Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

Guest Hensa

Mike Batt 
Think I got this one from [mention=112573]progladyte[/mention]

image.thumb.jpeg.68841409d11dd0eff22b6968a363a1ae.jpeg

Had never heard of Mike Batt but recognised the cover from your post. Sure enough I have a copy, not in the best shape, that's been sitting in my 'to clean' stack. A quick rcm and up and running - very good, like it a lot!

6a0ac3193ba7aa61f98e896be50075dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was the producer (or something) of a couple (one?) of Steeleye Span albums in the early 80s.  About "Rocket Cottage" time.  [I could look it up if desired]

I have "Tarot Suite" on CD (first release or close too). 

The 1979 vinyl of "Tarot" and 1980 "Waves" are up in the garage.  Yeah, I don't do vinyl at all.

• Like 1

The musos on Mike Batt's Tarot Suite were responsible for the short guitar clip that used to be played on a Sydney radio station for about 25 years. Was it JJJ possibly?

Here's a YT clip that I managed to locate although it sounds a bit different to what I recall hearing when I lived in Sydney all those centuries ago./

Skip forward to the 3.10 minute mark and all will be revealed.

Mike Batt was a very clever musician who used to call on his mates to help out from time to time (Rory Gallagher on guitar / Roger Chapman from Family etc.

His sound was very pastoral as he was accompanied by the Mike Batt Orchestra so the songs included what you might expect from a sound track to a quality movie. He uses instrumental like the Cor Anglais to great effect for example. Although they don't sound alike the overall effect is somewhat reminiscent of the LP,  "War of The Worlds" in that both albums develop gradually with an orchestral movement from various parts of a song. I'm having trouble trying to find someone similar as he is quite unique in some respects but there is no denying the quality of what he has recorded over the years.

Songs such as "Winds of Change" / "Railway Hotel", "Monah", "Lady of the Dawn", Losing Your Way In The Rain",  "Fishing For The Moon" which although slow ballads, are really very nicely done. My wife really enjoys hearing this guy so I ensure we take some CDs along when heading out bush.

If you manage to find any of his albums in playable condition, I'd certainly give them a hearty endorsement. Most copies I found years ago were hacked to death so one can rightly assume the previous owner liked the contents too.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, progladyte said:

Have you not heard this album before Paul?

Have heard it - yes 

But not for a long time 

I am playing & cataloging all my albums on discogs and posting on the record spinning thread as I go 

• Like 2

Guest Eggcup The Daft
On 8/9/2017 at 4:30 PM, Hergest said:

I could of course Google this but is this Mike Batt the same chap that created the Wombles? If so then I didn't know him outside of that children's spin off.

Yes, that's the one. He also got sued for ripping off John Cage's 4'33' for piano (the work that "consists of ambient sounds"... since his version "One minute of silence" was credited to Batt/Cage, he didn't have much of a defence.

And he wrote "Bright Eyes" among a large batch of pop songs.

But don't let that stuff put you off. Some of his albums really are worth a listen.

Spinning this album now for the third time 

IMG_7403.thumb.JPG.5c051c14650ea6af9f9fef7bf30e5113.JPG

Close To The Edge is the one piece of music that I want to e played at my funeral, broken into three parts for the arrival, the contemplation of what a fine fellow I was, and the farewell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

Yes, that's the one. He also got sued for ripping off John Cage's 4'33' for piano (the work that "consists of ambient sounds"... since his version "One minute of silence" was credited to Batt/Cage, he didn't have much of a defence.

And he wrote "Bright Eyes" among a large batch of pop songs.

But don't let that stuff put you off. Some of his albums really are worth a listen.

Information of that John Cage settlement can be read here 

http://edition.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/23/uk.silence/index.html?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ

5 minutes ago, JukKluk2 said:

Close To The Edge is the one piece of music that I want to e played at my funeral, broken into three parts for the arrival, the contemplation of what a fine fellow I was, and the farewell.

I can see how that would work 

Must confess that I haven't thought much about music for the close of my life 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Spinning this album now for the third time 

IMG_7403.JPG

Hi

Great album, one that as you are doing, can hear subtle additions on each play that you may have not picked up on first listen, most of their early stuff is quite layered.

May play a few LP's this afternoon after reading this....

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All

After posting the above, I picked out the following :

The_Yes_Album.png Fragile.jpg Yes-close.jpg

Playing in this order you can hear how each album becomes more complex than the previous album was....

JJ

Those 3 albums are also available as a 3 LP set from live performances and some slight differences to the studio albums 

It's called Yessongs 

IMG_7408.JPG

• Like 4

We also have Entangled in Melbourne. Any questions or songs you'd particularly like to hear from them, feel free to ask. I am their keyboard player, assuming the role Tony Banks. Return of the Giant Hogweed seems popular, as does In the Cage and Afterglow. 

https://www.facebook.com/entangledbandaustralia/

15 hours ago, keyboardman_uk said:

We also have Entangled in Melbourne. Any questions or songs you'd particularly like to hear from them, feel free to ask. I am their keyboard player, assuming the role Tony Banks. Return of the Giant Hogweed seems popular, as does In the Cage and Afterglow. 

https://www.facebook.com/entangledbandaustralia/

So are you planing to do any gigs in other states 

Love all the early work, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound 

And the later work is also brilliant e.g. Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Trick Of The Tail and all the way up to We Can't Dance

But I have a soft spot for Nursery Cryme 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Full Range said:

So are you planing to do any gigs in other states 

Love all the early work, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound 

And the later work is also brilliant e.g. Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Trick Of The Tail and all the way up to We Can't Dance

But I have a soft spot for Nursery Cryme 

Well, we love those songs too, we are doing are best to include something off all of the albums in that early period. Don't want to give too much away, but something from Nursery Cryme, one from Foxtrot,  at least two from Selling England by the Pound, one and a half from The Lamb, and two from A Trick of the tail. There's a bit of Duke, and something off Abacab so far. No one has asked for anything from And then there were three....that could be the odd one out.

Playing in other states would be nice one day if we can afford it. It seems that Brissy is the home of Prog Rock in Oz - see if we can get some decent gigs in Melbourne before we head for the stars and bright lights I reckon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keyboardman_uk said:
Well, we love those songs too, we are doing are best to include something off all of the albums in that early period. Don't want to give too much away, but something from Nursery Cryme, one from Foxtrot,  at least two from Selling England by the Pound, one and a half from The Lamb, and two from A Trick of the tail. There's a bit of Duke, and something off Abacab so far. No one has asked for anything from And then there were three....that could be the odd one out.

Playing in other states would be nice one day if we can afford it. It seems that Brissy is the home of Prog Rock in Oz - see if we can get some decent gigs in Melbourne before we head for the stars and bright lights I reckon.

The Lady Lies from And Then There Were Three would be the one that I would love to hear in concert. By far the standout track on the album, it harks, lyrically, back to the Nursery Cryme days, and in some ways musically as well. Makes FYFM appear the insipid piece of dross that it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by JukKluk2
Spelling correction
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Hidden in my vault 

Artist - Jon Anderson 
Title - Olias Of Sunhillow

IMG_7476.thumb.JPG.19c4f3bf4ee90f80b93b0a2459e298da.JPG

Love that album. First heard it in a record store in Amsterdam, in 1976, on the penultimate stop of a journey from the UK and back again via the Iberian Peninsula, North Africa, and southern Mediterranean Europe. Everything that makes Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is contained within this album. It's still my favourite of his many solo releases.
  • Like 3

59a50e0ac895f_cdsalesSW.jpg.331a848a234f76d60e32ad3c01ec6e67.jpg

Well the vinyl arrived today which completes my orders. 

SW has taken a somewhat different direction with this album. Some have called it "pop prog" but for more me its a rock album that is more accessible than his other albums and should bring him a wider audience. It reached No3 on the UK charts last week behind Ed Sheeren and Elvis! There are some stand-out tracks but also a couple which I will skip when its on rotation. It has taken me quite a few listens to get into, but I can say, while "different" and not as strong as HCE and TRTRS (IMO), it's a solid album and will sit proudly next to his other solo efforts. There is no doubt he is an artist that is always challenging himself but also wants that wider recognition or rather a wider audience to access his music. With "To The Bone" I think he will succeed in achieving that. 

Anybody else listened to TTB yet?

• Like 3
  • Love 1