gainphile

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 EQ

Very interesting, I have been tempted to try something similar with my AD900 cans, will have a better read over the weekend!

Mick35   

Very Nice Gainphile. I always thought they are a great sounding headphone. Sound reminds me of the AKG 701/702, but easier to drive. How do they sound Now?

Thanks. I'm not experienced with headphones at all, so I haven't really sampled the best ones out there.

But these are stunning tonally.

Mick35   

Headfiers will really like this cheap and cheerful tweak G. I've got some xover parts and might give it a go myself actually.

ayou2   

I got a pair for Xmas. Really like them, very unfatigueing sound, can listen for hours and comfy too, as long as its not hot / humid, but any over ear is gonna do that.

Drive OK off an IPod, which is more than can be said for most serious or semi serious HP's.

But I mostly plug them into my amp & cd set up, which sounds better, more of everything.

Must have a go at the correction device, that is impressive, good work gainphile.

Janjuc   

Hi,

I've had a pair for ~ 6 months, usually run :

iPod Classic, all music AIFF > iPure i20 > audio-gd NFB 5 > AT ATH-AD700 / Shure SRH840

to me the AT's sound better with 'Prog Rock style' music, whereas the Shures sound better with harder rock and Bach organ music ....

JJ

Edited by Janjuc

I'm guessing this is a discussion reserved for those who can interpret graphs? I''m new to this audio game so this kind of thing is still esoteric to me.

Mick35   

I'm guessing this is a discussion reserved for those who can interpret graphs? I''m new to this audio game so this kind of thing is still esoteric to me.

Hi Suopermanni,

I'll try to explain. What you see in the graphs, is a measured frequecy response of the new headphones gainphile has purchased. To do this you need a measuring microphone a mic pre amp a computer with some measuring software. In this case the software is ARTA. What you see in the first graph is the headphones frequency as they are right out of the box. The FR looks very choppy, and you'll be able to hear it. I have the seme headphones and I already know they don't sound flat to my ears. In the second graph you see the same headphones being measured, but this time the signal source has passed through a simple passive correction network (Crossover) this has flattened the FR considerably. The sound will be far far smoother and even, possibly less irritating more easy to listen to for longer periods. What is believed in audio is that one should strive for as flat a FR as possible. The downside is that a 'Flat' frequency Response doesn't always sound 'Right' or correct. The resulting sound of a 'Flat' response can be 'Dry' 'Unemotional' and for lack of a better word 'Flat' sounding LOL! The beauty and genius of this simple little experiment is that if you apply the correction filter and don't like the sound, just enjoy the headphones without it. If on the other hand you listen for long periods of time then this little mod may just be what you need.

It forms a RL low pass filter.

fc = R/2piL (fc = cutoff freq ie freq at which -3dB attenuation acheived; R ~ 32ohm for AD700 from memory; L = 1.56mH inductance)

Have a look at - http://www.falstad.com/circuit/e-filt-lopass-l.html - with the values above and you'll see frequency response of the filter. This is assuming the headphone is mostly resistive which isn't quite true and means the high pass filter is probably a bit higher because the headphone driver has some series inductance of its own which should be added to the respective values above.

This gives cuttoff freq ~ 3.2kHz which is where the measured response was getting pretty ragged and starting to climb up. This low pass filter pulls the climbing response of the headphones back to reasonably flat. I am guessing inductance chosen was selected by what was easily available in values close to what was desired.

Why exactly did you choose 1.56mH?

Thanks for the explanations above which are 100% correct. In this case I had assumed the 32 ohms impedance of the headphones.

The 1mH + 0.56 mH inductors were chosen as I already had them and Jaycar sold those values.

But in fact I found out that soundlabsgroup is selling 1.5mH inductors. That would be much neater option:

1.5mH (1mm copper) inductor, $15: http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/MU-AC1m5-1mm/1.5mH+-+0.62+Ohm+1mm+Copper+Air+Core+Coil

or if feeling rich: :)

1.5mH (foil copper) inductor, $37: http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/MU-AC1m5-CFC16/1.5mH+-+0.47+Ohm+Cu+Foil+Air+Core+16AWG

I really like what you have done here, better than the usual "replace the cable and everything becomes insert hyperbole here" rant on HF. I personally didn't really like the AD700 (or 900 i can't remember) but it was the treble that I wasn't fond of so this would be interesting to listen to. Keep it up

Guy

ssb102   

It forms a RL low pass filter.

fc = R/2piL (fc = cutoff freq ie freq at which -3dB attenuation acheived; R ~ 32ohm for AD700 from memory; L = 1.56mH inductance)

Have a look at - http://www.falstad.c...t-lopass-l.html - with the values above and you'll see frequency response of the filter. This is assuming the headphone is mostly resistive which isn't quite true and means the high pass filter is probably a bit higher because the headphone driver has some series inductance of its own which should be added to the respective values above.

This gives cuttoff freq ~ 3.2kHz which is where the measured response was getting pretty ragged and starting to climb up. This low pass filter pulls the climbing response of the headphones back to reasonably flat. I am guessing inductance chosen was selected by what was easily available in values close to what was desired.

So why not just do this with a DSP? That way you could flatten the curve completely.

Arg   

Very Nice Gainphile. I always thought they are a great sounding headphone. Sound reminds me of the AKG 701/702, but easier to drive. How do they sound Now?

yes, nice post Gainphile. I have the AD700 and the AKG 701, they sound very different!

To me the AD700 do not sound too bright.

P.S. I got mine for free! :huh: So maybe I'm biased, nothing can sound bad at that price.....

I must say, sticking a mic in the headphone is not the way to get a FR for headphones. Using that method, the original FR might be closer to target than the 'after' FR.

I must say, sticking a mic in the headphone is not the way to get a FR for headphones. Using that method, the original FR might be closer to target than the 'after' FR.

I have thought about this too but couldn't think of a practical alternative ... any ideas?

Edited by zman

Arg   

I have thought about this too but couldn't think of a practical alternative ... any ideas?

It's a pretty big topic. Here is a link to one reasonable approach, but I'm not convinced they are using the exact best compensation curve.

I was reading this article - http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/first-test-estimated-harman-target-response-curve-various-headphones - this morning and it reminded me of this thread so here I am digging it back up again from it's former resting place. I never did get around to EQing my AD900 headphones but now I think I need to chew over this new development in terms of targets and see if I can come up with something.

Looking at the raw measurement here for my AD900 I think I might just shelve up the bass with DSP and leave the rest alone. 

Edited by hochopeper