High sensitivity speakers

I was wondering if someone could shoot me in the right direction for some high sensitivity speakers suitable for a valve amp.

I would prefer above 95db, and must be 8 ohm. Somewhere around 5k would be prefferable. I'm currently making my way through the Australian speakers sticky at the moment, and i really like the look of the Creation Audio C Horns :(

I have found a few high sensitivity speakers but they have very high impedance levels also, such as Zu.

I know they are out there, but my searching isn't returning too many results.

Ruling out DIY also.

Edited by Bus_Boy

I was wondering if someone could shoot me in the right direction for some high sensitivity speakers suitable for a valve amp.

I would prefer above 95db, and must be 8 ohm. Somewhere around 5k would be prefferable. I'm currently making my way through the Australian speakers sticky at the moment, and i really like the look of the Creation Audio C Horns :(

I have found a few high sensitivity speakers but they have very high impedance levels also, such as Zu. ;;I

I know they are out there, but my searching isn't returning too many results.

Ruling out DIY also.

I think some of the VAF signature speakers fit your measurement requirements BB.

Well there's sensitivity right there BB, but i think they dip a bit lower than 8ohms (6 and lower i think)

Yes i'm hoping the VAF's i have are suitable for the amp i am getting. (Earle Weston Topaz) I think as long as they don't drop much below 6 ohms i should be okay, but Earle know's i have these speakers so i'm sure he wouldn't have reccomended the amp otherwise.

I do like the VAF's, but i've just grown a bit tired of them. Perhaps a new amp will change all that, then again maybe my room does them no favours. I'd just like to try something that's a little different.

I have found a few high sensitivity speakers but they have very high impedance levels also, such as Zu.

Zu Omen Def is around 6Ohm and rates at 98db. Might suit your needs? But I think Zu Superfly (which I have) is more suited for the valve amps. Omen might be bit more SS friendly than valve friendly, although you could drive them with a valve amp.

The Krix Pix is the ticket, and probably around your budget. Not high on waf and looks a bit industrial, but this is a highly engineered and refined product. The chief designer is world class. The Pix would definitely leave eye candy like C-horn or Zu chewing its sonic dust with their full range drivers. Only other one I would recommend, if you want to take your money away from aussie ingenuity, is the Gedlee, another proper audio product.

What type of valve amp do you have SET's ,Push Pull what tubes & power rating .

An important question, as it answers the question of whether you need an efficient speaker, or an efficient speaker with a benign impedance curve.

dave

Edited by planet10

+1 for Omega and Hoyt-Bedford. Within your budget you could buy the HB Type 4s, which have separate powered woofers and have $2K to spare.

BTW, don't worry too much about Zus and other speakers with impedances of 10 to 12 ohms. This actually means they are an easier load for a valve map and your amp could sound more relaxed as a result.

The amp in question is the Earle Weston Topaz http://www.westonacoustics.com/service2.html i think that link should work

Some strangeness in the specs... Class A & 35 w to start (unless B+ is quite high), says it is running ultralinear with no global feedback so likely has a fairly high output imprdance. Means you want a smooth flattish output impedance, otherwise the speakers frequency response will be multiplied by a factor of the impedance curve. With single drivers a rise at the top and the bottom coupled with a high output impedance can be beneficial as you get a boost where it is often needed. It also has to be said... that is a lot of power for a speaker this efficient.

If i was choosing a speaker within your mandate i'd be looking at Vulcan, you'd have to build or find someone to build it for you. Of course i'd use my version of the FE206

vulcan-c-3d.gif

If it wasn't for the efficiency requirement, Rasmussen's Elsinores or his new flat impedance speaker would be a good candidate (the latter limited by the Visaton B200's 89ish dB efficiency.

dave

Edited by planet10

Have you heard highly sensitive speakers Bus_Boy? My only advice would be not to rush in and possibly spending all you're budget on a set of speakers before hearing a wide range of speakers.

Plus one for the Omega and Hoyts-Bedford recommendations.

And although they are seeming to fetch premium prices these days, don't discount second hand vintage Tannoy's and Coral Beta 8 and 10s if in suitable cabinets. Tannoys and Valves = Heaven. :(

Hi Bus_boy

I run Earle's Time Machine SET into Zu Druid IVs........which have 101db sensitivity. I'm very happy with the results.

I haven't heard any of the latest Zu speakers and there are certainly other options, but I would suggest you have a close look (listen, rather!) at their current range. (Magenta HIFI is the Aussie Distributor for ZU).

cheers

+1 for Omega and Hoyt-Bedford. Within your budget you could buy the HB Type 4s, which have separate powered woofers and have $2K to spare.

BTW, don't worry too much about Zus and other speakers with impedances of 10 to 12 ohms. This actually means they are an easier load for a valve map and your amp could sound more relaxed as a result.

I always thought the lower the impedance level of the speaker, the less load placed on the amp, provided the amplifier is stable at a lower impedance