Linn LP12 bashing - why all da hatin'?

WHY OH WHY BUY LINN?

Why is it that Linn products hold such a complete hold over their adherents?

silly wobbly things with fatally failed suspensions that they worship to the exclusion of all other components

infinitely tweaked in a futile attempt to rectify the unrectifiable.

they even fight amongst themselves modernist linnies are reviled bt traditionalists for diverting from the one true path

Why when really they have all wandered from the pilgrims progress along the straight and narrow path into the linn slough of despair.

Good question djb!

I think that it is more like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland:

"Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (commonly shortened to Alice in Wonderland) is an 1865 novel written by English author Charles Lutwidge Dodgson under the pseudonym Lewis Carroll. It tells of a girl named Alice who falls down a rabbit hole into a fantasy world (Wonderland) populated by peculiar, anthropomorphic creatures. The tale plays with logic, giving the story lasting popularity with adults as well as children."

Adapted to:

"Linnies’ Adventures in Wonderland (commonly shortened to Linnies in Wonderland) is a 1970’s philosophy developed by Ivor Tiefenbrun. It tells the tale of an audiophile who falls down a rabbit hole into a fantasy world (Linnies) populated by peculiar, anthropomorphic creatures (Ivor et al). The tale plays with logic (Source First, Tune dem, Follow the Tune), giving the story lasting popularity with Linnies."

I can understand the Source First philosophy, that is what Ivor came up with when he only had a turntable to sell but imagine a philosophy like Tune dem having any success? It teaches audiophiles to follow the tune, no, really it does.

Edited by Telecine

May I suggest that you could substitute *ANY* brand for Linn and say much the same.

I bought my original Linn in 1978 and it handily beat every other TT to which I listened in the same price range (AR, Thorens, Pioneer, ... ).

I still have a TT with "Linn" on the top--except now it has more non-Linn parts than Linn parts. Why did I upgrade parts? 'Cause it was much cheaper than buying a new TT with the same sound quality.

Of course YMMV.

Greg

LP12s have a particular sound, if you like that sound and it helps your system sound the way that you like it, then go for it:)

Whilst suspended turntables in general will never have the bass weight of a mass loaded TT, they can replace that with more micro-detail.

I suppose with any brand can ask why do people buy brand X....well for the established brands with a good range of product obviously people do buy them dont they hehe otherwise would have long gone out of business.

Personally I do think theyre a very valid alternative. And heard few good examples turn in a wonderfull performance over the years. And whether new or second hand plenty of options and in a range of pricing to choose from so quite likely something for everyone if its what you want.

I'm all for all these brands with different offerings. How boring would life be if there was only one thing to buy ! and that way we can all buy what suits our needs and preferences and make our own value judgements as to what is best for us to buy and own :)

My issue (so to speak) is that they don't offer an entry model such as Pro-ject, Rega etc for those starting off. My first (and only so far) turntable is a Rega P2.

...if you modded your Rega P2/RB300/250 (see my thread), I think you will find that it would out-perform most TT's out there, that do not have an isolated motor assembly at least..., including a LP12. I am confident enough to say, that I believe (with the same arm/cartridge) my Rega Planar 3 would out-perform a stock LP12 significantly...

...once you isolate your AC motor from the RP2 plinth, ... it has very little in terms of vibration to contend with, except the rotating spindle vibrations, for which you can get a ruby/ceramic bearing to minimise, mod the sub-platter, ...among other minor mods..., and vibrations from speakers (plinth dampening/isolating measures)

...the AC motor (and I daresay the DC one also) vibrates quite considerably..., its surprising that they didn't address this more effectively back at Rega-ville...

Edited by TigerScent

Linn make more than turntables...some of their speakers - particularly the actives and the Kans are legendary. Pity about the rrp though: oucha.

...the Linn speakers I heard were quite good....I must say....

Edited by TigerScent

People buy Linn TTs because they sound bloody great !

Sure there is a few who lse the plot and become " linnies"

But that not the majority, the are Rega nuts too, a few may be posting here if they think a Rega 3 even modified is in the same class as a good Linn :)

There are better, hell after 25 years I no longer have one

But they are very very good

...if you modded your Rega P2/RB300/250 (see my thread), I think you will find that it would out-perform most TT's out there, that do not have an isolated motor assembly at least..., including a LP12. I am confident enough to say, that I believe (with the same arm/cartridge) my Rega Planar 3 would out-perform a stock LP12 significantly...[/i.

Allow me to doubt that, TS.

WHY OH WHY BUY LINN?

You know - different strokes for different folks.

I tend to eschew the big boys these days an look mostly at the smaller boutique manufacturers. Not particularly rational but there you go.

Thanks

Bill

I don't claim to have the knowledge of (or these days the inclination to spend the time assessing) the nuances of fine audio that most others on this site have. It however gives me great reassurance that the same turntable that I bought nearly 35 years ago is still available today. Sure the manufacturer has made multiple upgrades in that time, but I gather all or most of those upgrades can be fitted to my same old turntable. I also know from personal recent experience that my Linn can be (and in fact very recently was; thanks to Vince Hamilton) refurbished and upgraded at what I consider to be an extremely reasonable cost to create a player that to my ears is a significantly better, and in fact stunning player, than it was when I first purchased it all those years ago. I consequently regard my Linn as one of my great purchases, and in the long run, a bargain. With apologies to Henry Rolls (or was it Royce?), the quality remains long after the price is forgotten.