toeknee2

Power conditioner?

28 posts in this topic

Power conditioners?

Do many of you use one?

And if so what do they do (sound wise, I know what they claim to do)?

I ask because I'm in the market for a decent power board and some double up as a "power conditioner"

I don't use them and make my own power boards for my audio gear.

I use cheap crap ones for all my computer peripherals but my main rig plugs into a power outlet direct.

Most, if not all of those things will not protect your gear against a very close lightning strike................but your insurance will compensate you somewhat.

Hi tk2

Nice avatar .

Why do you think you need a power conditioner . Or are you just after a high quality power board .

Have you measured how stable your power is ,do you get interference from other electrical appliance's in the house .

Cheers

Most cheap power conditioners have a series of varistors connected to gnd in case of lightning strikes, this will protect the first strike and the device disintergrates depending on how powerful the strike is. you can get conditioners that cost thousands and there are people including SNA'ers would confirmed that it makes a difference in SQ. Unless you're in PNG or in a country that has an issue with power generation, OK, I understand, but in a major Australian city where the quality of the power of the grid, especially in melbourne, is very good. Definitely get one that protects you for lightning strikes or spikes but thats it!!

Conditioners will not isolate you from electrical noise generated from other houshold appliances, once the interference is genearated it is hard to filter out even with the most expensive conditioner. Expensive silver power cables/fuses will not improve on the supply voltage and I doubt that it improves SQ, then again some will say otherwise.

Forget about using power conditioners, they actually make your equipment sound worse - they make the treble strident IME.

The only way to filter out power line noise effectively is to use a regenerator and the cheapest regenerator AFAIK is sold by Monachy Audio. You can get 2nd hand PS audio regenerators like the PS300/600 for under $1K.

I recently bought the PurePower 2000i and it did make a improvement to my system as opposed to the power conditioners and balanced power supply I have used previously.

The voltage from my power outlet is a steady 250V! The purepower unit regenerates and steps down to a steady 230V.

Edited by triode12

Most cheap power conditioners have a series of varistors connected to gnd in case of lightning strikes, this will protect the first strike and the device disintergrates depending on how powerful the strike is. you can get conditioners that cost thousands and there are people including SNA'ers would confirmed that it makes a difference in SQ. Unless you're in PNG or in a country that has an issue with power generation, OK, I understand, but in a major Australian city where the quality of the power of the grid, especially in melbourne, is very good. Definitely get one that protects you for lightning strikes or spikes but thats it!!

Nothing will stop a direct lightning strike or even a very close one.

The static discharge is so huge that it just takes what it wants...........like the grim reaper.

I have experience of this when lightning hit a tree at the front of my house, splitting it in half.

The nearest room of my house was about 10 metres away.

There was a computer in there that was off..........turned off at the wall in fact.

The PSU and motherboard were fried by the static field, It also induced into the ethernet and took out a data switch 30 metres away but that was it.

It wasn't really enough to claim on insurance as I had it all up and running again for about $100.

I too am a believer of PurePower. I use two 1050s to separate digital and analog components. I wish I could have had separate lines in the house but we got a newly built house and it's still under warranty so I don't want to muck about.

But I recently had a chance to listen to Jim Weil's latest Sound Application and it does sound amazing. I don't know what he does but IMHO it does outperform the PurePower. I'll need to bring one home for a shootout. Jim doesn't usually build for home markets. His units are usually built for commercial studios. Mofi is one of his customers.

56 you forgot to metion that 37Kg power thing that Lucas does!

To early to recommend any product ,what we need to find out what the problem is first then take it from there .

CHeers

find out what the problem is first

Well thats right.

In my case I live on the edge of town and at the extremity of the power lines. My voltage varied from ~213 to ~234 which I was later able to see on a Thor PS10. Ended up being a moot point because they more recently came along and put a big grey transformer?thingy on the pole outside, so now I get ~252 fairly steadily. Also 3 lightning strikes nearby, 2 of which took out phone line connected equipment (modems, ethernet switches ...) Telstra installed a lightning to earth box on the phone line for that. So in my case I have gone the Thor path purely for protection rather than SQ reasons.

I was thinking about this unit http://sgraudio.com.au/Products/interface/tb_seq.html

Anyone using it?

Hi 88pro, I use a Thoroughbred power interphase. I am not sure it makes a huge difference to sound quality, but with active speakers it is great for the sequential start up and shut down. ie it turns on outlets in order, then shuts power off in reverse sequence.

Alan

If you're just after a surge protector, these guys have one for $26 if you see the link before midday tomorrow!

But I recently had a chance to listen to Jim Weil's latest Sound Application and it does sound amazing. I don't know what he does but IMHO it does outperform the PurePower. I'll need to bring one home for a shootout. Jim doesn't usually build for home markets. His units are usually built for commercial studios. Mofi is one of his customers.

Hi D.H.,

Sound Application does build conditioners for home audio too. I got a custom 12 outlet Reference 240V one made by Jim and Connie Weil. It is undoubtedly superlative in every aspect for its performance in audio and video. My advice is do not try it unless you are ready to purchase one. Jim knows how good his products are and that they keep improving with time.........hence they are dear. Also you can't use the US models here as they are voltage dependent.

Cheers.

Jim's website hasn't been updated in ages :)

A friend of mine has 2 of his RLS240 (set up for UK/Aus voltage) at the moment. Jim mentioned a once off build of a RLS240X using components he normally reserves for his commercial models so my friend ended up ordering 2 of the new ones. He's been kind enough to offer to loan me one (on the condition that Jim has delivered the X units)

And yes, it is a superlative device.

Every other conditioner I have tried diminishes the sound in some respect, but adds improvement in others but from what I can tell, there are no downsides to the SA :thumb:

I am trying to get the SA hooked up to the PurePower, if only because I keep getting power cuts out here in Queensland whenever there are thunderstorms.

If you're just after a surge protector, these guys have one for $26 if you see the link before midday tomorrow!

I bought one of these. They have a very decent feel to them for the money. Compared to the $18 "Home Theater" one i bought a retail store which had a very cheap feel to it. The power plugs would not sit in properly into the sockets.

This one above allows you to switch off individual devices to save on electricity/isolate the device.

.......... Jim mentioned a once off build of a RLS240X using components he normally reserves for his commercial models............

I had a smile on my face when I read that, as I know unless he has made another one he is talking about the one I have. It did take Jim convincing to make a 12 outlet device as he normally makes only a 6 outlet 240V version.

I would recommend that you connect the PP into the SA.

Anything after the SA improves dramatically. I have even run a normal extension chord from the SA to my telly and the lift in performance is huge.

Soundstaging, depth, instrument seperation are noticeable like night and day. One major component I could not live without. BTW Jim's wife Connie is ex- Navy electrical engineer and my gut feel says she is the major force behind SA. Jim knows his stuff too.

Hope your friend does get his X units soon, so that you can try out the RLS.

I thought the PP generates cleaner AC than the mains so putting the SA afterwards might be better. Plus my PP are about 3m away from the wall socket.

Ps do you use an Australian plug at the wall to the SA?

Hi D.H.,

Sound Application does build conditioners for home audio too. I got a custom 12 outlet Reference 240V one made by Jim and Connie Weil. It is undoubtedly superlative in every aspect for its performance in audio and video. My advice is do not try it unless you are ready to purchase one. Jim knows how good his products are and that they keep improving with time.........hence they are dear. Also you can't use the US models here as they are voltage dependent.

Cheers.

I assume that they are active devices since they are voltage dependant?

I thought the PP generates cleaner AC than the mains so putting the SA afterwards might be better. Plus my PP are about 3m away from the wall socket.

Ps do you use an Australian plug at the wall to the SA?

DH- Jim will always tell you not to place anything in front of the SA. It will inhibit the current pull when required. After the SA is fine. His other reccomendations are not to use Wattgate terminated plugs in his SA especially the 20A IEC inlet. Mind you I use the Kimber Palladiums and they work fine on the outlets.

My cable runs straight from the fuse box outlet to the SA terminated with a Furutech 20A IEC.

I assume that they are active devices since they are voltage dependant?

Hi Triode12,

No they are passive devices, but the inductors used inside are voltage or current specific and hence Jim will always advice you that the US models will not do the job/work on 240V. It works the other way around. In fact that is how the X series was born. He was so amazed by the performance when he made my unit that triggered him to use the components in his local markets.

Thanks guys. I don't think I will bother with a power conditioner after reading all that. I just want a decent power board with surge protection that can take 10 cords. The $26 one only takes 8.

Hi Triode12,

No they are passive devices, but the inductors used inside are voltage or current specific and hence Jim will always advice you that the US models will not do the job/work on 240V. It works the other way around. In fact that is how the X series was born. He was so amazed by the performance when he made my unit that triggered him to use the components in his local markets.

Thanks Neville.

Interesting device but pricey for something passive...but having said that...so is the Bybee Steath conditioner at $6500USD.

Nothing will stop a direct lightning strike or even a very close one.

The static discharge is so huge that it just takes what it wants...........like the grim reaper.

I have experience of this when lightning hit a tree at the front of my house, splitting it in half.

The nearest room of my house was about 10 metres away.

There was a computer in there that was off..........turned off at the wall in fact.

The PSU and motherboard were fried by the static field, It also induced into the ethernet and took out a data switch 30 metres away but that was it.

It wasn't really enough to claim on insurance as I had it all up and running again for about $100.

A lightning strike is effectively a localised EMP, and yes, rather hard to defend oneself from at that range.

:)