Currently Spinning

l thought it would be good to have a thread we can all post to with brief descriptions of what CD seems to be finding its way into your player often. l am always on the lookout for something new :)

l just bought Lemon Jelly's new CD yesterday and love it. Their single "The shouty song" first got my attention, the filmclip for it is also brilliant. Kind of dance music with heavy use of real drum and bass on a lot of the tracks, some songs are heavier than others but very catchy. While l am not really into dance music this is excellent.

• Like 3

ahhh Lemon Jelly. Thats the reason why i like The Prodigy, a great mix of real drum and guitar with electronic bass and synth. But i must say they sound 100% better live than they do on CD.

yeah the shouty song rocks. :)

Also The Prodigy will def test your systems ability to reproduce some wired sounding bass.

• Like 1

l love the Prodigy, own all of their albums.

If you like lemon Jelly and the Prodigy then you should ind a copy of Crazy penis - "Wicked is music" Great kick back music, you may have heard their single A Better Place that sampled Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Brilliant track.

• Like 2

Guest Paul-G

I'm currently enjoying a best of clapton album, getting into the 80's stuff. Nice production and value and I'm using the track "pretending" as a test trak for trying out new speakers. that and Reasons by John Farnham.

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

l have just discovered the Thievery Corporation. Excellent music, very hard to categorise as its extermely diversified. If you like rock cum dance music with some great vocals, strong bass lines and a bit of African influence you will love this!

• Like 2

Originally posted by mondie

Just bought Audioslaves new album. WOW, easily as good as their first album of 2003. Highly recommended if you like rock :)

yer, it's alright aye, but I reackon anything R.A.T.M owns it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done, Mondie et al! I agree... totally; let's play spin doctors, since that is what stereo gear is all about... listening to music.

Wow, I must be getting old. Haven't of any of the aforementioned groups, let alone their music. Sigh. Pause... Light bulb! Perhaps this forum could turn into a file-sharing platform? MP3's? ...No, you're right. The quality isn't there, but the copyright lawyers are (as they should be - a new thread on the legalities of pirating your own copies of CDs and Lps for your own private use?)

Anyway, enough of being silly. Many of the contributors to this forum have serious high end gear. Translating "high end gear" into music is the real challenge, however. I suggest that we, as a group of music lovers, have the biggest challenge of all: translating a highly charged emotional experience into words. For example, I was priveleged to have been only the second person in Australia to hear 'The Dark Side of the Moon' before it was officially released way back in 1973. A friend of mine knew Allan Parsons (believe it or not) and managed to score a pre-release copy which he then smuggled into Australia in September of 1972. I knew one of the DJ's at (Sydney's) 2SM and he played the whole album in his graveyard shift. It cost him his job and created an absolute furore amongst the listening public. People heard it. People loved it. People bought it, to the extent that it remains one of the best selling albums of all time(yeah!!!). Yet, I have forgotten the DJ's name. Weird...

How do I describe what I am currently spinning on CD? Adelaide based, jazz, brilliant performers, high quality digital recording, wonderful songs... eType Jazz. Any eType Jazz. These guys are in it for the music and they are succeeding in filling some "marty biiiig shoes". So, check it out (as John Cougar Mellencamp would say).

Come on guys, liven up the party! Music is THE thrill. Greg Erskine? You got it! Buy your $10 CD's and keep trying something different. Oh, the thrill of discovering Allan Parsons, Pink Floyd, ELO or modern aberrations of St. Louis Jazz. Music is the tingle in the spine. Music is the "Oh, ****! That is just.... indescribable!"

I have six bootleg Beatles albums, one U2 bootleg album, and the only bootleg known to come out of The Travelling Wilburys (before Roy Orbison passed away and made this "album" the second release official. The recording quality of all the above is more than questionable, but the emotional content is simply indescribable and THAT is what music is all about. So, my fellow enthusiasts... talk to me

PS Who am I to speak of such things? I was into the real thing way back when. I was a security guard for Carlos Santana and Joe Cocker, Slade and Suzi Quattro (Sydney's Hordern Pavilion 1972-1975). Have you heard Carlos plaaaaay???? Ever heard Leon Russell warm up his Steinway grand piano before going into "Cry me a River"? 1...2...3...4... Joe Cocker brought together the tighest and meanest studio musicians ever, just to play live. As a 150 year old turtle might say: "Totally awesome, dude." So, liven up the party! Music can be "totally awesome, dude". Music is why we try new things, new gear. Loosen up and talk to all of us. Eg I just love the "American Songbooks" with Rod Stewart. Do you agree? Why Not? Music is our joy, so share in it!!!

• Like 3

Great post Bosereworked, l am a big fan of pink Flloyd and DSOTM. What were your early thoughts on that album having heard it before being influenced by others opinions. Did you think it was going to be a hit, of corse you never could have guessed it was going to be as huge as it was.

Travelling Wilburies, now there's a super group l havent heard mentioned for a long long time. Didnt mind their first release at the time but their second sounded tired to me.

Come on fellow Planet Audioers, share your current faves with a brief description of them and why they do it for you.

Pink Floyd does it for me, as does Supertramp, Dire Straights and Roxy Music.......dont forget I'm nearly as old as the 'bose' man. On a slightly more left field note I love Tchaikovsky and Katchachurian (more or less the heavy metal Gods of the classical genre).

Recent convert to Sarah McLachlan and Dead Can Dance.......................now there's a weird selection if ever I've seen it.

Dont talk to me if you like Gangsta Rap Homie!

• Like 1

Hey Mondie (and all fellow music lovers),

What did I think of DSOTM? OK...

I used to buy my vinyl and my Bob Marley style "Herbs" from a record store in Maroubra. It was known as the Fat Angel. Wonder why? I became well connected to the latest and greatest out there, including the most awesome thing since Mother's Milk. It was an album by Carlos Santana called "Abraxas" and it was just mind-boggling. Even now, when I listen...

I was in sixth form high school, but not living at home. I was a working student. I had money. I bought a BIG stereo. It consisted of a Crown IC150 preamp, DC150 power amp, Thorens TD 125 Mk II turntable, SME tonearm and Shure V15 Type 3 cartridge. AND a seriously LOUD pair of Bose 901 speakers. Oh, what joy!!! Oh, what power and what joy! And what vinyl!

My setup became legendary and attracted crowds, including people in the music industry. I was generous, sharing my music and my consumables without question and this is how I came to "meet" this strange new type of "concept album". This term was used a lot in the early 70's... concept album.

Pink FLoyd were unknown then. No-one had heard of Atom Heart Mother or had thought about "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving Together with a Pict", let alone "Arnold Layne". It was a time of remaining safe; after all, we were still grieving the real end of the Beatles.

So, a young kid has this totally awesome stereo, which drew in crowds. I also played the drums and bass in a band (which never got far - Bryan Adams?). I actually mastered the drum solo in In-a-gadda-da-vida (Iron Butterfly) and could probably play it today. Suggests that I just loved music, huh? My friends say "More!" but where to find more??? Even then, I learned of the insatiable quest for more and better music. A friend travels and then comes home with???...

Oh, ****! There are no words that can describe what I heard. I refused to believe that anyone could meld the best of classical music (viz the 1812 Overture) with a whole new genre of highly orchestrated but perfectly executed modern sounds. This album spelled the death knell of Jimi Hendrix in our circle, because it heralded the return of discipline to modern all-out "rock" music. This "Pink Floyd" was using the best of what classical music had to offer and wrapping it up in modern instruments and sounds unlike anything heard before. We all wept. This was just unbelievable!

"Ticking away... the moments that make up a dull da-e-y" boo- omp de wadeeup

"Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand wa- ee-ayy!" bup she da de wap

"Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town!" wap she wah de ***

"Waiting for someone or something to show you the wa-ee-ayy!"

Where did this genius come from?! You can't imagine how much we loved this music. It set us free to explore life! Pink FLoyd had intelligent, and often pungent lyrics:

"Hanging on in quiet des...peration is the English way,

The time is gone, the song is over,

Thought I'd something more to sa-ee-ay-ee-ay..."

And those guiter riffs!!! Everything was so deep, and powerful, and meaningful... so new. But there was a special something that helped us win the war...

The "oldies" in our world? they liked it and dared not admit it. It brought together all that is good in music: carefully composed music, timely punc...tu...ations and intelligent lyrics. They liked it, a lot, and couldn't admit it; and this gave us so much power in triumph. The best in modern music and a hold over cynical others who "knew so much better". What utter bliss!!!

Fair go, ajw056!

You make the 'bose' man sound old!

• Like 2

In body but not in mind my friend.........................and yes, it was an awesmoe era. My 83 year old mum still loves the "Dark Side", and rates Floyd right up there with Louis Armstrong and Paul Robeson!

In-a-gadda-da-vida-baby! (all 22 minutes of it)................OK now I'm gonna dig the mother out, crank up the turntable, wind up the wick and zone out!

A/

Postscript..............and while I'm at it, here's a pic of my bedroom circa 1976................Note 'YES' posters on wall and groovy wallpaper. In bedroom bar and home made twin 12" speaker system with custom JH turntable in clear perspex with V15 and SME 3009.....................cool man. Now where'd I hide that stash.........secret compartment in the Dual 1225 from memory!

• Administrator

Hahaha I am loving this reading guys... good work :)

You guys are reminding me of the chats I have from time to time with my old man out on the patio after a couple of drinks.

You see I was brought up on Pink Floyd, and to this day I find myself going back to the compulsory sound check on a new system/speakers with any number of PF discs.

The Wall is still my favorite followed closely (and only recently) by Roger Waters on his own and his more recent stuff. I was fortunate enough to see Roger Waters - Live In The Flesh concert (2003?) here in Melbourne and while no where near as spectacular in terms of backing and special effects as US tours, I still find tingles down my spine.

For me, what amazes me about Pink Floyd is how they managed to do so much, yet have it all gel as well as it does, and the fact that I hear it differently every time I play it.

My girlfriend still can't get into PF, and can't understand what its all about, but give it time, she'll come around :P

I was also introduced to REM, Carlos Santana, Hendrix, and some more psychadelic (sp?) stuff by dad, and while things like Ultimate Spinach are beyond my non-drug affected appreciation of music, its all this 'old-school' stuff that still does it for me.

I just remembered another one that I must hunt down again. Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien... although I don't know if it would blow me away as much as it did (early 90's?).

• Like 3

The "bose man" returns! I tried to check out ajw056's photo of his room circa 1976 but the image is way too small for my tired old eyes. Perhaps a blowup? Brave man for even contemplating such a thing. Perhaps you like to live "Close to the Edge"? From what I could see, it had that strange sense of deja vu, a "Relayer" of old memories. Whoah...

Marc has unwittingly hit upon a key to any music's ultimate popularity/longevity:

"For me, what amazes me about Pink Floyd is how they managed to do so much, yet have it all gel as well as it does, and the fact that I hear it differently every time I play it." Unquote.

Well, I think that this question can be asked of many groups and their music. For example, The Police were essentially a 3 piece band, but listen to the complexities and you would swear that it was more like The Eagles (or Blood, Sweat & Tears?). What I have learned in life is that the more we respect others, the more we get out of life. This forum is a good example. If the members respect each other, we can all draw on the significant pool of experience tucked away in the many contributors' posts. When someone comes along to upset this harmony (get it?) s/he is respectfully warned and, failing this, respectfully asked to "move on". The principle applies almost anywhere.

If you were to watch a TV production dealing with jazz or the blues, you might notice that the musicians all seem to respect each other. They all contribute. They all help shape the final product. They seem to be able to work together as equals. They also seem to have learned to respect not only their own instruments (by working hard to master them) but also each other's. They can all fit in, without having to deal with prima donnas. And they can make some damned fine music! So, if you are lucky enough to have the Pink Floyd 'Ummagumma' album, look on the back sleeve. The full complement of instruments, amps and a truck to fit them all. These instruments need to be mastered, over time, in the midst of other like-minded people. Guess they must have succeeded.

PS Marc, you don't spell "psychedelic"... you experience it. Want to know how? Have a long hard stare at ajw056's room circa 1976. So cosmic... like Tales from Topographic Oceans

• Like 1

Wow!!! I am impressed! Can I stay wit you, ajw? Can I stay wit you... please?! (borrowed from "Shrek" - the moment when Donkey insunuates himself into the Hero's life... forever!)

But I am impressed. It offers the possibility of an interesting thread viz. where do we actually listen to our music? I no longer have any photos of vintage music rooms (sigh) so I feel quite tickled to see something eerily familiar. Just a couple of points further...

I would not want to leave our younger contributors with the impression that I condone the use of drugs. My circle of friends only smoked the Herb casually, and in lieu of alcohol, which many of us had unpleasant experiences with, for many different reasons. And what got us really "high" wasn't the dope. It was the MUSIC! And back then, the Herb was for wusses like me. Real men tried much harder stuff. Helps explain why so many of them aren't around to experience Lemon Jello...

Secondly, I am currently spinning much of my vinyl, simply because I have invested in a new pre-amp. And though the Rotel RC 1070 only borders on medium high end, I am hearing things never heard before. And that IS weird. Can you imagine listening to a record regularly for some 30 years and then suddenly realise that there were, in fact, ALWAYS 2 guitars, rather than only one 'spilling out all over the stage'?

Anyway, thank you to ajw506 for the photo of Yesterday, and Marc for supplying a version that I can actually see. Wow! I am impressed! Did I already say that? Whoah!

Yep.............that was my first attempt at speaker building........rather Over the Top I admit. Thank you know who for understanding parents...........I still cant get over the fact that I'd let rip with "Zinc Alloy and the Hidden Riders of Tomorrow", etc. VERY LOUD in there while they were trying to watch TV in the next room.

Mind you, when my kids were teenagers, they'd be the ones telling me to "turn that crap down", it's too loud.

Just one of Marc Bolan and T.Rex's greatest acheivements.................However, I will state that they no longer hold the appeal for me that they did in the 70's.

In fact I've recently sold my complete collection of all their Aussie release singles and albums to a 'Rex fan from the German Embassy in Singapore of all places. The offer was too good to refuse.

"You can't fool the Children of the Revolution, No"

• Like 1

To Top