Currently Spinning

22 hours ago, Hergest said:

Richard Thompson-Still. When I read this was produced by Jeff Tweedy I was put off a bit as I've never been a fan of Wilco's sound as a band but this is an excellent album, another gem from Thompson. Maybe it's time for me to revisit my couple of Wilco lps?

The vinyl boxset is very good. 3 records at 45 rpm, the full album plus a 5 track ep. Terrific sonics and perfectly pressed.

Thompson.thumb.jpg.88f2d788ffed67748c9b5bf02d1b07ce.jpg

A great album and pressing. I didn't know their was a 3 LP version though, IIRC I had mine pre ordered before release. Mine is also 45RPM over 2 records.

Have you heard Wilco's "Being There" or "AM"? More alt country in feel, and fairly straight forward without the electronics and wall of sound more prevalent in a lot of their later work.

I love the band, but your comments about the bands sound make me wonder whether you're referring to their YHF or AGIB albums?

Anyway, Jeff Tweety produced Mavis Staples "One True Vine" album too, and the vinyl version has a glorious organic sound to it. Brilliant album too imo.

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, soundfan said:

A great album and pressing. I didn't know their was a 3 LP version though, IIRC I had mine pre ordered before release. Mine is also 45RPM over 2 records.

Have you heard Wilco's "Being There" or "AM"? More alt country in feel, and fairly straight forward without the electronics and wall of sound more prevalent in a lot of their later work.

I love the band, but your comments about the bands sound make me wonder whether you're referring to their YHF or AGIB albums?

Anyway, Jeff Tweety produced Mavis Staples "One True Vine" album too, and the vinyl version has a glorious organic sound to it. Brilliant album too imo.

The 3rd lp is a 5 track e.p with songs produced by Thompson rather than Tweedy so I don't know if they were demos that never made it on the album or what. They are good tracks but not as good as those on the album. Richard Thompson has had a habit on his double vinyl releases for releasing tracks for the vinyl issue only, some of which have been rippers. I bought the deluxe 3 lp issue from a UK seller as the price was really good.

My 2 Wilco lps are Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, both bought on first release so it's a long time since I gave them time on the turntable but I recall not really liking them musically or sonically so have never bothered with any other Tweedy related stuff. However it's not unusual at all for me to have albums sitting for eons unplayed thinking I don't like them and one day give them a try and I love them and wonder what the hell was ever wrong with me as they are great. I shall bung the Wilco lps in the ultrasonic over the next few days and given them a play.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ABG said:

D'Angelo & The Vanguard - Black Messiah (2015 - EU)

Image result for d'angelo black messiah 700 x 700

First listen to this tonight and I'm really enjoying it.  Great pressing.

What took you so long!?

• Like 2

Hot off the presses, the two latest from Audio Fiidelity. The first, from BLUE CHEER ( if you name your band after a particularly dubious strain of LSD you know there will be complications.) It raises the question, is it ever possible to polish a turd. 

The answer is, no.

This trio has the distinction of once stunning a dog that strayed in front of a speaker stack - yep, they went all the way to '11'.

They could barely play, and the recording itself must have cost well over $72 in good Yankee currency. But somehow, I still have enormous affection for this sonic clusterf#%^.  Unlike, perhaps, THE CLASH, who were actually accomplished musicians, these dudes were wonderfully hopeless and a 17 year old bloke could actually play along and not go too far wrong. 

Did it need a reissue on A.F. SACD- no!!!!!!

But I am glad they did. Needs to be turned up to '11' to make any sense at all.

The second is also a hybrid SACD, " SPIRIT" . Altogether a different proposition, these guys could play, arrange and write timeless music. ( Just ask Jimmy Page).

The new transfer is marvellous. I recall that Marshall Blonstein ( Audio Fidelity boss) had a personal connection with the band, so the provenance of the tapes is beyond question. Next month sees the release of "THE FAMILY THAT PLAYS TOGETHER" and hopefully, after that, the SPIRIT masterpiece, " THE TWELVE DREAMS OF DR. SARDONICUS". Bless.

Billy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Iggy Pop - Lust for Life.   new reissue US pressing from United.

hooray - Universal have done a good job with this vinyl reissue as well!!      My old 90's digital copy is now retired.

35186717112_1ce9b38fcb_k.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, Wiffle said:

Raising Sand- Robert Plant and Alison Krauss
First time I've heard this album, and it's so, so good! Two enthusiastic thumbs up!! emoji5.png

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Have a listen to Band of Joy

Could be even better

i can't make up my mind

Band Of Joy has Buddy Miller and a group of musicians he put together and features Patty Griffin on some vocals

Both great records

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

{I can't post images

so imagine here an EP cover

three men in a bathtub

line pen-and-ink by Chris Knox

drawing of The Clean

Boodle Boodle Boodle

original 1981 pressing

Flying Nun}

A secure place in the pantheon for this one.

Original pressings of this are getting quite pricey these days.

Clean Anthology 4xLP

R-5890786-1405582831-2205.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

220px-PearlJam-Vs.jpg

Been re-acquainting with this CD, this week.

Not good.

A shining example of the loudness wars, and everything turned up to 11.

Song-writing is at 50% or less of 'Ten', so that it's not until track 5 that I'm even halfway interested.

I bought this on release in Japan in 1993, and was devastated then after having fallen completely and utterly in love with the debut album.

Must get the vinyl and see if its any better....

Edited by candyflip

1 hour ago, candyflip said:

220px-PearlJam-Vs.jpg

Been re-acquainting with this CD, this week.

Not good.

A shining example of the loudness wars, and everything turned up to 11.

Song-writing is at 50% or less of 'Ten', so that it's not until track 5 that I'm even halfway interested.

I bought this on release in Japan in 1993, and was devastated then after having fallen completely and utterly in love with the debut album.

Must get the vinyl and see if its any better....

No you're right; it's nowhere near as good as Ten; a few good tracks, but overall pretty disappointing...