looking for perfection?  Well… sure… why not, but I’m enough of a realist that I’m not actually expecting to find it. 
      Am I looking for extended highs (because I do like them!), sweet mids, natural mids, sexy vocals, deep bass…   I could go on and on. 
      But I think what I’m looking for is an enjoyable presentation, one that entertains.  And I’m not really that fussy on the details (not until I put on my critical hat and reach for my clipboard anyway) I’m just after an amp that I will enjoy listening to, everything else is secondary.  Most of the amps I’ve managed to get my hands on over the past few years have sounded pretty good, there were only really 3 that I had serious “lack of appreciation†issues with and it wasn't so much that they did things badly it was more that they did things in a way that I really didn’t like.  Listening to them was still a worthwhile learning experience (even if I didn’t choose to do it for very long).  I am happy to say that the ‘35ENR has provided me with another learning experience, and quite a pleasant one to boot.

Now I’ve been sent this REDGUM RGi35ENR Black Series (by accident, or possibly due to the wish I made when I saw that shooting star last week) to add to my amp experiences and I am happy to say that I quite like it.  It’s got the kahunas of a paratrooper, more bass than a guitar shop and enough honesty that it could never hope to get itself elected to parliament.  All of these are good things, but I’ve come unstuck in the past a few times now where I’ve discovered that even though I thought an amp performed great in initial listening they turned out to have a serious flaw or two once I put on my chosen test disc and put pen to paper so, let us get down to brass tacks shall we?

The cables in use for this test were Aurealis ICs from source to amp and REDGUM speaker cables.  The source was my usual Consonance cd120 and the speakers were my Lenehan/ETI S2R stand mounts.  The ‘35ENR is rated at 65wpc and sports some pretty decent power claims down into 2 Ohms, if you want all the details I suggest you check out the indiegogo link here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/redgum-black-signature-series-amplifier-project
      Or one of the SNA links, news here:   https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/redgum-black-signature-series-amplifier-project
      And discussion thread here:  http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/66328-21-years-of-redgum-so-something-special-had-to-happen/

Highs:
      Triangle is bigger and bolder than ever with a longer ring out (or hang) time, trumpet seems to be ever so slightly smoothed/sweetened (so not quite as raspy as usual) but it retains its identity well (ie it’s still very distinctly a trumpet), Piano is similar, just ever so slightly less crisp and more sweet than I’m used to, not enough of a change to annoy just enough to indicate a distinct personality.  This is the first time I’ve heard ‘slightly sweetened’ upper treble that I actually enjoyed. 
      Mids:
      I had a bit of a hard time coming up with words here, eventually I coined the phrase
      ‘naturally, neutrally, pleasant, and just a little bit mellow’
      to describe the mid range presentation of the ‘35ENR.
      Bass:
      Provides extra large helpings of Strong, Deep, Fast, Hard and Solid Bass.  At lower volume levels the bass sits happily and unobtrusively in line with the top end and the mids but when you up the volume it really kicks in.  At these higher volume levels it can intrude on the higher frequencies and hide some of the detail of them, however if you are listening at these volumes then it is unlikely that you would be seeking those details and more likely that you would be trying to drive your friends from the room (or possibly your neighbours from the street).  There is a massive amount of bass on tap for an amp of this wattage rating.  Very impressive.
      7.75 (was to be an 8.0 but I marked it down 0.25 due to the occasional bass intrusion)

Vocals: 
      Very much the same as the mid range, the vocals seem to a bit understated but end up being very captivating all the same.  The REDGUM doesn’t seem to exerting an influence over them in any way, they certainly aren’t sweetened, softened or smoothed, they seem untouched.   An example of less is more maybe?  It certainly makes the vocals very hard to score, I’m going to go with a 7.5 as I did with the mid range, but keep in mind that if ‘un-interfered with vocals’ is what you are after then this should be an 8.0 or 8.5.

2D Soundstaging:
      I have to make mention of this, the ‘35ENR has a massive level of channel separation, so much so that many vocals and instruments that I am used to hearing ‘smack bang in the middle of the speakers’ migrated to the left or right by up to a meter (for a few songs there I must have looked like I was watching a tennis match, my head was turning left and right so often).   This is a pretty damn cool effect (IMO, obviously), you could almost call it ‘enhanced stereo’.  Now I stopped giving scores for soundstaging a while back, and this is a pity because here the little REDGUM excels.  If I was awarding scores this one would have to be a 9.0.

3D Soundstaging:
      Pretty much as expected, it would score somewhere between 6 and 7, maybe 7.5, which was a bit of a let down after the 2D result above. 

Overall Performance Integration:
      Loves its transients, puts out a very dynamic and solid performance that it is generally happy to let the bass take the lead in (at higher volumes anyway), the highs and mids can be surprisingly delicate and detailed at times but the amp does like to remind the listener that it really likes to emphasise its bass performance.  This is one of those amps that loves everything to change, while it doesn’t mind nice mellow flowing music it absolutely loves big dips and crashes.  In some ways it puts me in mind of a 20 year old with a new sports car, he’s always smiling but he’s smiling wider when he’s accelerating, braking or changing direction.

Ability to Emote:
      I’m going to split this in two here and award one score for the mids and highs and one for the bass.
      7.0 (mids and highs) a nice light allure that slowly and gently drags you in, that naturalness speaks to you but it does it a bit slowly since it takes a little time to work out exactly what it is you are hearing.
      8.5 (bass) Grabs you by the scruff of the neck, drags you to the end of the pier, wraps a chain around your left foot and then throws you (and the two bricks attached to the other end of the chain) off the end.  Even if you are not a fan of it, you are definitely going to react to that bass!

Electric Guitar Test:
      7.5, very good but that natural mid range doesn’t quite let me hear the ‘feedback edge’ that I like.  Luckily this score increases to 8.0 if you crank the volume over 85db.

80’s Rock Test:
      7.0  Perfectly adequate but just not outstanding.  I may try some other 80’s rock just to confirm.

Comments:
      Another amp that is just that little bit different to most.  It’s been a long time between drinks in my chosen hobby lately but at least I can say that those drinks have been ‘strong and interesting’ ones.  Since REDGUM use a passive volume control I was expecting to hear some of that softening of the leading edge of notes that I heard with the ME240 (particularly when I ran it without a low impedance source) and/or the mellow liquid sound/effect of the Exposure 2010S2.  I could hear it (to a lesser extent) with the REDGUM RGM175 system I had previously too, so it was pretty surprising to discover that it just didn’t happen with the ‘35ENR.  Good stuff!

In fact, there is very little about the sonic signature of this amp that reminds me about the RGM175 system that I had recently.  Admittedly it was 5 years old and this amp is about 5 minutes old so that may well explain it.  I will say that I like the ‘35ENR more than the RGM175 though, and I’m not sure that all of that difference can be said to be due to my ‘soft spot’ for integrated amps.  I’m thinking those three initials make quite a difference.

Another thing I discovered was that the amp is sensitive enough to easily display the difference between 2 DACs, I had the REDGUM CD5ENR hooked up and was doing some swapping back and forth between it and my Consonance cd120 and found that the character of the amp changed significantly when I switched between the two, the bass increased by at least 10% with the CD5 ENR, and was pushed out by 2 or 3 feet which separated it (in the soundstage) from the top end and the mids which seemed to stay where they already were, in between the speakers.  Now I know the two players have quite different sounding character but it is rare to find an integrated amp that can display that change in character so vividly (if only they all did then there would be far fewer people walking around claiming that DACs don’t make a difference).  That is a definite feather in the little REDGUM’s cap.

All of this is about in line with what I would expect to get in an integrated amp in the two to two-point-five thousand dollar range (I’m talking Aussie dollars here).  It certainly fits in with many other amps I’ve heard that sit in that price range.  But… it isn’t in that price range… is it?

OK, so now that I’ve typed somewhere around 1700 words about the integrated amp in question, how about I try it out as a power amp?  If I wind the volume pots fully open then I can, and, to my way of thinking, if I can then I really should.   And quickly, before anyone asks for it back.
    • By Cafad
      Item:  One Onkyo 9070 Integrated Amp with only 300 hours on the clock.
      Price:  $950 including postage to the eastern states
      Item Condition:  As new with manual, remote and original packaging.
      Reason for selling:  Really didn't like the sound of this series of Onkyo amps, far too soft for my liking.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD, Direct Deposit.
      Extra Info:  Originally bought to use as a bit of a round robin amp to send around so that people can get a comparative idea of how things sound I was hoping that the new Onkyo series could be used as a foundation reference point for my integrated amp comparisons but there is no point in using an amp that I don't like the sound of as a reference point (well, OK, maybe there is, but it wouldn't be much fun, so it's up for sale).  Would work brilliantly on bright or forward speakers since it is a very withdrawn and soft sounding amp.  It is sort of an anti-Rotel.
      Pictures:

• By demoiree
      Item: Yamaha A-S 700 integrated amp
      Price: 600 Ono
      Item Condition: great condition with only superficial marks
      Reason for selling: upgrading
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: http://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s700__l/?mode=model&transfer=pc&_ga=1.177908322.630512437.1396869875
      Pictures: 
  • Please support our sponsors ...