Synergy measurement GTG

This one was a mini GTG with Andi and Roger over for some measurements and it was a stinker measuring outdoors in the sun! Roger brought his new speaker

SpolarGTGimg001.jpg

Yorkville Unity

And this is my latest:

SpolarGTGimg005.jpg

I had interesting ideas about how much we would get done, in the end we measured 3 of my speakers and Roger's Unity then set it up indoors for a listen. We all liked the sound of the Unity, very clean and dynamic with many things about it being "just right." There were some things similar to the Synergy horns I've been building, other things different. Due to time we didn't get a chance to do some listening to anything else. We were pretty zapped after the rigours of measuring in the sun. I had to do some final touches to my S2.1 Synergy and we measured all speakers from 0 - 90 degrees at 10 degree increments. So that's 40 measurements.

More pics:

http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com/2011/11/synergy-horn-directivity-measurements.html

Pretty good actually, no real surprises. I'll put them up when I get the files from Andi (no pressure!)

We had a bit of a look along the way and my latest Synergy was looking very good! It measures very much like a JBL progressive transition waveguide, except controlling dispersion to a lower frequency.

These are great speakers. Not only did we measure them, I got a chance to listen. Nothing to fault really and fom my own memory they are more articulate than the original Unities. The pinnacle of direct radiator design really. Few things that may contribute to this:

- Different compression driver (BMS)

- Rounded horn, no edges.

- MTM may be beneficial for image height. They simply sound big.

JeaoE.jpg

u15_horn_sm.jpg

Directivity, normalised:

37bZ6.png

Frequency plots, 0-90deg, 10deg increment, non-normalised:

2qC4a.png

A modelling session too :)

bJXXP.jpg

What would it realistically cost to DIY a set of these? Is it a pack?

Each speaker uses a BMS4550, 3 x Celestion sealed 5" mids and 2 x 18Sound 15ND930 drivers. There are also about 40 XO components. Then you need to build the horn amd cabinet as well! If you could set these up in some nice furniture cabinets you would have a great home speaker!

Paul, that pic looks like I just caught a Yorkville Marlin!!! ;)

I was just reading up on the Yorkville U15 last night, as they appear to be the closest thing to a retail Hifi version of the Unity horn.

Do Yorkville sell these locally (there is a Yorkville Australia web site but it has no info) - or do they have to be shipped in?

I was just reading up on the Yorkville U15 last night, as they appear to be the closest thing to a retail Hifi version of the Unity horn.

Do Yorkville sell these locally (there is a Yorkville Australia web site but it has no info) - or do they have to be shipped in?

Danley helped develop the Yorkville Unity back in 2003. Yes, they are available in Australia - U15 and U215. Note, prices are for single speaker only so double it.

Or should be??

especially given how hot it was yesterday!

Next we measured the 90deg waveguide handcrafted by Paul Spencer ;)

I will let Paul explain them. Basically with regards to directivity, size does matter!

KoReh.jpg

Uvz9C.jpg

Here you can see the sound projects like a beam down to 300 or so hz. Awesome.

Directivity sonogram, normalised

Xlc9J.jpg

DdgeN.png

That's a really nice measurement. People won't be accustomed to looking at those charts, but think of it this way. You are looking at frequency response at all angles out to 90 degrees. A normal response plot shows only part of the picture. Not everyone agrees on the ideal directivity plot, but those who consider constant directive important would call that last one very good!

A bit more on reading them:

http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com/2011/02/understanding-directivity-plots.html

This Paul's first unity build... Just like the Unitiy Horns, only a bit larger at the mouth

G4DI6.jpg

This one is interesting. The problem with this build is deep on-axis null. This does not appear off-axis so my best guess is phase interference due to equal size of the mouth (like a round waveguide)

0deg vs. 20deg FR

5Zhz4.png

Because of that null, any attempt to view directivity by normalising the response leads to weird graph, hence the below plots are non-normalised:

Directivity sonogram, non-normalised

Z6bsV.png

RYW7s.png

As seen, the directivity control is not as faithful as the large S2.2 Around 400-600hz for 60deg.

Hah, sadly no Andi - the person building them has been way too busy, and i've been busy renovating my house.

As soon as the reno's are done (end of this month hopefully), I have to figure out how to get the speakers home, and then I can finish them here.

Yes I know a project dragged out waaaaaay too long, but i've had many changes in my life this year, and i hope to finish them before the years out, and host a GTG early Jan.