The Hunger Games

I'm off to see this tonight with the wife, and having not read the book or read too much hype, am hoping we will enjoy it. I finish work at 11pm, my Cinema has it showing at midnight, so great timing and hopefully the cinema will be near empty too. :o

I did hear some of the soundtrack in my local JB Hi Fi the other day , and enjoyed what I heard.

I assume that many here will see this?

Edited by soundfan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twilight is ok. Anything with vampires in it and I'll watch it :o

I wonder if Twilight & movies of its ilk would have been as popular if they were released in a time that didn't have Facebook & Social Networking eg Twitter etc

I'm guessing not!

Graham

I wonder if Twilight & movies of its ilk would have been as popular if they were released in a time that didn't have Facebook & Social Networking eg Twitter etc

I'm guessing not!

Graham

Don't know. I barely use social networking.

Well, I don't think much of Margaret or David as critics, they strike me more as snobs to be entirely honest. Preview reviews from around the globe have been nothing but full of praise for the movie - it has been faithful to the book, other than probably not quite as brutal graphically as the book would have required for some of the deaths of the hunger games opponents. I've just finished reading the book, and if it lives up to the book, it'll be a most excellent movie imho. I enjoyed Suzanne Collin's novel - at times it was very moving and bought a tear to the eye. I hope the actress that they've had to play Rue, and the actor that plays Peeta are up to the job. Gale is barely in the book, so not sure why they are playing up Liam Hemsworth's involvement in this movie. I haven't read the 2nd and 3rd books in the series, so perhaps he features more in those.

I will say the book is brutal in some of the deaths of the kids that are forced to participate in the hunger games. Note: not every kid is forced - a few do volunteer and several from the richer sectors are 'career' entrants, i.e. they train all of their lives in order to get into it, and win, as it's a great honour.

Dave

Well, I don't think much of Margaret or David as critics, they strike me more as snobs to be entirely honest.

Interestingly, although I do not always agree (duh) I really enjoy their critique style & substance.

I try to watch them every week.

I respect them as reviewers (Margaret & David), but in this case I think they are being very harsh.

The film runs near 2 1/2 hours, and I didn't think the film dragged at all. For those with teens wanting to see it, the violence wasn't too graphic, and I'd be happy to let my 13yr old daughter see it.

Good storyline, (how faithful to book I have no idea as I haven't ,and won't read it) good acting generally, and it looks good too.

The soundtrack score wasn't bad... but I'm a little puzzled as the available soundtrack that is now available to buy features vocal tracks from the likes of Arcade Fire, Neko Case, The Decemberists among others, but the only track with vocals was the one played over the closing credits. I was hoping some of the songs would pop up throughout the film, but it wasn't to be.

Interestingly, although I do not always agree (duh) I really enjoy their critique style & substance.

I try to watch them every week.

bang on - my thoughts exactly.

Thanks for the write-up soundfan. Still sounds like a tween movie to me.. ;)

bang on - my thoughts exactly.

Thanks for the write-up soundfan. Still sounds like a tween movie to me.. ;)

Dunno. A lot of the contestants characters aren't really expanded on in the flick, whereas other adult characters get more exposure, so I never really felt it was aimed at tweens. YMMV.

Go and see it, make your own mind up. :)

Ok, I saw the movie tonight and it is brilliantly done IMHO. It is very faithful to the book. I was really impressed with the actor that played Peeta. Rue is my fave character and she was great too. I'll go see it again. It's definitely not a tween movie.

Soundfan - the song at the end is Taylor Swift's beautiful song "safe and sound" with the civil wars - I expect it to win best song at the Oscars in 2013.

If you haven't read the book, do yourself a favour and do so.

Dave

Ok, I saw the movie tonight and it is brilliantly done IMHO. It is very faithful to the book. I was really impressed with the actor that played Peeta. Rue is my fave character and she was great too. I'll go see it again. It's definitely not a tween movie.

Soundfan - the song at the end is Taylor Swift's beautiful song "safe and sound" with the civil wars - I expect it to win best song at the Oscars in 2013.

If you haven't read the book, do yourself a favour and do so.

Dave

G'day Dave,

Glad you enjoyed it. I didn't hang around for the closing song, not a Taylor Swift fan. Nice voice, and easy on the eye, but her music does nothing for me I'm afraid.

Edited by soundfan

I am going to watch this movie today because I have some tickets that I have already paid for and to be honest there is a lack of good movies on at the moment. The problem is that I have also just purchased the e-book of The Hunger Games so I will be watching the movie first and then reading the book. Normally I would be doing it the other way around, hopefully I'll still enjoy the book. Do u guys think this would ruin the enjoyment of reading it?

Not at all. The movie is quite faithful to the book, it deviates in only a few non important places and only semi disappoints in 2 places of minor omissions (departing from the book) which I won't mention in thread as I don't want to spoil the movie. Both minor omissions aren't critical to the story, I'd just have liked to have seen them, or more of them in the movie itself.

Dave

My daughter (14) saw it the other night and loved it. She said she would like to see it again. But she is into the macabre, vampire, anything scary type movies, not the usual girly stuff.

...well I hope she watched it!! (and I hope she wants to see it again because she actually enjoyed it...and not missed it the first time!)....14 years old?

Edited by surfpurple

• 2 weeks later...